YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

23 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

50 shades had 7pm Domestic like previews here on Wednesday night. It made AUD1.58m. Then on the full regular Thursday of release it made AUD1.36. 

I'm thinking extreme front loading.  

T-5.72

F-10.5

S-10.0

S-6

32.22m

That is some massive frontloading in Australia. Full day Thursday less than previews is kind of amazing.

Haven't expectations for Lego Batman been firmly in the 70-75M range since basically forever? Wonder why Blanks is disappointed when it hits that range. I felt WB did almost perfect marketing for it, instead of blowing their budget with a long campaign, they came in completely focused from a month out which is when people start paying attention anyway. That was pretty smart IMO, more marketing campaigns need to follow that and prevent saturation marketing from over a year out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

LEGO Batman was in the LEGO Movie.  I honestly don't see why it's "meh" for a spin-off of a strong hit (but not a runaway smash or anything) to be matching or even exceeding its predecessor.  I wasn't even going to be disappointment with a slight decline from LEGO.

It's not going to behave like a live action Batman movie, at all.

Spin-offs have a mixed track record, they can hit big like Minions or do terrible business like Penguins of Madagascar, I'm sure WB are thrilled with Lego Batman's numbers so far. 

• Like 1

Dnielle (cash me outside girl) is back on Dr Phil!!

I know I've gotten caught up in the media of it, and I've responded to all the snapchats i got about the show. But watching it right now is really sad, and I just hope that things end well for these people, as well as millions of other parents and children that face this sort of issue.

jamie dornan is great on that The Fall teevee show. i don't think i've ever seen a more "i don't even want to be here" performance than him in that first fifty shades. and he's got strong competition there from literally every movie morgan freeman's been in this decade.

• Like 4

It's so funny how a movie can somehow do "ok" with previews even though around here like it couldn't have been any worse or dismal. 

First of all, LEGO Batman played at 5, 7:20 and 10:10 in IMAX and they are handing out those special tickets for seeing it. We went to the 10:10 and got tickets 13 and 14 out of 1,000. I shit you not. There were FOUR people in the theater including my girlfriend and I. In the entire 8 week run of TFA in IMAX I never saw fewer than 10 people in the theater and rarely below 20. Rogue One's final IMAX showing had 4 people too which somehow is as good as LEGO Batman could manage lol. So wow in 3 IMAX showings it moved 16 tickets. I think that's by far the most pathetic thing I've ever heard from previews. This is why I won't call anything short of $10M previews "good" because clearly $2.2M doesn't mean anyone actually bothered showing up to most theaters for it. I guess this weekend will be better. The movie itself rocked and I really enjoyed it.

Can't wait to see John Wick 2, probably Saturday night!

33 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

50 shades had 7pm Domestic like previews here on Wednesday night. It made AUD1.58m. Then on the full regular Thursday of release it made AUD1.36. 

I'm thinking extreme front loading.  

T-5.72

F-10.5

S-10.0

S-6

32.22m

Aus  Wed 1.410, Thu 1.380 ,  WE (inclu Wed night  Girls night out previews)  should put WE at around  70% of FSOG  WE

earlier  had Domestic Fri looking  FSD  19-21m, Lego 15-17, JW2 10-11 

• Like 16

Just now, Fifty Shades Rth said:

Aus  Wed 1.410, Thu 1.380 ,  WE (inclu Wed night  Girls night out previews)  should put WE at around  70% of FSOG  WE

What are the likely numbers now?

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Have we gotten to the point where a 70m OW in February -- for a LEGO spinoff -- is considered disappointing?

:kitschjob: 

Only in Blanks eyes, I think it's great considering it's a spin-off and it's from a studio that isn't on the same level as WDAS, Pixar or Illumination,

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fifty Shades Rth said:

Oh well looks I might be off a little. 

Back with my original 39.7 prediction. 

Have you heard anything about John Wick 2 in Australia?

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

jamie dornan is great on that The Fall teevee show. i don't think i've ever seen a more "i don't even want to be here" performance than him in that first fifty shades. and he's got strong competition there from literally every movie morgan freeman's been in this decade.

I saw an interview with Jamie Dornan the other day and he looked like wanted to talk about anything but Fifty Shades Darker throughout the whole thing. Guess he really needed that cash (when you take on Charlie Hunnam's sloppy seconds...).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1