kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

The egg isn't bad. Also a funny dynamic with this one where usually fans skew day 1 score high, but possible that the fanboys will be more divided than GA so curious to see how scores trend d2.

• Like 2

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

I think it is showing in the Korea scores.

But it's just one so far, and not even bad, just ok. 

Shang Chi have similar reception there and was very well received overall. 

I would wait more reactions similar to Korea before think is a pattern.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Composers re-use pieces of their own stuff all the time, but the connective tissue here and re-using the score from...that debacle...is notable for a call-out!  😅

He used it in Hulk (2003) first. It’s from the main theme.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Illuminegion Confirmed said:

The egg isn't bad. Also a funny dynamic with this one where usually fans skew day 1 score high, but possible that the fanboys will be more divided than GA so curious to see how scores trend d2.

That's why I didn't say bad but lukewarm. Agree on second point.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

If it turns out to be divisive among audience then due to the enormous opening weekend.

Civil War Legs - Finally..... A worthy opponent, our battle will be legendary..!!

I’m liking this for the Kung fu panda reference.

So I saw it a few hours ago. It feels like a movie by someone who hasn't paid attention to the MCU but is now having to wrestle with its inherent restraints while trying to tell a story about the horror of people in power fighting for a nostalgic fantasy that destroys lives. Raimi mostly succeeds albeit with many caveats, but thematically it's a bigger success than any recent Marvel movie in a while.

One of my favorites in the MCU, not one of my favorite Raimis.

saw it.

To me it's really very different from a lot of Marvel movies. it's scary and very violent in some scenes. Will it divide the audience? perhaps!
There are some scenes or plot choices that I didn't like.
The direction of Sam Raimi is there and it shows and the musical choices are fantastic.
I don't know how to rate it yet. I'll probably give it with a second viewing or as the hours go by

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Composers do this all the time with their own songs, what a pointless tweet

Composer steal from themselves all the time. the ones in demand n particular. If you have only a limited time to score a film before moving on to the next one you have to do, you cut corners.

Aside from the fact you generally only have limited time to score a film in general; it one of the last steps in making a movie.

Movies are like sausage to use an old expression; as much as you like them you probably don't want to know the details of how they are made. It's usually pretty messy.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Composer steal from themselves all the time. the ones in demand n particular. If you have only a limited time to score a film before moving on to the next one you have to do, you cut corners.

That's not an excuse, in my opinion it's like a screenwriter reusing a joke from one of his previous movies (which ironically was also done to Justice League by Joss Whedon)

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

That's not an excuse, in my opinion it's like a screenwriter reusing a joke from one of his previous movies (which ironically was also done to Justice League by Joss Whedon)

Hans Zimmer reuse one of his Black Rain tracks in Batman Begins, one of Thin Red Line tracks in Inception 

John Williams reuse one of his tracks for Attack Of The Clones in The Chamber Of Secrets 

James Horner reuse one of his tracks for Jumanji in Titanic 

The examples are countless, but these are 3 of the most respected composers of all time reusing themes for some of the most iconic soundtracks of all time. 

So yeah, it's not an excuse because there's nothing to excuse here, use collages or similar notes to do different tracks are a normal and pivotal part of composing. And that's have nothing to do with Joss Whedon making sexist jokes more than Once.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

So would people who have seen it say its definitely not the same ol same ol cookie cutter MCU for the better?

From what I have read Feige allowed Raimi to throw away the cookie cutter for most of the film.

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Hans Zimmer reuse one of his Black Rain tracks in Batman Begins, one of Thin Red Line tracks in Inception 

John Williams reuse one of his tracks for Attack Of The Clones in The Chamber Of Secrets 

James Horner reuse one of his tracks for Jumanji in Titanic 

The examples are countless, but these are 3 of the most respected composers of all time reusing themes for some of the most iconic soundtracks of all time. 

So yeah, it's not an excuse because there's nothing to excuse here, use collages or similar notes to do different tracks are a normal and pivotal part of composing. And that's have nothing to do with Joss Whedon making sexist jokes more than Once.

It goes back to the Golden age. of Hollywood. Composer like Max Steiner, Alfred Newman, Erich Korngold , Miklos Rozsa reused material constanly. They had to. They were scoring one film after another and had to cut corners to save time constantly.

Some people have a very idealistic...and unrealistic...idea of how movies are made.

And, btw, writers also borrow from themselves all the time. Do do directors. So does almost everybody who works in the film business.  It's a necessity given the time and money pressures in  making a movie.

For instance, directors, use the same shot in film after film. And that includes the great directors.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 3