grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

45 minutes ago, YourMother said:

New Line/Warner Bros.’ It came on tracking in a very strong way with predictions that are akin to a summer blockbuster. However, taking into context the fall marketplace and the time of year, analysts are simmering them to on the low end $50M, and on the high end $60M.

From DHD

The fall market is not weak. That's what studios, for whatever reason, still try to tell us. Every time is the right time, if you open a movie, people want to see. 

When will they finally stop to create that self-fulfilling prophecy? They rather stuff the so called blockbuster season with more movies, people can pay for and then leave them hanging with material, they hate themselves, in certain months. 

13 minutes ago, Nova said:

At 11:35 on Pulse 

1. THB 

2. Annabelle 

3. Emoji 

4. Nut Job 

5. DM3 

THB is at 25 sets of tickets a minute. 

Didnt count LL but I don't know why it's not in the top 5 because it's selling okay 

It must have really picked up since an hour ago it did 50 sales over 10 minutes

• Like 2

Just now, TalismanRing said:

It must have really picked up since an hour ago it did 50 sales over 10 minutes

It did. I checked around 10AM and it was at number 3 and selling slowly. 

But thats the thing with Pulse. You could check for half an hour and it be slow for a movie and then check an hour later and it pick up haha 

4 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

The fall market is not weak. That's what studios, for whatever reason, still try to tell us. Every time is the right time, if you open a movie, people want to see. 

When will they finally stop to create that self-fulfilling prophecy? They rather stuff the so called blockbuster season with more movies, people can pay for and then leave them hanging with material, they hate themselves, in certain months. 

IT is opening on the post Labor Day weekend frame, so yes, it is following what is historically a slow time of year (and always will be, Don't Breathe last year was a fluke).

16 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

When fear will go down (lower cost or other revenue source boosting margin).

Right now, so much is in stake, movie slate are becoming with so many less entry, that they really want to have comparable to point out after the movie fail if it fail to keep their jobs, similar movie at similar date, IP marketing numbers, anything. Opening a good budget movie without being able to compare to an recent equivalent is just too much for most right now.

Every time is the right time, if you open a movie, people want to see. 

That is a bit of a trivial circular argument, and start with the answer that people do not want to see different type of movie during summer weekdays than christmas season, than fall season, etc...

There is so many time people point out a movie didn't open at the right time or too fast, etc... after they fail, there is probably some timing and competition involved. There is better weekend than others imo (Christmas, july summers, award season that studio have a good reason to fight for them and depend on the movie)

August do feel like a self-fulfilling prophecy a lot.

Edited by Barnack

Don't be fooled by Logan Lucky's weak pre-sale numbers. It's marketing is focused on rural areas where online ticket tracking misses. Plus people in these areas buy tickets at the theater, because they don't like to buy tickets online. Looking at fandango pulse all the ticket buying are mostly all are in the bigger cities. 

• Like 1

Logan Lucky 29 234 12.4%
Hit Man's Bodyguard 126 1,138 11.1%

Logan Lucky is picking up nicely. I am still seeing a sub 500K preview though. It is still 4 hours til the first showing so things might change.

HMB is doing very well. It is currently out-pacing Atomic Blonde but still behind Dark Tower. I am expecting a preview number right between them (1.7M). 

Just now, CJohn said:

LL above THB? :thinking:

Logan Lucky is looking to be incredibly walk up based; THB had a solid advantage over it a couple hours ago.

I should also mention AMC is running a promo for Stubs members where you get 1k points for seeing LL tonight

Edited by WrathOfHan

THB has sold 60 tickets for tonight. It was at about 20 this morning when I checked. 

LL is at 9 tickets. It was at 5 tickets this morning when I checked. 

Ill do another quick check right before showtime to see how much more each film adds.

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Logan Lucky is looking to be incredibly walk up based; THB had a solid advantage over it a couple hours ago.

I should also mention AMC is running a promo for Stubs members where you get 1k points for seeing LL tonight

Theaters sure are desperate to put butts on the seats :lol: 

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

They did the same thing for Annabelle last week FWIW

Doesn't change what I said one bit. You are just giving more proofs that my theory is correct :lol:

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Regal offering 500 points for watching THB