YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

IDK what was clever about it; seemed standard for animated movies outside the awesomeness that is BAT CLIMB: THE GAME.

And LEGO is pretty popular with people in their 20s. Especially post-LEGO Movie which proved a lot of people wrong. And IMO, this doing better or equal to LEGO has no baring on the "how important Batman was to that movie." LEGO was facing a much more unique challenge of non-families saying "A movie based off LEGO? That won't work at all!" and proving everyone wrong. LEGO Batman doesn't have that has a challenge and can market more based on more uniquely Batman aspects.

You don't need to overthink this.

A $70m OW for Lego Batman is great. End of Story.

• Like 5

I honestly don't really care whether LEGO Batman makes 65m or 85m, I'm just happy that there's finally a legitimately exciting box office weekend ahead. People talk about how the big movies are more spread out over the months and that's true, but January is still a bore (excluding the occasional breakout like Split).

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

You don't need to overthink this.

A $70m OW for Lego Batman is great. End of Story.

It should be able to top Zootopia, otherwise, it's leaving money at the table. You're not changing my mind on that 70M is just okay. Nothing to get excited about and nothing to be that upset over.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I was relieved that I didn't get The Boss Baby trailer today. That does not need to become my trailer stalker. However, Gifted might fill that spot soon :kitschjob: 

Mine is the Zookeeper's Wife.

• Like 2

Just now, Blankments said:

It should be able to top Zootopia, otherwise, it's leaving money at the table. You're not changing my mind on that 70M is just okay. Nothing to get excited about and nothing to be that upset over.

:rotfl:

Oh man, that's really something.

"Leaving money on the table"

You know this particular cartoon has a budget of about half of Zootopia's, right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I was relieved that I didn't get The Boss Baby trailer today. That does not need to become my trailer stalker. However, Gifted might fill that spot soon :kitschjob: 

Mine was Pork Pie and Fences. Both of those are out now though so yay.

Gifted and DM3 are the only movies with the potential to stalk me. BATB is the last family movie I'll be seeing until Cars 3 probably, so DM3 doesn't have many outlets to go after me. However, Gifted still isn't out for another two months and has MANY movies it could be attached to.

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

IDK what was clever about it; seemed standard for animated movies outside the awesomeness that is BAT CLIMB: THE GAME.

And LEGO is pretty popular with people in their 20s. Especially post-LEGO Movie which proved a lot of people wrong. And IMO, this doing better or equal to LEGO has no baring on the "how important Batman was to that movie." LEGO was facing a much more unique challenge of non-families saying "A movie based off LEGO? That won't work at all!" and proving everyone wrong. LEGO Batman doesn't have that has a challenge and can market more based on more uniquely Batman aspects.

WB broke the mold and tried to appeal with the older crowd, such as with the (pretty clever) Chevy ads. There was also a good amount of marketing on Spotify. There was somewhere else I saw Lego Bat promotions that wasn't typical, but I don't remember. Yes they started late, but who cares? When it comes to marketing, it's about quality, not quantity. That's why people get sick of commercials: channels play them too damn much. WB got the point across that this comes out February 10 and that's all that matters. 

And it doesnt matter if people in their 20's like Lego, we don't play with them? I don't know anyone who does... And it's two different mediums. 20 somethings love H&M, Starbucks, and Instagram, doesn't mean where about to go rush out to H&M: The Movie or Instagram 3D.

Bottom line is this is still February, and not only that, but these "20 year olds" who you think should be showing up, have John Wick AND 50 Shades to choose from. I myself have chosen John Wick over Lego Bat. Basically, you were just expecting too much. It's understandable, but putting the blame on WB and their marketing team isn't fair. Your expectations were too high.

• Like 4

LEGO Batman was in the LEGO Movie.  I honestly don't see why it's "meh" for a spin-off of a strong hit (but not a runaway smash or anything) to be matching or even exceeding its predecessor.  I wasn't even going to be disappointment with a slight decline from LEGO.

It's not going to behave like a live action Batman movie, at all.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2