grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I know people are focused on End Game right now BUT I just checked my theater for John Wick 3 sales and I wouldn’t be surprised at a $45-50M opening for it if not more BUT I don’t wanna set expectations too high. Essentially what I’m trying to say is that it’s selling really well at my theater thus far. 

Also an update on Detective Pikachu. It’s passed Shazam’s 10 day update at my theater and it’s passed Dumbo’s week of sales at my theater (Did an update for both Shazam and Dumbo the week Dumbo came out). Its sales have been pretty steady. There wasn’t a rush in the beginning at my theater and there hasn’t been a rush for the tickets yet but sales have been chugging along. Still don’t know what any of it means though so :bagoverhead:

John Wick had a limited time promo of buy a ticket download the other Wicks for free.  But I don't doubt it will open bigger than the last.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I know people are focused on End Game right now BUT I just checked my theater for John Wick 3 sales and I wouldn’t be surprised at a $45-50M opening for it if not more BUT I don’t wanna set expectations too high. Essentially what I’m trying to say is that it’s selling really well at my theater thus far. 

Also an update on Detective Pikachu. It’s passed Shazam’s 10 day update at my theater and it’s passed Dumbo’s week of sales at my theater (Did an update for both Shazam and Dumbo the week Dumbo came out). Its sales have been pretty steady. There wasn’t a rush in the beginning at my theater and there hasn’t been a rush for the tickets yet but sales have been chugging along. Still don’t know what any of it means though so :bagoverhead:

To be fair I think dumbo would have had a good opening if the reviews weren’t as trashed as it was. Killed a lot of the buzz for movie 

but movie hopefully picks up after endgame release. If not then gotta hope walk up rate is good 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

There was an offer of free download of John Wick and John Wick 2 if you buy ticket of John Wick 3, perhaps that helped initial sales. Shall we wait.

Yes but I posted/checked to see if it’s sales steadily increase or drop off. I just wanted to get an idea of where it started off is all lol 

Edited by Nova

23 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

17:00 Pacific 4/15/19 (End of Mon)

1	26.5%	Avengers: Endgame
2	16.5%	Shazam!
3	8.6%	Dumbo
4	7.8%	Little
5	7.3%	Captain Marvel  

Running about 60% ahead of Shazam, vs 46% last Mon. Tomorrow should actually be a very close finish, not sure which way it will go. The other 4 movies are much the same as yesterday. 

17:00 Pacific 4/16/19 (End of Tues)  

1	17.6%	Shazam!
2	17.1%	Avengers: Endgame
3	12.8%	Little
4	8%	Dumbo
5	7.5%	Captain Marvel   

Shazam edged it out. Also CM was 85% of Dumbo on MT yesterday, but 97.5% BO. Today it’s 94% on MT, very curious what the ratio of actuals will be (maybe >100%?)

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

I only posted the theatre count estimates assuming it might help for the calculations here, to have a starting point

= a bit like tracking, starting point, than it gets up (for expected successes).

Was the first tangible count I have seen.

Can imagine they allow CM... to be show less for a few days to give room for Endgame

Funnily BOM added it not under new releases, but under no change.... when 1. a new release, and 2. we pretty much expect a change :slaphead::rofl:

> NEW RELEASES
2 - The Curse of La Llorona Warner Bros. (New Line) 3,400+ - - 1
4 - Breakthrough Fox 2,764 - - 1
6 - Penguins (Disneynature) Buena Vista 1,815 - - 1
7 - Kalank FIP 320 - - 1
8 - Fast Color Lionsgate 20 - - 1
9 - Red Joan IFC 3 - - 1
> NO CHANGE
1 - Avengers: Endgame Buena Vista 4,400 - - 0
10 99 Christ Stopped at Eboli (re-release) Rialto 1 - - 3
> DECLINING
3 2 Dumbo (2019) Buena Vista 3,225 -481 -13.0% 4
5 6 Captain Marvel Buena Vista 2,653 -322 -10.8% 7
Edited by terrestrial
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

hmm just realised: FOX Breakthrough, Disney Penguin nature, Endgame, CM, and Dumbo that's a lot of theater counts at once.

Mary Poppins and Ralph breaks the Internet both closed 11 April

Edited by terrestrial

56 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

hmm just realised: FOX Breakthrough, Disney Penguin nature, Endgame, CM, and Dumbo that's a lot of theater counts at once.

Mary Poppins and Ralph breaks the Internet both closed 11 April

Why some of us aren't so thrilled about Disney owning Marvel or FOX. They're inching towards monopolistic power. 

4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Why some of us aren't so thrilled about Disney owning Marvel or FOX. They're inching towards monopolistic power. 

The fuck, Disney's owned Marvel since 09. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

@Deep Wang can u try getting numbers on upcoming Friday (till Thursday, I mean). Will provide good base to my extrapolations.

Monday/Thursday are my go-to days because that’s what the majority of past comps are. 

However, I can only ask, I’ll get the numbers whenever they give them to me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Deep Wang said:

Monday/Thursday are my go-to days because that’s what the majority of past comps are. 

However, I can only ask, I’ll get the numbers whenever they give them to me. 

You can't use the Wang to persuade their cooperation in our endeavors?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Not a fan of the FOX merger myself, but Disney till now did not have a lot of movies out per year during the recent years, and even less at once in namable amounts. As such I'd word it slightly in another way.

Disney buying Marvel lead to the pushing out of a few of the worst leading ppl at pre-Disney Marvel, there I can not agree. Not sure if Marvel Studio would even still exist or how long, pretty sure Feige would not be with Marvel anymore.

I added a second theater in my area, total of 4138 seats sold out of 5706 available, 72.5% and a dollar value of $34,498 for the 2 locations (going by the lowest available price for each seat) for Thursday previews only, meaning for 3600 theaters that would be about $62.1m.

Some overperforming locations here to be at that level more than a week out.  And I think more showtimes will be assigned as well.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Not a fan of the FOX merger myself, but Disney till now did not have a lot of movies out per year during the recent years, and even less at once in namable amounts. As such I'd word it slightly in another way.

Disney buying Marvel lead to the pushing out of a few of the worst leading ppl at pre-Disney Marvel, there I can not agree. Not sure if Marvel Studio would even still exist or how long, pretty sure Feige would not be with Marvel anymore.

You have a point there as I like Feige, although I can't imagine they wouldn't exist.  I can't say I know enough about "worst ppl" at Pre-Marvel Disney to speak to your other point. 

31 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

You have a point there as I like Feige, although I can't imagine they wouldn't exist.  I can't say I know enough about "worst ppl" at Pre-Marvel Disney to speak to your other point. 

Ike Perlmutter would still be in charge if MCU still existed. For sure, Feige would be gone as he despises Ike. Thank God Disney bought Marvel and curbed Ike's power or I don't even want to know where we would be.

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2