grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

but Maleficent 2 tickets started to pop up locally at a few theaters sometime today but are NOT yet for sale.

Same here, the times are listed but you can't buy.

Judging by the times, looks like the movie will be somewhere in the 115 minute range, give or take.

As for Downton Abbey, my assumption has been that fans would want to go out and catch it in the opening week or two, and then no one else would care, so it would fall off a cliff. Though I've been wrong before.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Wait, am I reading this right? Downtown is going to break out?

Probably just fans frontloading it. But FWIW, it’s also doing really well in Denver. As of yesterday:

616/1407 with 10 showings for Sept 12th

173/1867 with 14 showings for Sept 19th

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Oh wow! Never seen a single episode of that show but it looks like fans are excited. 

Fans are very excited...(and I agree with kitik), they will turn out for this early and often...and then the box office for Downton Abbey will fall off a cliff...

On 9/3/2019 at 8:32 PM, TwoMisfits said:

So, I'm back from a week's vacation, but figured I'd mention my locals' set again to see how the big release (and the holdovers) are doing...and there are a few surprises and a semi-massacre on the holdovers (but not a full one)...1st local (Cinemark) set...

NEW 

It 2 (6 - 25 showings) - not gonna bother mentioning sizes b/c it gets the big screens - this is a huge set on par with supers, but not as high at TLK and Endgame got - the theater got a great set, but not a full clear out...maybe lesson slightly learned from TLK

RETURNING

Saaho (1 - 4 showings - apparently, it was so slow Labor Day, this got double screened last week)

Angel Has Fallen (1 - 5 showings)

Good Boys (1 - 6 showings)

Dora/Mission Mangal (1 - 3 showings/2 showings)

Spidey EC/Angry Birds (1 - 4 showings/1 showing) - not only does Spidey stay, but it only loses 1 showing from its Labor Day set...Angry Birds took the hit and gets to only keep the 10am...gotta love school in session - only 4 showings total for "kid" movies right now - 3 for Dora and 1 for AB

GONE

The Lion King, Toys 4 (school is in session and Spidey beat it in the Labor Day expansion, so Spidey obviously won and kept the extra week), Ready or Not (that was fast). Hobbs and Shaw, Scary Stories 

One screen still open - I'm sure a foreign film will get it...but let me say - it's pretty funny that theaters just won't let go of the super - TLK and H&S and even Scary Stories had the better per theater averages last weekend, but Spidey stays and not them...schools are in now, and folks just drop into supers any day of the week...although I'm also curious if Sony might have also offered theaters a sweetheart deal for rebooking Spidey to help get it to $400M...

So, it's almost not worth mentioning, b/c nothing is breaking big this weekend, but then, I thought, well, maybe this will show which holdovers might have the stronger legs (aka - there's only TWO of them if you don't count Spidey which already has great legs:)...so here's my 1st local's (Cinemark) set...HEAVY on foreign films to make up for probably overscreening It 2 last week...

NEW

Dream Girl (FF) - (1 - 4 showings - smallest size)

Gang Leader (FF) - (1 - 4 showings - 2nd biggest size - yes, it's a very down week when the foreign films are pulling special engagement prices and bigger theaters)

Hustlers (2 - 10 showings - above average size and smallest size) - what can I say - the theater gave It 2 6 screens last weekend, and it probably wasn't the best call...so something needs to fill the screens now - why not Hustlers, when there aren't any other big films around:)...

Chhichhore (FF) - (.5 - 2 evening showings - smallest size)

Pailwaan (FF) - (.25 - 1 evening showing - smallest size)

RETURNING

It 2 (3.75 - 15 showings - 2 biggest screens and 2 smallest screens) - so, it loses 11 showings in a week...and it probably would have lost more if there were any more openers this week

Angel Has Fallen (1 - 5 showings) - same set

Good Boys (1 - 6 showings) - same set

Spidey FFH (.75 - 3 showings) - So, it keeps all the day showings here and just loses 1 showing from last week...did I mention if there were any other openers, they'd be getting booked:)...

That's it - nothing else returned - that's how bad the market is and how dead it is right now for American films:)...

GONE

Dora AND Angry Birds (Spidey takes on the family role - nothing else here to do it - and families must be a VERY light market right now), the 2 other foreign films

Still .75 of a screen not booked (mostly morning and afternoon showings)...not even sure they'll bother, but if they do, it will be another foreign film... 

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

https://www.businessinsider.com/joker-projected-to-break-box-office-records-2019-9?utm_source=reddit.com    

Paul Dergarabedian, the Comscore senior media analyst, has a different outlook this early out. He's projecting a more conservative $50 million-plus domestic opening because it's "not your typical comic-book movie," he told Business Insider. 

But he believes that the movie will be "more of a marathon runner than a sprinter," and have legs long after its opening weekend, both domestically and internationally, especially if buzz continues to grow during awards season.

A pretty different perspective! I dunno if I agree but I thought it was interesting.

17 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/joker-projected-to-break-box-office-records-2019-9?utm_source=reddit.com    

A pretty different perspective! I dunno if I agree but I thought it was interesting.

I can see a slightly boosted Fallout type run from Joker, which would be excellent for it

Downtown Abbey Thursday Night(12th) Showings Denver

AMC Westminster Promenade 24:

Dolby:

7 PM – 118/217(+12) 

AMC Highlands Ranch 24:

Dolby:

7 PM – 124/210(+8)

Total from 9 theaters(9 showings): 630(+14)/1350(-57)(46.7%)

A showing was taken off, and it was at 45/57. Kinda weird, but this was the only theater with 2 showings. Maybe they’re only supposed to have one? So, the tickets sold today were actually 59.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hustlers Thursday Night Showings Denver

7 PM – 56/92(+18)

10 PM – 13/92(+9)

AMC Highlands Ranch 24:

NEW 7 PM – 6/37(+6)

NEW 9:15 PM – 0/41

Total from 8 theaters(17 showings): 237(+85)/1920(+136) (12.3%)

OUATiH comp: 1.93M

Hobbs comp: 2.19M

Lion King comp: 1.25M

IT 2: 1.3M

I don’t really have any good comps for this, so take all of these with a grain of salt. I’d say the OUATiH comp is the best one out of these, but even then, OUATiH’s previews started at 4.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, kitik said:

Goldfinch?

It's bad that I actually forgot this was opening...I guess my local did, too:)...

Considering all the movies I watched this summer and all the tv/internet my family consumes...I've never seen or heard an ad/trailer for it...if you'd have asked me, it could have been opening 3 weeks from now:)...and if it makes double digits this weekend, long live movie subscribers:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Hustlers Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 42 353 6,373 5.54%

Total Showings Added Today: 16

Total Seats Added Today: 2,848

Total Seats Sold Today: 81

Comp

0.384x of Once Upon 2 days before release (2.23M)

1.810x of Scary Stories 2 days before release (4.22M)

3.209x of Good Boys 2 days before release (6.74M)

Hmm...this was a pretty lukewarm day. Most of the sales were from new theaters added, which is disappointing considering how strong it started. Of course, there could be reasons for this; with how strong Hustlers initially started, it probably already got a good chunk of its audience, and this is just course-correction. And even then, the comps are still quite high. But I really hope there's better results tomorrow and Thursday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

The Goldfinch, counted today at ca. 11am EST (I did not see any Thursday showtimes):

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): so far no showtimes
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): 33 (total tickets sold for Friday, 4 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): 58 (4 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 12 (3 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 12 (4 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 5 (4 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Center Point 11): 3 (4 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 68 (4 showtimes)
LA (AMC Bay Street): 17 (4 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 41 (4 showtimes)
Total tickets sold in 9 theaters till Wednesday for Friday: 241.

Comps: The Art of Racing in the Rain (8.1M OW) had on Wednesday at that time 97/118. For Blinded by the Light (4.3M OW) which also had no Thursday previews I counted at that time on Wednesday 95 tickets.
So that's despite the reviews not that bad for The Goldfinch, would put it at ca. 10M OW. But probably walk ups will be very muted now (I guess).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 9/4/2019 at 8:06 AM, TwoMisfits said:

2nd local (Regal) also made their decision today...and if I thought my 1st local held back on It, well, this theater did it one better...they must still be following the "new subscribers want lots of movie options" and when they looked at It 2 presales and the coming September, decided not to do really any clear out, b/c It 2 gets the average supers set, which means far fewer showings b/c of its length...I mean, LOTS of holdovers that I'd have expected to drop stayed on here...here's the set...

NEW

It 2 (3.75 - 15 showings) - biggest screens, but only 15 showings - that's a lot lower than I would have thought

RETURNING

Angel Has Fallen (1 - 5 showings)

Overcomer (1 - 5 showings)

Ready or Not (1 - 5 showings)

Good Boys (1 - 5 showings)

Dora (1 - 5 showings)

Hobbs and Shaw (1 - 4 showings)

The Lion King (1 - 5 showings)

Angry Birds/Scary Stories (1 - 2 showings/3 showings)

Don't Let Go (.25 - 1 showing - amusingly gets the morning show on an It screen)

GONE

47 Meters Down, Blinded by the Light, Toys 4, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (and seems they never rebooked Spidey last weekend - which surprises me, but then again, maybe they don't want subscribers going to a supers movie b/c they could literally go every day:)...none of these movies had more than 1-2 shows last weekend, except Once, so they'd have been who I predicted would drop anyway...

2nd local (Regal) is up...not much to say, except they are continuing a pretty rapid clear out:)...but there are again some holdover winners (and Hustlers, which again gets more than 1 screen...b/c there's nothing else...and before you ask, since this place doesn't book foreign films, it did actually put in The Goldfinch...yep, that desperate...here's the set)...

NEW

Hustlers (1.8 - 9 showings - above average and average) - seems subscribers might buoy this b/c one of the prime time showings is a virtual sellout Friday night...and everything else is empty:)...

The Goldfinch (1 - 4 showings - smallest) 

Brittany Runs a Marathon (1 - 5 showings - smallest)

RETURNING

It 2 (2.8 - 11 showings) - lost a screen, but not as bad a drop, since it never got an enormous set to start with

Angel Has Fallen (1 - 4 showings) - lost a showing b/c it got placed as a "latest starting" screen

Overcomer (1- 5 showings) - this has now moved to an above average sized screen, b/c, why not?:)

Good Boys (1 - 5 showings) - same as last week

Dora (.4 - 2 showings) - hilariously, since it's sharing with It 2 and Hustlers, taking morning and early afternoon, it actually gets a biggest and above average screen to waste - it did lose 3 showings, though

Hobbs and Shaw (1 - 4 showings) - same as last week

TLK (1 - 4 showings) - starts as a latest screen, so also loses one showing

GONE

Ready or Not, Angry Birds, Scary Stories, Don't Let Go

I think next week will turn over even more films, since I think this theater is just gonna book all the wide openers and see what sticks b/c, why not?:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Dolby:

7 PM – 118/217(+12) 

AMC Highlands Ranch 24:

Dolby:

7 PM – 124/210(+8)

Total from 9 theaters(9 showings): 630(+14)/1350(-57)(46.7%)

A showing was taken off, and it was at 45/57. Kinda weird, but this was the only theater with 2 showings. Maybe they’re only supposed to have one? So, the tickets sold today were actually 59.

Dolby:

7 PM – 131/217(+13)

AMC Highlands Ranch 24:

Dolby:

7 PM – 131/210(+7)

Total from 9 theaters(11 showings): 676(+46)/1552(+202)(43.6%)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2