grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

37 minutes ago, YourMother said:

You seem familiar.

Not really. I am kind of new this forum and at predicting box office. My reasoning was that Justice League would benefit from the wonder woman success, and they literally attracted new female audience (52% opening week) to watch the movie. Wouldn't we see a higher female ratio this time around too for justice league? And Thor:Ragnarok won't perform like previous thor movies since its Thor + Hulk (+ the planet hulk back story). 

3 minutes ago, harsh3090416 said:

I tried searching for audience demographic/male-female ratio for BvS but wouldn't find anything. Does anyone have any idea of what the stats were for the audience ratio or where I could find them?

They are really hard to find, sometime for big movies you can look at the mpaa annual report of the movie released year:

http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2016_Final.pdf

Civil war was 59-41% for example, bot luck for BvS

But the first weekend/OD male/female ratio for wide release information is easy to find, google the name of the movie + cinemascore + audience over 25 and you will usually have it in the first page of result:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/03/27/batman-v-superman-box-office-dawn-of-justice-soars-to-mostly-super-170-1m-weekend/#b1c5c666cd79

The film played 62% male and 60% over 25-years-old

That give some idea, but first weekend is not necessarily the same than the total (it moved a bit for Wonder Woman for example)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, harsh3090416 said:

Not really. I am kind of new this forum and at predicting box office. My reasoning was that Justice League would benefit from the wonder woman success, and they literally attracted new female audience (52% opening week) to watch the movie. Wouldn't we see a higher female ratio this time around too for justice league? And Thor:Ragnarok won't perform like previous thor movies since its Thor + Hulk (+ the planet hulk back story). 

WW attracted new female audience over the run of the film but considering the opening numbers fewer women went to WW ow/ than BVS.

62-38  - 38% of $166m o/w - $63.08m in tickets

52-48 - 52% of $103m =  $53.56m in tickets

Now was that increase due largely to WOM and reviews?  I think so.  How will that translate to JL?    As Shawn pointed out it's far easier to predict and opening than legs.  I think the $150m ballpark is about right, it's the total that's more of a wild card

The opening for Thor will have the boost of Hulk but also comes on the back of a disappointing TDW.  My guess is reviews will play a strong part in whether it opens to $90m or $120m+.  Right now $100m seems a reasonable guess.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

American Made honestly feels like it's bound to get lost in the shuffle a bit, especially getting saddled between Kingsman and Blade Runner. Probably would've fared better had it opened at any other time.

They should opened it in August at the same time as OS

• Like 2

Thor 2 OW adjusted is $91m, but had The Avengers boost. Something like $90m-100m seems reasonable. However given TASM2 did $97m adjusted, Thor3 would wind up to over $100m, imo

Depending on presales I see JL between $150-165m, below Catching Fire OW adjusted.

Edited by XO21

lmao, Sony isn't doing previews for Flatliners :rofl: Nowhere around Orlando has showings for Thursday. My AMC originally had a Thursday show but removed it not long after tickets went on sale, and I thought that was some kind of error until I checked other theaters just now.

Edited by WrathOfHan

19 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lmao, Sony isn't doing previews for Flatliners :rofl: Nowhere around Orlando has showings for Thursday. My AMC originally had a Thursday show but removed it not long after tickets went on sale, and I thought that was some kind of error until I checked other theaters just now.

Is there press showings?

Well, it's a new one for this week - one of my locals is preselling nothing for Thursday night or Friday at this point...and it's Tuesday...

They had American Made preselling last night on Fandango, but pulled it (it hadn't sold a ticket yet)...I don't quite know if they pulled it to change its theater allocation or what...

This is gonna hold down presales for this theater, though...can't sell what you aren't selling...

PS - My mall is also funny - right now, it's only preselling 1 8pm Flatliners show on Friday whereas it has a full screen for the day for its other new movie presales...that's another new one for me, b/c it's not like this is a Saturday release:)...guess they are also gonna decide very late if this gets shoved in a small screen or a big one for its other showings...if it gets other showings (but I can't imagine a 16 won't give it a few per day - there aren't that many money-making movies out right now:)...

Jeepers Creepers 3 is #4 on MT and is selling out in my area for reserved seating.  The only downside is, they are all small theaters with one showtime.....  I hope they add more showtimes.  This seems like a small maximum number.  Therefore to rank on MT by filling up small theaters at one showtime, it must be pretty easy to land on top 5 MT.

Edited by Matrix4You
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

Jeepers Creepers 3 is #4 on MT and is selling out in my area for reserved seating.  The only downside is, they are all small theaters with one showtime.....  I hope they add more showtimes.  This seems like a small maximum number.  Therefore to rank on MT by filling up small theaters at one showtime, it must be pretty easy to land on top 5 MT.

Jeepers Creepers update:  I looked more into the showtimes and shows are being added or have been there all along.

Here are a bunch of reserved seating reports.  I am going to take a long nap and try to update this before 7pm.

Southern California theaters only.  Full capacity includes handicap reservations.  All prices are $12.50 except for one location at $10 which is shown.

Medium Regal

7:00 - 64/72

7:00 - 19/72

Medium Cinemark #1

7:00 - 52/71

Medium Edwards

7:00 - 69/81

Medium Cinemark #2

7:00 - 95/101

9:30 - 90/101

11:00 - 81/101

Medium Cinemark #3 ($10)

6:30 - 83/89

Large Cinemark #4

7:00 - 137/208

7:00 - 155/201

Medium AMC #1

7:00 - 88/93

7:00 - 16/97

Medium AMC #2

7:00 - 34/34

7:00 - 11/77 (just added)

Large Harkins (Mall)

7:00 - 125/137

7:00 - 70/109

7:00 - 96/137

4 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

anyone else got any?

One large theater sold out, can't see it now but  ~250 seats. My theater one showing 163 seats full with just front 2 rows left.  But the showings of Spyder even more impressive with most sold out or almost despite $25+ tickets ($28, $29 even).  This may be one heck of a Tuesday box office...if those 2 report

• Like 1