YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

Just now, DAJK said:

So, idk, am I the only one who notices that Keanu Reeves is a horrible actor? Don't get me wrong I love him in movies like John Wick, but the dude cant deliver a line any better than my old goldfish.

Clearly you haven't see Bram Stoker's Dracula. Absolutely kills it

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So, idk, am I the only one who notices that Keanu Reeves is a horrible actor? Don't get me wrong I love him in movies like John Wick, but the dude cant deliver a line any better than my old goldfish.

Implying that "I'm thinking I'm back" isn't the best delivery of any line in the past 10 years.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Blankments said:

Perhaps disappointment was the wrong word; missed potential is more like it

My predict is only at 82M, so I can definitely see it going under it, but on paper, LEGO Batman is a film that we were discussing having 100M OW potential just a few months ago. Feel like the marketing wasn't as focused as it could've been

WB's marketing was fine, and was one of the more clever marketing campaigns seen lately. People are always so quick to blame the marketing. Sure I could get the argument for maybe $80, but $100 always sounded like a hard sell, even with the Batman brand. Keep in mind this is Lego Batman, which is too childish for some people.

Regardless, this is going to land in the February top 5, which still is not a powerhouse animation or childrens month, which makes this opening even more impressive. And it's not like previous animated Batman's really lit the world on fire. 

The fact that this is going to come -/+ Lego Movie's opening is an automatic win. That alone shows how important Batman was to that movie.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

50 shades had 7pm Domestic like previews here on Wednesday night. It made AUD1.58m. Then on the full regular Thursday of release it made AUD1.36. 

I'm thinking extreme front loading.  

T-5.72

F-10.5

S-10.0

S-6

32.22m

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

$20-21 OD for Lego Batman would mean a $76-77m OW if it follows Zootopia, $80m might be doable as well if it increases bigger tomorrow.

Can't think of a reason to predict a larger increase on Saturday.

Batman is going to be slightly frontloaded, LEGO or not.

Also, looking at Spongebob: Sponge Out of Water, a 60% jump is the target.

2 minutes ago, Goffe said:

but keanu is a bad actor, i thought there was an internet agreement about that.

he's the male version of sdcarlett johansson . 

Filthy lies.

GTFO

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

50 shades had 7pm Domestic like previews here on Wednesday night. It made AUD1.58m. Then on the full regular Thursday of release it made AUD1.36. 

I'm thinking extreme front loading.  

T-5.72

F-10.5

S-10.0

S-6

32.22m

I'm hoping you're right on the chance that John Wick 2 beats it for this weekend.

4 minutes ago, jandrew said:

WB's marketing was fine, and was one of the more clever marketing campaigns seen lately. People are always so quick to blame the marketing. Sure I could get the argument for maybe $80, but $100 always sounded like a hard sell, even with the Batman brand. Keep in mind this is Lego Batman, which is too childish for some people.

Regardless, this is going to land in the February top 5, which still is not a powerhouse animation or childrens month, which makes this opening even more impressive. And it's not like previous animated Batman's really lit the world on fire. 

The fact that this is going to come -/+ Lego Movie's opening is an automatic win. That alone shows how important Batman was to that movie.

IDK what was clever about it; seemed standard for animated movies outside the awesomeness that is BAT CLIMB: THE GAME.

And LEGO is pretty popular with people in their 20s. Especially post-LEGO Movie which proved a lot of people wrong. And IMO, this doing better or equal to LEGO has no baring on the "how important Batman was to that movie." LEGO was facing a much more unique challenge of non-families saying "A movie based off LEGO? That won't work at all!" and proving everyone wrong. LEGO Batman doesn't have that has a challenge and can market more based on more uniquely Batman aspects.