kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

I think for big blockbusters, IMDB is fine and most of times, it falls in line to what we see (just recently, Morbius and Uncharted) . The only cases where it could be misleading is on review bombing situations. But those are mostly reported and noticeable. 

For more author movies, no. 

Edited by ImNotRacistAtAll
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

lol I think they are a good indicator of how a movie's quality is perceived, especially for the blockbusters

Joking aside, I would be very carefull with that. Imdb ratings are infamious even among other movie rating sites for the influence of fanboys/girls and haters, meaning certain films like Marvel Movies which have huge and rabid fanbases will inflate the scores.

Just now, John Marston said:

most Marvel movies are high rated on IMDb 

So? Is the insinuating that I think IMDB is unreliable is because this MCU movie is not very highly rated?

IMDB is unreliable, gets brigaded especially when it comes to controversial movies and is prone to false votings (both very high and very low ratings). I only tend to trust fan ratings when it comes from verified viewers as in the case of RT verified rating and Cinemascore. Even then not 100%

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eddyxx said:

So would people who have seen it say its definitely not the same ol same ol cookie cutter MCU for the better?

Whatever you mean by that...

It's different than other movies. Like pretty much all of P3 anyway.

It's noticably darker, if that's what you meant.

Overall enjoyable movie, I would suggest people to watch it in cinema. But some things missed for me. I was never a big fan of Raimi, I guess that's why. Def not in my top5 MCU movies. Maybe it can crack top10, have to think more about it.

Edit: Also doesn't help that horror in general is one of my most boring genres. I just don't get scared by movies. And light horror is even more boring obviously. Now that will obviously not influence my rating, because I don't let my hate for genres influence that. Just an info why some things might have missed for me, that are otherwise fine.

Edited by Inuyaki

The best indicator for WOM among the GA will always be the percentage of how much/how little a movie drops in its run. This is especially helpful after the 2nd weekend, since many well-liked Hype movies suffer a big drop in the sophomore weekend as we all know. But beginning with the 3rd weekend, the picture becomes a lot clearer.

Scores and ratings can be manipulated. The raw numbers cant.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

The best indicator for WOM among the GA will always be the percentage of how much/how little a movie drops in its run. This is especially helpful after the 2nd weekend, since many well-liked Hype movies suffer a big drop in the sophomore weekend as we all know. But beginning with the 3rd weekend, the picture becomes a lot clearer.

Scores and ratings can be manipulated. The raw numbers cant.

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm dumb. 

Edited by ImNotRacistAtAll

2 minutes ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

With a movie of this size, what would be a good 2nd weekend drop that would indicate good WOM? 

NWH had amazing WOM and dropped quite a bit but that's normal because of how massive the opening was and the front-loaded nature of it. 

NWH also had Christmas Eve on its 2nd Friday (24th), which makes comparisons unfair. Context always matters. But looking at other big MCU movies, a drop in the 50 - 58% range would be very good. Infinity War for example dropped 55%.

Truly amazing WOM for example was indicated by Black Panthers 44% drop in its 2nd weekend. Anything under a 50% drop for a MCU movie is insanely good.

Just got out of a screening for Everything Everywhere All At Once. It's a real "Now follow that!" movie. Slightly regretting the decision to see Strange tomorrow, maybe should have given it a week. Back to back multiverse stories might be an overload.

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 1

If it’s as dark and ‘scary’ as is being touted I’d already say it’ll have a pretty significant drop in the second weekend, regardless of the GA reaction. 
If word gets out it’s not for the kiddies then that’s the inevitable end result. 

1 hour ago, KJsooner said:

I’m thinking B/B+ cinema score. Just a guess though. Seems like a divisive movie. 

That would be Eternals level reception, not a single country the movie is out the reception is similar to Eternals so far, actually it's far from it. 

I don't know a good reason for this to happen in US.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

That would be Eternals level reception, not a single country the movie is out the reception is similar to Eternals so far, actually it's far from it. 

I don't know a good reason for this to happen in US.

If is confusing if you have not seen Wandavision, that could hurt it. People don't like to be confused.