grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

but isn’t Jungle Cruise already a disaster? 

$200m budget, $23m from 47 international markets. 

The Suicide Squad did $7m from 5 markets. 

We're talking about domestic.

If JC can open to 35M, there's absolutely no excuse for a DC movie opening lower. 

Covid didn't stop JC which wasn't even hyped to overperform this weekend so no, if TSS open with 25M we can't close our eyes and pretend it's Delta fault.

Everyone knows the Delta variant is a concern, the other SS movie is bad, HBO Max release and Rated R isn't helping. That's why everyone will be ok with an 40M opening when the last one opened with 133M, but honestly presales are indicating mid 20 right now and that is unnaceptable. Even Space Jam manage to open higher than that.

I sincerely hope things pick up the next days and the movie have excellent walkups because i'm sure it's a great movie, and it can happen. But presales so far seems like a real disaster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Sure it is, but TSS is much bigger film than JC. Having same budget means nothing.

In terms of box office, of course it does. The Rock is a bigger draw than anyone in The Suicide Squad and Jungle Cruise isn’t a sequel to a generally disliked film. 

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Suicide Squad opening lower or same range as Dark Phoenix (32m), Fantastic Four 2015 (25.6m), Ghost Rider 2 (22m) would be indefensibly bad

Did they compete with covid and have a streaming option? 

Honestly, I knew this would happen 😂😂

You all give Jungle Cruise a pass and pile on The Suicide Squad. Predictable. 

• Like 3

Charlie brings up good points how DC hasn’t earned trust the way MCU has so they don’t receive benefit of doubt. And despite the raves, Suicide Squad isn’t selling something new or a novelty after Deadpool, Guardians, Shazam and of course the first Suicide Squad and BOP. There’s no Batman, Aquaman advertised bonkers action and Wonder Woman was the first solo female movie. 

But as I said recently and similar sentiment repeated here, it’s frankly insane a good comic book movie is going to open this low. I would have assumed 50m was the floor

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

In terms of box office, of course it does. The Rock is a bigger draw than anyone in The Suicide Squad and Jungle Cruise isn’t a sequel to a generally disliked film. 

Did they compete with covid and have a streaming option? 

Honestly, I knew this would happen 😂😂

You all give Jungle Cruise a pass and pile on The Suicide Squad. Predictable. 

You’re in full stan mode for Suicide Squad. Good luck this week, you’re going to need it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't buy the HBO Max excuse either.

I'm sure it is harming all the movies, but this doesn't stop all the movies to have acceptable openings at least.

WW84 make 17M in a way worse environment, without vaccines and with half of theaters closed. GxK have a great opening. Conjuring 3 have a solid opening, Space Jam as well.

TSS opening close to Mortal Kombat will generate a meltdown, and a understandable one.

• Like 4

Moderation

That tears it. You guys want to act like children? Then I'm treating you like children. I'm locking the thread up for a little bit so everybody can calm down and stop trying to get into each other's throats. I'll unlock this later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1

Okay, it's quiet now, so I will reopen things. But before we get back to things, I'm going to lay out to people here what I want to see in this thread and talk to a few people here who are exacerbating things.

While I understand the importance of talking about buzz and why a film went wrong, things are going way too far here. It's getting to the point where it's clogging up the actual numbers and diverting into a real Monday Morning Quarterback...before the weekend has even started.

No matter what the evidence is right now, we can only do educated guesses on what The Suicide Squad's opening weekend will be. There's no point going into hysterics...in fact there's no point going into hysterics. This is a DC film and DC will still make movies from now until the end of time. We'll likely still get Margot as Harley Quinn and we'll likely get some sort of Suicide Squad content for years to come. James Gunn will still be employed and will probably have a smash hit with Guardians 3. The world will not break down because The Suicide Squad didn't make a lot of money.

I know it, you know it, stop being a theatrical little baby.

So what I ask from people here is in this specific thread is to the following: numbers, articles about tracking, and basic commentary. If you want to talk about people's numbers and mention if you think The Suicide Squad is doing poorly or not poorly, that's fine. However, there is no need to go into any insane detail. You don't have to go into any hyperbole. You don't have to talk about how DC has lost its way. You don't have to talk about how Zack Snyder ruined everything. You don't have to talk about how WB ruined everything. You don't have to start arguments that you know, deep down will go nowhere.

Just take a minute before you post on the following: "Is my post worth it? Is it too unpleasant? Is it something I've already said before? Am I provoking people here? Will the world blow up if I don't talk about how The Suicide Squad is an epic failure?" If anything like that is the case, then just don't post.

And if you want to kickstart these arguments, or if you see somebody you disagree with say something, I can only advise you to just ignore it. Trust me when I say that you don't have to get into a fight or an argument about every single detail. Just let people post what they think and move on.

Is that all clear? Okay then. Now let me also talk more specifically to a few people here who are starting up some stuff:

@TheCinephile Just from your brief time here, you seem to be an absolute troll and nuisance. You love to "haha" posts that talk about how poorly TSS is doing in presales and "Not Cool" people who are saying otherwise. All this indicates to me is that you're here to troll and get a rise out of DC/Gunn/Suicide Squad fans. Your behavior, simply put, is unacceptable, and I implore you to act like an adult, or else face some consequences. Because I don't really appreciate what you do in this thread.

@titanic2187, sometimes franchises falter or go through bumps. And quite honestly, there's no need for the whole "sad such a big franchise like DC can only muster 30-40M". All this stuff does is create sky-high expectations, get a rise out of fans, and spark flame wars about the state of the franchise, whether you intend to or not, all of which we really, truly don't need right now. You're not as bad as Cinephile here, but I really don't want this kind of stuff here either way.

@Krissykins, you are also not off the hook here. While I understand the frustration of people dogpiling something you love or people being supposedly hypocritical about something, yelling back at them does not make things better. And while some people here who are championing Jungle Cruise and dogpiling Suicide Squad are doing it out of volition, others, and more specifically the very people here in the Tracking Thread, just think Jungle Cruise's opening is not that bad and are not doing it out of bias or malicious intent. If you disagree with them, that's fine. But whining about how this forum's full of hypocrites just because of people's different perspectives and thoughts on a film's performance is beyond immature and indicates, to me at least, you're throwing a hissy fit over people not being ultra nice on a movie you're excited about.

And quite honestly, the attitude you're exhibiting, notably on the post I hid ("I stan horror movies, which are actually profitable in this pandemic lol") is obnoxious, passive-aggressive, and something I don't want to see here. So all I'm going to say is this: if you don't like what people are saying, just ignore it. It makes things so much easier for everybody and you won't have to pull your hair out. It's okay to not reply to somebody.

And to all the people here who don't like what I'm saying or think I'm being too harsh, know this: you don't have to post here. There are hundreds of other forums out there that have rules you may feel more comfortable with, and it's okay to move on.

This is all I'm going to say on the matter, and I expect everybody here will behave themselves. If not, then I'm gonna have to force out ol' Gallagher on you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Skipper Eric said:

Just take a minute before you post on the following: "Is my post worth it? Is it too unpleasant? Is it something I've already said before? Am I provoking people here? Will the world blow up if I don't talk about how The Suicide Squad is an epic failure?" If anything like that is the case, then just don't post.

I think you guys at the mod team should also take a moment to ask yourselves those questions before insulting Snyder fans by calling us weirdos and part of a cult. It's very hypocritical to do that and then demand regular members to be pleasant and respectful.

• Like 2

It would be extremely frustrating to see TSS open under $30 mil. I'm still optimistic about a $50+ mil OW, but I have no clue how to predict in the covid age. No clue how much HBOMax siphons from the theaters, etc etc.

But it's extremely frustrating to also read people just trolling the film for no reason. Such is the way of online forums.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Though I have a theory, that has Superhero movies evolved to exist in shared universes with little interest by audience in something which doesn't have any large picture in universe it is set in.

Joker did over a billion right before Covid.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 4:37 PM, Inceptionzq said:

Suicide Squad Denver Thursday Showings

AMC Westminster 24

Total 122 661 18.46%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 67 753 8.90%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
452 47 10791 4.19% 15 53

Showings added: 3

Seats added: 525

Black Widow comp: 2.41M

F9 comp: 4.16M

AQP2 comp: 4.92M

Adjusted Hobbs comp: 5.60M

Picking up some steam. The Hobbs comp is still extremely close to @Porthos's

Suicide Squad Denver Thursday Showings

AMC Westminster 24

Total 147 661 22.24%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 76 753 10.09%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST 2 DAYS TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
534 82 10791 4.95% 15 53

Black Widow comp: 2.50M

F9 comp: 4.09M

AQP2 comp: 4.28M

Adjusted Hobbs comp: 5.01M

Comps are slowly but surely starting to converge.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Astonished 1

On 7/30/2021 at 4:39 PM, Inceptionzq said:

Suicide Squad Megaplex

T-6 days Thursday: 221(+34)/9046(+397) in 13 theaters

T-7 days Friday: 154(+12)/19554(+948) in 12 theaters

Suicide Squad Megaplex

T-4 days Thursday: 284(+63)/9046 in 13 theaters

T-5 days Friday: 189(+35)/19554 in 12 theaters

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

It would be extremely frustrating to see TSS open under $30 mil. I'm still optimistic about a $50+ mil OW, but I have no clue how to predict in the covid age. No clue how much HBOMax siphons from the theaters, etc etc.

But it's extremely frustrating to also read people just trolling the film for no reason. Such is the way of online forums.

I’m hopeful that it’ll perform similarly to how it performed in the UK this weekend. I know Delta is seemingly ravaging the US at a higher rate than it currently is in the UK (we’re still around 25k cases a day though, so even though it’s dropping it’s still high, and it didn’t seem to deter people, including me who made it my first film back), but based on what I saw from checking my local Cineworld it didn’t appear to be a particularly presale heavy film. It didn’t really start filling up until a day or two before, and even then I’d say my screening had more walk ups than presales based on how many people I saw in the actual screen.

I’m thinking $40-50 million OW, probably on the lower end, but I do genuinely think it’ll leg out quite decently when WOM kicks in.

• Like 2

I'm happy with anything over 40M, i think this is a good number all things considered.

My dream numbers is +40 for TSS and +30 for Free Guy. And of course, JC, TSS and FG all having good legs and surpassing 100M domestic.

I was going to say before the thread closed that i truly believe most of people here aren't rooting for a failure. Right now we're not in position of wishing bad things to any movie, we need many as possible successful movies. I think the discussion is more because having signs that maybe an mid 20 OW is possible make everyone shocked, not because we're hating on it. The few trolls, like mod said, should be just ignored.

That said, i still believe there's enough room for improvement and i'm curious to see this week numbers which is the real deal.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Menor said:

Do you have a BW/F9 comp for this? Just out of curiosity.

Thursday

BW: 1.09M

F9: 2.41M

Friday

BW: 1.79M

F9: 3.42M

I was gonna wait until every theater had showtimes up for Thursday/Friday, I didn't record the individual theaters' numbers, but I suppose it won't make much of a difference for a general picture.

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 3

What a depressing read these last few pages have been. You are probably going to think why is a Disney fan defending a DC film but I actually really enjoy some DC films and characters and want to see the good ones do well and this seems like a great one.

Obviously this thread is focused on previews/OD/OW but that is only one part of a films success legs will also play a part and reviews plus early audience reception seem good from the little look around I’ve had. I’ll be adding to the legs (internationally) as I plan to do a TSS and Free Guy double header in a couple of weeks with a bunch of friends, which should be a great time.

Also I know HBO Max will hurt in some way but lets not forget Raya which everyone thought would have terrible legs (due to streaming/piracy) but it actually legged out to one of (if not the best) pandemic multiples. I know this is purely anecdotal so take with a massive grain of salt but I loved Raya so much on PA (I was in lockdown during opening weekend) that I went and saw it again in theatres a couple of weeks later, so if it is well received that could be a possibility amongst a small few. Raya obviously only opened with around $8m (before getting over $50m and being the 2nd or 3rd biggest domestic film and one point if I remember correctly) but even if TSS opens to $20m there is nothing to say it can’t leg it out to $60m or $80m (before you comp to any other WB films for this year none have been as well reviewed for a fan property)

Also as I mentioned in my other post in that other thread, I have been through some shit, so if you quote this and turn it into some fan war nonsense (on either side) then I’m going to add you to my ignore list because I can’t be fucked dealing with that shit right now, I’m also probably not going to be back here until Thursday anyway so you’ll be having a one sided conversation anyway.

Hopefully sales pick up for TSS and hopefully I haven’t derailed this thread.

• Like 2