grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This is really useful.  I don't have the time right now, but going back and checking Aquaman's first day sales and then applying a rough 4x to it might give us a ballpark figure as to where Endgame stood as of that report.  I know Atom and Fandango will be different, just by definition.  Still might give us a general idea.

NOT IT!  :ph34r:

(still really busy, now in the middle of error checking ;))

Aquaman was unusually high on Atom though due to the Prime sneak previews, it even beat IW 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew said:

But WB did it first. They released Shazam trailer on CM premiere and Shazam social media embargo lifted on CM previews. 

This is like.. 

Tit for Tat. 

That is appearing to be a pretty bad idea as well. Shazam looks like it’s getting caught up in the massive marvel whirlwind. Will still be a nice money maker for WB but if sales and other metrics are to be believed, it’s going to be Ant Man 1 levels at the max 

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

And both CM plus End Game will make more in their OWs than Shazam will in its entire run :ph34r: Tit for Tat? Or 

tenor.gif?itemid=4775235

Probably some (very small) chance that Endgame only needs OD for that :ph34r:

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Haha 1

WB's marketing campaign was embarrassing for Shazam. It's probably gonna the best reviewed one of these this year, and it'll gross the least outside of the two Fox-Men write-offs.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

WB's marketing campaign was embarrassing for Shazam. It's probably gonna the best reviewed one of these this year, and it'll gross the least outside of the two Fox-Men write-offs.

I mean, it's an inherently a smaller-scale, lighter movie, and as we saw with the Ant-man movies those just don't have the same GA appeal as the big blockbusters, and with the lower budget it's very difficult for it to bomb

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

You keep saying this, but I see no proof of how Shazam's marketing was bad. It had the same marketing as Aquaman and Wonder Woman + very early embargo lift and paid previews. There's nothing else they could've done. Except of course releasing it some other month.

Edited by nevermore

Just now, Menor said:

I mean, it's an inherently a smaller-scale, lighter movie, and as we saw with the Ant-man movies those just don't have the same GA appeal as the big blockbusters, and with the lower budget it's very difficult for it to bomb

Deadpool was also a "smaller scale, lighter movie", and ditto Ant-Man 2. They both made over $210m domestic (Deadpool making well above that), and the general consensus seems to be that Shazam!'s better than both of them. All WB had to do was do a proper ad campaign, instead of one trailer in July and then nothing until the month before release, and even then still barely marketing it.

• Like 2

Can’t we just “marvel” at what Endgame is doing without dunking on DC? Besides, who really thought that Shazam was going to compete with Captain Marvel and Endgame? Seems to me that Matthew borderline trolls at times, so I wouldn’t take him seriously.  Come on people! In any case, the AMC app finally appears to be working without glitches. Most showtimes for Thursday previews are at least half full in the NY area and most are “almost full”. It’s possible that the glitches cost AMC some serious cash as other chains like Regal reaped the benefits. This is going to be huge. How huge? Well, we can just sit back and enjoy the ride. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Can’t we just “marvel” at what Endgame is doing without dunking on DC? Besides, who really thought that Shazam was going to compete with Captain Marvel and Endgame? Seems to me that Matthew borderline trolls at times, so I wouldn’t take him seriously.  Come on people! In any case, the AMC app finally appears to be working without glitches. Most showtimes for Thursday previews are at least half full in the NY area and most are “almost full”. It’s possible that the glitches cost AMC some serious cash as other chains like Regal reaped the benefits. This is going to be huge. How huge? Well, we can just sit back and enjoy the ride. 

I didn't even talk about Shazam presales today. Wtf are you saying? 🙄🙄🙄

9 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I didn't even talk about Shazam presales today. Wtf are you saying? 🙄🙄🙄

Did I say that you mentioned presales?You mentioned that DC attempted to obstruct CM when you darn well know (or should know) that is not likely. No one in their right minds thought Shazam would ever compete or obstruct CM in any way. Whereas, the Avengers is one of the best franchise films in history. It would crush any movie except maybe Star Wars. That is why studios usually give Marvel (Disney) breathing room in their release dates. Anyway, I don’t know why I wasted my time responding to you. You know what you were trying to do and that is dunk on DC. This is not the thread for that, so I will let members savor what is historic day for presales. Bravo Endgame! 

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

I honestly just wanted an excuse to post this gif 

tenor.gif?itemid=4775235

But I suppose I can post it plenty of times in the End Game weekend thread when End Game mows over every record there is...

is the kid alright :what:

1 minute ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Did I say that you mentioned presages?You mentioned that DC attempted to obstruct CM when you darn well know (or should know) that is not likely. No one in their right minds thought Shazam would ever compete or obstruct CM in any way. Whereas, the Avengers is one of the best franchise films in history. It would crush any movie except maybe Star Wars. That is why studios usually give Marvel (Disney) breathing room in their release dates. Anyway, I don’t know why I wasted my time responding to you. You know what you were trying to do and that is dunk on DC. This is not the thread for that, so I will let members savor what is historic day for presales. Bravo Endgame! 

He responded to a joke that Disney specifically released tickets today to bury Shazam - which was also ridiculous as it was also a joke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

I honestly just wanted an excuse to post this gif 

tenor.gif?itemid=4775235

But I suppose I can post it plenty of times in the End Game weekend thread when End Game mows over every record there is...

No problem with jokes or actual criticism. My comment was more towards posters like shivampa and lordnox, who are bending numbers to make ot look like shazam is already a failure.

• Like 2

Shazam could do $400M WW and it would still be a success because WB kept the budget on it low for a CBM. Unless it opens to sub $30M or something, then it’s gonna be a success no matter what. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Shazam will do fine. Its under $100m budget. Next week and the next after are pretty dead so it has time for WOM to have an impact. 

Hellboy 3 er Hellboy Redux though is hot on it's heals.

I can't believe they're once again giving Hellboy a death slot

• Like 1
  • Haha 1