kayumanggi

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS | 05.06.2022 | Disney | 4th Most Profitable Movie of 2022

2 hours ago, Wormow said:

We don't want a perfect hero, we're just tired of seeing a character go through the same arc over and over again, with little carry over from previous projects.

Also - none of the male starring leads in the movies are "bad" like Wanda is. They never will be. 

Wanda was literally a villain in her first appearances in comics and film. It’s just more interesting. I’m sure if Disney wasn’t the owner of all things Marvel we would have more anti heroes on the big screen in MCU.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Have RT increased the amount of reviews required to certify fresh or is it because of fluctuation? I haven’t checked much but every time I do it’s either 78% or 81%.

Yeah it’s at almost 200 reviews on RT. I think they have been more reluctant to certify fresh when it’s that close  since Wonder Woman 84 debacle. And I have less than 13 hours til I see it now. I’m at work now so I hope I won’t be tired later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Have RT increased the amount of reviews required to certify fresh or is it because of fluctuation? I haven’t checked much but every time I do it’s either 78% or 81%.

Nope they do that with MCU movies only for whatever reason. Even NWH and Shang-Chi were given the certified fresh tag after 200 or so reviews.

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

What is this dirt on Civil War legs? Civil War had normal legs.

Normal for "people thought it was avengers pretending to be solo but was really solo."  

Have been expecting similar for DS2 for long time. 

Though really, CW 2.49x true fss legs, same for DS2 would be perhaps 2.2-2.25ish

• Like 1

I don't know where else to post this, but this movie has one of the biggest releases I think I've ever seen for a Hollywood movie in my homeland:

Screenshot-2022-05-05-12-42-47-988-com-s

The amount of showtimes here are mindblowing to me. I don't think even No Way Home had this many. And they're filling up fast (at least the ones that were available during presales). Here are a few examples from my local mall theater:

Screenshot-2022-05-05-12-56-02-268-com-s

Screenshot-2022-05-05-12-56-18-312-com-s

Screenshot-2022-05-05-12-56-35-855-com-s

Screenshot-2022-05-05-12-57-03-296-com-s

The one at the top is not as busy because of a large chunk of the target audience being busy with school (although some faculties, including my college [which is the reason why I intend on going to the showing at 12:00], are giving students the week off as a means for connected Eid Mubarak to the weekend), but the other showtimes are already packed. And this is just Friday. Imagine how big this movie's going to be on the weekend when the adults are also free.

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Nope they do that with MCU movies only for whatever reason. Even NWH and Shang-Chi were given the certified fresh tag after 200 or so reviews.

They’re waiting for those Disney checks to clear. 😈

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

That's not right at all. Shang-Chi was certified Fresh @92% after 91 reviews and NWH was certified @95% after 116 reviews

• Thanks 1

If this does open to 200 million stateside (I'm not as certain on it as many are though chances are quite good!*) that would be what #5 for King Kevin? Heck could he get #6 with Love and Thunder later this summer and thus achieve that Infinity Gauntlet? 

*=I still have memories of AOU that was expected to do that and actually opened under it. Blame a boxing PPV, blame the eh WOM, it still happened.  

1 hour ago, RRA said:

If this does open to 200 million stateside (I'm not as certain on it as many are though chances are quite good!*) that would be what #5 for King Kevin? Heck could he get #6 with Love and Thunder later this summer and thus achieve that Infinity Gauntlet? 

*=I still have memories of AOU that was expected to do that and actually opened under it. Blame a boxing PPV, blame the eh WOM, it still happened.  

I would have been shocked with under 200 a couple of days ago but it has stalled a bit in the past two days, which has opened up the possiblity.

22 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I would have been shocked with under 200 a couple of days ago but it has stalled a bit in the past two days, which has opened up the possiblity.

199,95M OW incoming.

Wow, the critics really threw out a lot of hyperbolic statements about how much of a Raimi movie and horror movie this was. While both show up intermittently (more so in the 3rd act) this is still a Marvel Studios film for better or worse. You inject a little bit of flavour and everybody loses their minds. 

That being said I had enough fun. It largely gave me what I needed. Some laughs, some serviceable action, cheeky character interactions; the usual. When Raimi does show up to do his thing I had a smile on my face and he elevates some sequences beyond the usual MCU standard (as well as sneaking in some surprisingly gory moments). He's never given the time to build an all encompassing atmosphere, the film is a non stop train to check off all the boxes it needs to. 

Wanda is served the best, given a lot of dedicated screen time and America Chavez is a delightful addition. 

I was left somewhat tired of some of the usual motions of these films. The fan service and the teasing of future projects feel worn out and have overstayed their welcome. The lack of finality to character journeys across the board, and the film holding it's cards to play them 5 movies down the line, it all serves as a reminder of the TV format that Marvel is so taken with. Remember when you could get proper meaty character arcs in a single film?

They usually do a pretty decent job at making you feel as though you've had a satisfying meal but I was left a little empty with this one. 

It might be because I went in expecting something more distinct but I can feel the Marvel machine catching up to me. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

Wow, the critics really threw out a lot of hyperbolic statements about how much of a Raimi movie and horror movie this was. While both show up intermittently (more so in the 3rd act) this is still a Marvel Studios film for better or worse. You inject a little bit of flavour and everybody loses their minds. 

Most of the "first responders" who pass as Twitter "Film Critics" these days that you/we were/are perusing are not real "Film Critics" and are in most cases Fanboys/Fangirls/Fanpeople in extremely tiny "film critic cosplay."  So of course they're always fan-inclusive in genre/filmmaker rabbit-holes of short-sweet-hype-statements.  Same old naff, little nuance.  

• Like 3

it's sort of a total mess but enough great individual scenes that i would say it's the most i've enjoyed one of these in a while. contrary to what others are saying it's more raimi than i was expecting. enough to keep me going for another 9 years.

• Like 2