YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

3 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Maybe my expectations are weird, but if LEGO Batman does less than 80M, that's a massive disappointment in my eyes. It's two of the biggest brands right now together, with an all-star voice cast, good marketing, and great reviews. Should be able to easily top Zootopia (because of the brand recognition)

:winona2:

• Like 20

8 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Maybe my expectations are weird, but if LEGO Batman does less than 80M, that's a massive disappointment in my eyes. It's two of the biggest brands right now together, with an all-star voice cast, good marketing, and great reviews. Should be able to easily top Zootopia (because of the brand recognition)

Take your expectations and lower them please 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I'm sure LEGO and Fifty Shades will have their moments this weekend, but the story right now off those previews is John Wick. I was expecting a million less at the maximum it could make, holy shit

John Wick already has a committed fanbase. It might be slightly frontloaded because of that, but it's still an impressive result.

6 minutes ago, Blankments said:

We're still in February. Anything near $80m would be almost unprecedented, and would also represent a 16% increase over The Lego Movie.  

$70-80m for an animated film even if it's a spin-off is still huge. WAG aren't at WDAS, Pixar or Illumination level yet so the fact they've scored the biggest OW for one of their films is incredible and it's more than what their previous film made in its entire domestic run. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blankments said:

Not talking legs, simply talking comparison point with Zootopia. If it does less than it, WB botched the marketing; LEGO Batman has a lot more going for it.

The hell. So what you are saying is that if Lego Batman does not beat the February OW record before Deadpool made it 130M, then it is a disappointment?

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Your expectations are weird.

9 minutes ago, Blankments said:

See, this is how people here set movies up to be "failures" in their own eyes by overestimating box office potential.  Then some will construct a false narrative around their own over-prediction that they (and others) treat as truth. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Not talking legs, simply talking comparison point with Zootopia. If it does less than it, WB botched the marketing; LEGO Batman has a lot more going for it.

I don't know about that. Even though he is very popular, Batman may be a little over-saturated at this point, though the type of film LB is is an antidote to that. Zootopia had absolute raves and insane WOM (which helped it even on OW), while LB is probably a notch below. And while The Lego Movie was a big hit, this isn't exactly a direct sequel.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

Weak in terms of XMEN outside of Deadpool is dead right now. The GA is done with this franchise for now (obviously there are plenty of Wolverine diehards that will show up but not much outside of that).

It was always a very frontloaded franchise that rely on a fanbases, but X-Men apocalypse made the top 15 of last year, with an impressive 543.9 million worldwide almost 200 million more than is direct predecessor/group of heroes First Class, and a first weekend very similar to Days of Future Past in many market once adjusted for the new exchange rate (a bit bigger even I think overall), if the movie would have been good, it would have made a lot.

You could be right (it would not surprise me) but the recent X-men related output did really good numbers:

1 Deadpool Fox $783.1 $363.1 46.4% $420.0 53.6% 2016
2 X-Men: Days of Future Past Fox $747.9 $233.9 31.3% $513.9 68.7% 2014
3 X-Men: Apocalypse Fox $543.9 $155.4 28.6% $388.5 71.4% 2016
4 X-Men: The Last Stand Fox $459.4 $234.4 51% $225.0 49% 2006
5 The Wolverine Fox $414.8 $132.6 32% $282.3 68% 2013
6 X2: X-Men United Fox $407.7 $214.9 52.7% $192.8 47.3% 2003
7 X-Men Origins: Wolverine Fox $373.1 $179.9 48.2% $193.2 51.8% 2009
8 X-Men: First Class Fox $353.6 $146.4 41.4% $207.2 58.6% 2011
9 X-Men Fox $296.3 $157.3 53.1% $139.0 46.9% 2000

The 3 most recent X-men movie are the 3 that did the most worldwide in absolute number after all, it is more because of how popular supeheroes are and how big the global box office became in general, than the X-Men in particular thought, but those are just 2 big number to stop making them and for Logan to not have a chance to break out and be a big 350+ million worldwide massive success.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Maybe on OW, but beating the final DOM total will be difficult.