kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | current gross: $67,826,648

Nice, never made sense for something this big to start with a limited release in October. It would only work if it was the Christmas-to-early January corridor than many big awards movies have done succesfully.

The only question mark remaining is the theatrical window. I hope it's at least bigger than Air.

Even without actorly promotion (which sucks for Gladstone since this is a historic career changer for her), the fall season is lacking and this is one of the only films that can be truly eventized. It has prestige, the cast, the acclaim and the genre. And Leo is still one of the biggest draws alive.

Domestically, Leo and Scorsese's only collab that didn't gross 100m was Gangs of New York in 2002 (77.7m). Leo's last theatrical film to miss 100m was J. Edgar in 2011 (37.3m). And in the span of the present since Gangs in 2002, Leo's only other sub100m films were: 

December 2008: Revolutionary Road- 22.9m (platform release, never played wider than 1077 theaters)

October 2008: Body of Lies- 39.3m 

December 2006: Blood Diamond- 57.3m

July 2019: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood- 41m OW/142.5m DOM/377.4m WW

Dec 2015: The Revenant- 39.8m wide OW/183.6m DOM/532.9m WW

XMas 2013: Wolf of Wall Street- 18.4m OW/116.9m DOM/389.8m WW

May 2013: Great Gatsby- 50m OW/144.8m DOM/353.6m WW

XMas 2012: Django Unchained- 30.1m OW/162.8m DOM/449.8m WW

July 2010: Inception- 62.7m OW/292.5m DOM/825.7m WW

Feb 2010: Shutter Island- 41m OW/128m DOM/299.4m WW

Oct 2006: The Departed- 26.8m OW/132.3m DOM/289.6m WW

Dec 2004: The Aviator- 8.6m wide OW/102.6m DOM/208.3m WW

XMas 2002: Catch Me If You Can- 30m OW/164.6m DOM/355.6m WW

With IMAX and the desolation of the fall slate... I could see numbers similar to, like, Ford v Ferrari. Right now, I'd say OW around 35m, domestic around 120m, and WW around 300

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

I'm thinking in the 300 ww range at most optimistic 

Leo's last 5 films did $430m, $350m, $410m, $540m, and $380m WW respectively, don't see why people are assuming a huge drop-off?

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

35/125 sounds about right imo. This won't be a crowdpleaser like Oppenheimer, but the lack of competition will sustain legs going into Thanksgiving. It's one of the only movies in September/October that even has a chance at 100M.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Leo's last 5 films did $430m, $350m, $410m, $540m, and $380m WW respectively, don't see why people are assuming a huge drop-off?

Marty’s marvel comments might have put some people off on this movie :(

I just wish it wasn't 3 hours 30 mins. I mean, I don't care I'll love it I think. But I really think that length is gonna be a turn off for people. That just asking too much from people. I do think this actually has potential to hit over $300m WW, which would be huge, relative to expectation, maybe not the budget. That'd probably be a profit for Paramount. But I don't think it'll breakout like The Revenant bc of the length

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I can’t believe how much of an impact Marty’s Marvel comments made. Criticizing Marvel back in 2019 was apparently sacrilege. 

Audiences are catching up. 80 years old and still ahead of the curve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I think the box office potential will all come down to how much Paramount/Apple actually pushes this vs. just putting it out in theaters as a solid to Marty, suddenly shifting to a global theatrical release on the same day (probably because they've accepted Leo, etc. won't be doing any new press for this) does make me pause a bit. Delaying likely wasn't an option either. If they are able to drum up interest in a 3.5 hour drama set 100 years ago without the immediate big screen spectacle of something like Oppenheimer, at a time when the multiplex is going to be especially barren, it should be able to stand out and stick around for a while, depending on how long they're planning on it being theatrical exclusive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

yeah just like Cameron's put people off ava2

The outrage at Marvel/superhero movie critiques is selective. Denis Villeneuve made some minor criticism in 2021 and he turned into Enemy #1. James Cameron did the same last year and most people were like “Okay.”