grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

25 minutes ago, CJohn said:

We will find out August 4. It is the only major release of the weekend here.

Unfortunately that other annoyingly looking movie with an annoying lead will open with 100M OW.

Good to see another (w)Holland hater here, we need to be unite, dark days are coming. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jayhawk said:

Action-comedy-musical-drama in probably that order? It's tough to characterize.

That sounds right. And it's not a musical in the sense that the characters bust out into song, it's just that the soundtrack is heavily incorporated into the film. And it's a very nice variety of things, so it doesn't lean too much into one genre or another

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Good to see another (w)Holland hater here, we need to be unite, dark days are coming. 

I was pretty indifferent until he was cast as Nathan Drake. Then I started to notice him more and now I hate him intensely and see in him one of the most annoying pieces of shit ever.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

Action-comedy-musical-drama in probably that order? It's tough to characterize.

Unfortunately, that's why I think it could miss. Movies that are hard to pinpoint usually find their audiences after they leave theaters despite universal acclaim.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I was pretty indifferent until he was cast as Nathan Drake. Then I started to notice him more and now I hate him intensely and see in him one of the most annoying pieces of shit ever.

There's no need to worry, that movie will never happen anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Unfortunately, that's why I think it could miss. Movies that are hard to pinpoint usually find their audiences after they leave theaters despite universal acclaim.

The Tomato Law is on his side. It is gonna do fine. I think his 6 day OW will be above the 6 day OW of Baywatch.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Great sales pitch. No wonder why audiences are flocking to it.

Yep. Luckily, I can leave the promotion to the guy who does sales pitches for a living

sag-awards-snubs-jon-hamm-1024x680.jpg

Edited by MrPink

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

That sounds right. And it's not a musical in the sense that the characters bust out into song, it's just that the soundtrack is heavily incorporated into the film. And it's a very nice variety of things, so it doesn't lean too much into one genre or another

That's not a musical, it's just an 80s pop movie. :P 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

have you seen him in the Impossible or Wolf hall?  he is excellent in both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yes, it is. I'm not sure why you keep driving (heh) that point. Maybe someone who's seen it on here can chime in @MrPink @Nova @Jayhawk

Pretty late to this but yea it's definitely a comedy. Just because it has action in it and stuff doesn't make it less of a comedy imo MrPink described it best....action comedy. 

Also I wouldn't call it a musical. It just has a really good sound track that's heavily infused in the film. 

Edited by Nova

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

NYC Fandango

Spider-Man-HC on  6/26/16  (12pm) (11 days out)

- 153 Showings
- 105 Reserved
- 4 Sell outs (0 complete)

Comparisons:

Wonder Woman 5/27/17 (5 days out)
-161 showings
-86 Reserved
-0 sellouts

Suicide Squad on  7/30/16 (5 days out)
-197 showings
-46 Reserved
-3 sellouts (0 complete)

Civil War on 4/19/16 (19 days out)
190 showings
55 Reserved
21 sellouts (1 complete)

What do 0 complete and 1 complete mean?

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

That's not a musical, it's just an 80s pop movie. :P 

if they sold it like that, I would actually be interested in watching :P 

• Like 1

Apologies if the Variety social media write up has already been posted for the week...

'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Continues to Dominate Social Media

“Spider-Man: Homecoming,” starring Tom Holland as a 15-year-old Spider-Man who’s still in high school, has produced a total of 2.31 million new conversations. The tentpole opens on July 7.

Disney-Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War” produced 59,000 new conversations last week after the studio released set photos on June 22 and 25. Producer Kevin Feige revealed details for some of the Marvel characters’ fates and that the the movie — which opens May 18, 2018 — would be the final installment.

Disney-Lucasfilm’s untitled Han Solo Star Wars movie generated 47,000 new conversations in the wake of the June 20 announcement that directors Chris Miller and Phil Lord were taken off the film due to “creative differences.” The duo was replaced by Ron Howard two days later. The studio has opted to keep the May 25, 2018, release date.

Universal’s “Pitch Perfect 3” produced 41,000 new conversations after the first trailer was released on June 24. The footage showed the members of the Barden Bellas struggling with post-college careers.

Universal’s animated “Despicable Me 3” generated 28,000 new conversations last week to lift its total to 191,000. The family comedy open on June 30. The studio held its yellow carpet world premiere in Los Angeles on June 24, and launched an augmented reality promo on Snapchat.

most-talked-about-movies-6-26-17.jpg?w=6
  • Like 6