franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

I think Guardians will resonate more than most MCU down the line but as a trilogy? To understand Vol 3 you need to see Infinity War and Endgame which require you to see a ton of other movies. I struggle to see audiences in 20-30 years putting in the work to catch up.

57 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

I think Guardians will resonate more than most MCU down the line but as a trilogy? To understand Vol 3 you need to see Infinity War and Endgame which require you to see a ton of other movies. I struggle to see audiences in 20-30 years putting in the work to catch up.

So… like Star Wars, then?

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Not sure what you mean there. The OT is pretty straightforward and stands perfectly well as its own thing. 

Not anymore. You are thinking of time as linear. But that’s not how we experience media, even more so in our day and age. Neither the MCU or Star Wars are what they are now by telling a straight forward story. Their cinematic universes strengths lie on how vast their sandboxes are, and how you can keep adding to their world building moving forward.

Star Wars wasn’t ‘straight forward’ once Lucasfilms licensed comic books and books about their extended universe, let alone when we got the PT, ST, tv shows and games that add up to their world.

My point is that of course that you need to see the Guardians trilogy in a package with the MCU, but that isn’t in detriment of the OG Guardians trilogy. It’s an asset on the MCU world building design. Not a fault.

2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

I think IW/Endgame do a decent enough job at being somewhat accessible to people who haven't seen the rest.

Plus there's always just reading recaps

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Not anymore. You are thinking of time as linear. But that’s not how we experience media, even more so in our day and age. Neither the MCU or Star Wars are what they are now by telling a straight forward story. Their cinematic universes strengths lie on how vast their sandboxes are, and how you can keep adding to their world building moving forward.

Star Wars wasn’t ‘straight forward’ once Lucasfilms licensed comic books and books about their extended universe, let alone when we got the PT, ST, tv shows and games that add up to their world.

My point is that of course that you need to see the Guardians trilogy in a package with the MCU, but that isn’t in detriment of the OG Guardians trilogy. It’s an asset on the MCU world building design. Not a fault.

Star Wars has always been straightforward, you don't need to do any other homework to understand any of the 11 live action movies they've released other than the other movies. All the other media is surplus which has always been the case. 

10 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Eh. Helps a bit but can skip both. They do a explanation of what occurred in GotGV3. I disagree.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Eh. Helps a bit but can skip both. They do an explanation of what occurred in GotGV3. I disagree.

Agreed. I took my dad to watch GOTG3 the other day and he followed it just fine despite not seeing either Infinity War or Endgame. It helps to see them, but it’s not essential.

• Like 1

Just finished this and wow what a sendoff to the guardians. As my favorite segment of the MCU couldn't ask for more. 

9.6/10. No 1 MCU movie for me.

This was such a fresh breath of air , great story, fantastic characters and tons of creativity the MCU and the current state of the genre has been sorely Missing and the CGI was great for the most part and action was incredible. 

This had the same budget as Thor 4 and they looked miles apart ,Thor 4 looked awful.

There is lots of reasons why mcu visuals have been currently bad from rushing vfx artists and so on but the end it's always come down to the vision and director behind the film . Guardians movies have some of the best visuals,colour palettes  and creativity in the MCU.

This trilogy is gonna stand alongside lotr among the best and  most consistent trilogies IMO

Best send off for characters in the MCU Imo.

First time I genuinely cried watching an MCU film.

It's a shame Gunn won't be doing MCU movies anymore ,terrible loss for Disney.

Wishing him the best at DCU and just makes more excited for superman legacy.

TOP 10

GOTG 3

GOTG

Winter soldier

Infinity war

Avengers

Civil war

Guardians 2

Endgame

Ironman

Antman

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 6

On 5/15/2023 at 10:16 AM, SpiderByte said:

Unlike people insisting Doctor Strange was a bomb...at 900+ million?

Understanding the difference between a bomb and an underperformance is box office analysis 101. 

Batman v Superman wasn't a bomb either. Nor was Rise of Skywalker. Just two major examples that spring immediately to mind. 

Edited by Sophie
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I just realized that this movie made more money in its second weekend than Shazam 2 did in its entire run. 

This movie was always going make more than Shazam 2. But it does further highlight how poorly the later did.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I just realized that this movie made more money in its second weekend than Shazam 2 did in its entire run. 

Feel like every other day we get some "lololol this movie made more in x days than Shazam 2's whole run" post. It's gotten pretty darn old if you ask me.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 5/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, TheDude391 said:

Easy, they'll just create new stuff where you don't need as much background to catch up, like Shang-Chi.