kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

4 hours ago, RRA said:

If this does open to 200 million stateside (I'm not as certain on it as many are though chances are quite good!*) that would be what #5 for King Kevin? Heck could he get #6 with Love and Thunder later this summer and thus achieve that Infinity Gauntlet? 

*=I still have memories of AOU that was expected to do that and actually opened under it. Blame a boxing PPV, blame the eh WOM, it still happened.  

It would be his 6th

Avengers

Black Panther

Infinity War

Endgame

no Way Home

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Macleod said:

Most of the "first responders" who pass as Twitter "Film Critics" these days that you/we were/are perusing are not real "Film Critics" and are in most cases Fanboys/Fangirls/Fanpeople in extremely tiny "film critic cosplay."  So of course they're always fan-inclusive in genre/filmmaker rabbit-holes of short-sweet-hype-statements.  Same old naff, little nuance.  

THIS. Any idiot can put up a website and claim to be a "film critic" and seems like every idiot does.

6 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Liked it. Mixed bag of a first two thirds, and a barnstormer of a third act where everything just works and Raimi struts his stuff.  Definitely ends stronger than it starts, so I think audience reaction will be good on the whole. 

I agree. That first act was pretty rough with some questionable dialogue and performances. The biggest problem is the use of green screen in the first few scenes. Not sure what went wrong there. 

The CGI in the background looked fine, it was how obvious the green screen was for whoever was standing in front of it. Strange! 

The last two thirds were great fun, lots of surprises and great Raimi moments! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Idk if BP2 can open over 200M... im not confident  

Best chance of any mcu movie this year (and DS2 has a great chance).

Edited by Illuminegion Confirmed

RT rating absolutely doesn't impact BO. Many cases of critics loving something that splits audience (TLJ for example) or critics hating something or being mixed about it that audience loved (Joker for example).

Edited by Valonqar

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I agree. That first act was pretty rough with some questionable dialogue and performances. The biggest problem is the use of green screen in the first few scenes. Not sure what went wrong there. 

The CGI in the background looked fine, it was how obvious the green screen was for whoever was standing in front of it. Strange! 

The last two thirds were great fun, lots of surprises and great Raimi moments! 

probably was much to do with pulling me out of it…how fake it all looked early on. Distracting. I was enjoying it, but something felt off.  The composition miles off by their usual standards, and maybe much of this was what they reworked late on? 

An hour in though and I was all in, having a blast with it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

probably was much to do with pulling me out of it…how fake it all looked early on. Distracting. I was enjoying it, but something felt off.  The composition miles off by their usual standards, and maybe much of this was what they reworked late on? 

An hour in though and I was all in, having a blast with it. 

Haha so true, I feel exactly the same! I’m glad someone else noticed. 

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Haha so true, I feel exactly the same! I’m glad someone else noticed. 

yeah, part of what makes these movies work is the immersion into the fantastical. There’s some amazing imagery early on, but if it looks like the protagonists aren’t even really there then the spell is broken. Most won’t care (and there was some amazing design and animation going on) but for me the blend and lighting was hugely underwhelming.  I was particularly reminded of an equivalent scene in The Suicide Squad, which looked ten times better than this. 

just as well the last two thirds is state of the art post production.  Now I’ve mentioned it, I’m convinced the reshoots were largely in the first act.  We’ll no doubt find out soon enough. 

Oh well. On the whole it was very enjoyable and it was great to see Raimi let off the leash to this extent. I wouldn’t have predicted he’d get to go as far as he does. 

I keep comparing it to Shang Chi in my head. Except they’re opposites. Shang is amazing for the first two thirds, and then a mediocre final act. Madness gets the mediocrity out of the way in the first 45 minutes, and then the ride never looks back. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Really? Tell me Why Legion im really curious about that

Really. The first one grossed like 800M adjusted, it’s just a huge property domestically, not much more to tell

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

And I don't get the obssesion  some have with the RT rating. I don't think has much impact on the box office.

I think it does to a certain extent. DS2 stopped increasing relative to NWH in comps after reviews hit both runs, I don't think it's coincidence.

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

I think it does to a certain extent. DS2 stopped increasing relative to NWH in comps after reviews hit both runs, I don't think it's coincidence.

and i believe Eternals was doing pretty good until reviews hit

• Like 4

I thought it was fun but definitely one of the worst MCU movies. This movie was definitely confused whether it wanted to be a Doctor Strange sequel or an MCU event. It also felt rushed and I wish there was more room to breathe.
However after it was clear this movie went through significant reshoots and problems, I thought they put something together that was entertaining.

I think Marvel needs to take a step back and relax. 

• Like 1

My whole family really liked this, myself, my wife and my younger son all agreed this is our favourite marvel movie/show in the last few years, by a long shot actually. And for my older son he said this is his favourite marvel movie ever. I really liked The first movie so maybe that’s why I enjoyed this so much, I really like the character.

I don’t see why audiences would be mixed on it, it has all the stuff marvel fans should want imo but who knows lol.

• Like 3