grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

11 minutes ago, RRA said:

So this very well could make more on one day (albeit Thursday night rolled in with friday) than JUSTICE LEAGUE did on its OW? 

That's pretty much a guarantee. I highly doubt TLJ will make less than $93M opening day. I...just can't imagine such a scenario. $45M in previews + $50M true Friday gets you $95M and I think that's the absolute minimum.

• Like 3

The biggest question for Star Wars TLJ is not whether Thursday will be huge - it will be.  It's how big it is relative to the weekend - right now, my local has more shows scheduled Thursday for Star Wars than it does Saturday...so we could end up seeing a new low for previews to weekend multiplier...

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The biggest question for Star Wars TLJ is not whether Thursday will be huge - it will be.  It's how big it is relative to the weekend - right now, my local has more shows scheduled Thursday for Star Wars than it does Saturday...so we could end up seeing a new low for previews to weekend multiplier...

From what I see, compared to most openers there are strong presales the entire Weekend.

So naturally, due to the huge preview number, the ratio will be low but SW8 will likely make 100-110 million dollars on Sat and Sunday without much an issue I think. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

From what I see, compared to most openers there are strong presales the entire Weekend.

So naturally, due to the huge preview number, the ratio will be low but SW8 will likely make 100-110 million dollars on Sat and Sunday without much an issue I think. 

That's what I'm thinking - this is gonna be between 3.75-5x for previews to weekend...but I do expect an enormous preview!:) (Although, I say this, and I'm adding to the Saturday number!:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not even close. Most theaters have way more weekend showtimes here and they’re equally busy. There are few “good” times Thursday whereas noon to 10 Saturday is looking strong.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's what I'm thinking - this is gonna be between 3.75-5x for previews to weekend...but I do expect an enormous preview!:) (Although, I say this, and I'm adding to the Saturday number!:)...

There are a lot of theaters not done making their schedule yet.  

• Like 2

In Charlottesville, VA -

Thursday night: 12/27 showings are sold out

Friday: 13/41 showings are sold out

Selling out at a much slower pace than TFA, but there are FAR more screens available now. An Alamo Drafthouse opened its doors here over the summer adding another 11 screens, and TFA was a watershed mark in Regal stupidity. Violet Crown opened here about a month before TFA, and Regal announced it would only show movies for which it had the local exclusive. Violet Crown somehow won the right to show TFA and Regal refused to share (instead showing In the Heart of the Sea on like 6 screens), so Violet Crown was the only game in town for TFA. They couldn't have asked for a better launch for their new theater. It was pretty funny. They cancelled everything else and spent over a week showing nothing but TFA on every screen. Regal doesn't do that anymore, so there are significantly more showings for TLJ as there were for TFA.

Interestingly, Regal is charging an arm and a leg for tickets (75% of screens are some combination of IMAX, 3D or both, giving adult evening ticket prices ranging from $20.70 to 15.30, compared to $13 for Violet Crown and $12 at Alamo) and they are selling out at a noticeably slower pace. 8/13 Violet Crown showings on Friday are sold out vs 1/12 for Regal.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 3

Posted this in the TLJ thread but gonna post it here too:

Lots of theaters are starting to post their full schedules for the weekend around me and most of the multiplexes are booking this in between Rogue One (which got 4 screens at most places) and The Force Awakens (which got 6-7), so about 5 screens. Starting to think the opening will land right dab in the middle so $205M sounds about right.

13 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

1st local is UP (Cinemark)...

NEW

Star Wars (3 - this did NOT change - 16 total showings starting before 9am Fri - drops to 14 showings Sat/Sun in a more normal start) - this is a surprise -no added screen - I blame the Disney terms...

Ferdinand (1 - 1 3d showing / 4 2d showings)

Returning

Coco (KEEPS 2 - that's another shock, but our school system is out as of Friday, so maybe it shouldn't be - it's gonna be enormous family week here)

Justice League (1)

The Star (3/4 - it actually INCREASED its showings here and will now have 4 - however, it still ends by 5pm)

Wonder (1)

Daddy's Home 2 (1/4 - it splits with The Star and gets the 2 late shows - this is a shocking split to me, b/c I thought DH2 would have been a family seller, but I guess not - this must only attract teens and up here)

Thor (3/4 - has 4 showings, but last is 7pm)

MOE (3/4 - has 4 showings, but loses the 7pm one)

There are 1.5 open screens, so they may be getting more foreign films or limited ones...or saving room for Star Wars adds... 

As expected Bad Moms lost their sole showing, and all the foreign films from last week didn't get rebooked...surprisingly, Just Getting Started is fully dropped (or maybe they are getting 1 showing from the extra) and I'm more surprised 3 Billboards is so far, too...but EVERYTHING ELSE STAYED!  Pretty much if you attracted families, you won the "holdover" lottery...so that may be a warning to all the adult fare limiteds coming and going - they may be REALLY limited for screens and runs...gotta sell that popcorn!:)

Well, it's official - Star Wars is starting with less screens than It and Thor at this local with just 3 (1 3d, 2 2d)...they just booked the foreign film Aruvi with the last open screen (so now, they just have a 7pm and 10pm showing open to add which may be going to a 2nd foreign film, but we'll see)...

My 12 Screen + IMAX Theatre is NOT effing around: You CAN'T EVEN buy tickets online for anything but Star Wars and Ferdinand.  There's twelve 2D showings and 4 IMAX 3D showings of TLJ scheduled DAILY for the next week, so you're looking at four out of twelve screens plus the IMAX.  What a trip.

Edited by captainwondyful
clarifying showings for TLJ

Full showtimes aren't up at my AMC yet, but SW just got an extra 3D screen. That's now a total of four screens and 18 showings (7 2D/11 3D). By comparison, Rogue One had three screens which essentially became four because most of Miss Sloane's shows were canned :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Greatest Showman is embargoed until 12:01am the night it opens. That confident, huh, Fox?

Nominated to Best Picture Musical or Comedy at the Golden Globes ladies and gentlemen.

It could've been The Big Sick but naaah

• Like 2