grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

seems like it’s a global expansion. How much do you think it’ll make 

Not much. There isn't really any new footage so I don't think people will care outside of the hardcore Marvel fanbase.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Disbelief 1

Very few EG expanded showings in Sacto atm.  Mostly still wide open spaces on Fri.

One prob though.  Century Arden put it an EG slate late last night... And kept the time between showtimes at 4 hours.  The other couple of theaters that have EG listed  in the region bumped it up to around 4:20 or so.

I suspect that when folks at Arden get a good look at the time sheet, they're gonna have strip nearly all of the trailers to make it all work. Or at least cut down on them. 

I do know that when EG mania was at its height, some theaters in the region squeezed the window to 3:45 between showings, so even with all the extra content a 4 hour window might still cut it.

But I strongly suspect the cleanup crew is NOT gonna be happy.  Especially since folks WILL be staying 'till the end of the credits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The other thing is, the auditoriums selected so far aren't very large at all:

Fri only:

Cen Arden

10:20a:   18/55 sold

2:20p:     19/55 sold

6:20p:     29/55 sold

10:20p:   18/55 sold

Cen Greenback:

11:55a:   19/67 sold

4:05p:     18/67 sold

8:20p:     25/67 sold

Cen Roseville:

12:50a  non-reserved seating.

5:10p    non-reserved seating.

9:30p    non-reserved seating.

No one else has anything up yet when it comes to EG.

===

Not really commenting on the seats sold this far out, as they've only been up half a day, I'm pretty sure.  More commenting on the size of the auditoriums they're being put into.  One screen so far at each theater, and on smaller auditoriums.

We'll see what happens when the rest of the rollout in Sacto happens at the other theaters when it comes to amount of screens and size of auditoriums as well as what happens if these start selling out/get close to capacity.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Which is a fair assessment and one I had considered. The fact that it’s over CM is a bigger accomplishment. What I glean from all of the announcements, is the only films with bigger 1st 24hr sales are the 2 most recent Avengers films and the Disney Era SW films. 

No, it's above the Disney SW films. Deadline stated TLK was the second biggest first day sale, only behind Endgame. So it beat out TFA, TLJ, RO, IW, etc.

32 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The thing that gives me pause with TLK is that we just had an animated film which beat I2's first day sales but didn't come close to sniffing I2's preview/OW.  

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not taking a single thing away from TLK's first day.  It was hella strong.  But I am wary of over-interpreting it is I guess what I am saying.

The other thing to point out is that while beating Captain Marvel's first day on Fandango is impressive, no matter how it's sliced, CM did start selling tickets nearly two months out (59 days out).  I think that probably deflated the opening a bit.

Still, as I said, TLK roared on its first day.  We'll see where it roams from here.

I knew somebody was gonna bring up Toy Story, and while Toy Story had other factors that helped it beat out I2, it's important to recognize that Star Wars is arguably the most presales-driven franchise of all time. Solo's first 24 hours beat out fucking Black Panther. Rogue One did more than Infinity War for God's sake. And sure, TFA was four years ago, and presales have grown exponentially, but the fact that the movie held onto the record for that long until Endgame, in spite of films like Batman v Superman, Civil War, Rogue One, Beauty and the Beast, The Last Jedi, Black Panther, Infinity War, Incredibles 2, and Captain Marvel, says a lot about how big the presales for Lion King seem to be at the moment.

I'm not gonna say this is going to do like $2B or something, especially because the film could very well lose momentum as the weeks go by, but I feel like people need to understand that being second best still means a lot.

From Deadline:

Annabelle Comes Home, which has cameos by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga’s paranormal investigators The Warrens is seeing $30M-$35M from Wednesday to Sunday. Older males because it’s an R-rated horror film are expected to be there with hope that young females show up to (Child’s Play second biggest demo after men were females under 25 last weekend). Previews start tonight at 6PM tonight. Theater count is 3,525 for Wednesday and Thursday growing to 3,587 on Friday. The last Annabelle, a prequel, Annabelle: Creation, carried a dismal August box office back in 2017 with a $35M opening and $102M final domestic. Annabelle Comes Home reps the feature of directorial debut of Gary Dauberman who wrote the first Annabelle and adapted the Stephen King It pics for the screen. The Warrens bring the evil doll back to their artifacts room in their home, and Annabelle creates havoc by creating stirring up a lot of evil stuff in the room, and well, it’s Judy’s turn to cry in this threequel. She’s the Warren’s 10-year old daughter who Annabelle torments. Annabelle Comes Home is 66% fresh .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

No, it's above the Disney SW films. Deadline stated TLK was the second biggest first day sale, only behind Endgame. So it beat out TFA, TLJ, RO, IW, etc.

Second best of the year, not all time.

Disney’s The Lion King in its first 24 hours of advance ticket sales has rung up the second best first-day sale of the year for Fandango after Avengers: Endgame, while Atom Tickets declares it’s the company’s best first-day sales for a family movie.

In addition for Fandango, The Lion King is the ticket seller’s best first-day presales for a Disney release outside of the Star Wars or Marvel Cinematic Universe, outstripping 2017’s Beauty and the Beast, the previous record-holder. Tickets went on sale at 6 AM PT yesterday for the the live-action feature adaptation of the 1994 Disney animated feature toon, which opens July 19.

The new list of first-day Disney-live action advance ticket sellers on Fandango (outside Star Wars and MCU) are as follows: The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. 

It specifically says it DID NOT beat various SW films in the blurb.

Still very good though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

This year. It’s behind TFA, TLJ, RO, IW, etc.   

Curses, foiled again by @Porthos. They’re a menace I tell ya.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

I could also tell you looking at local numbers I would have been flat out flabbergasted if it had come remotely close to TFA's first day sales.  Locally, it didn't even do half of Solo's first 27 hours for pete's sakes.  It was also well behind IW, which is a more accurate yardstick IMO than EG.

• Like 2

You know, now that I re-read that Deadline blurb, does anyone find the phrasing of the following a little odd:

"In addition for Fandango, The Lion King is the ticket seller’s best first-day presales for a Disney release outside of the Star Wars or Marvel Cinematic Universe"

Why even put that disclaimer in there unless there WAS a non-Disney film that beat TLK?  In a previous year, of course.

Do we think JW:FK beat TLK's first day?  Anyone know how well it did on its first day of pre-sales from reporting from the trades?  I know that it was close on Fandango Pulse, but we already know that can be an imperfect measurement for something like this.

===

Now this is Deadline we're talking about here.  So maybe they just wanted to fluff up Disney by calling attention to the company by name.  At the same time though, the disclaimer there gives me a little pause.  Gives a weasely out in case they get called out on something.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Second best of the year, not all time.

It specifically says it DID NOT beat various SW films in the blurb.

Still very good though.

12 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

This year. It’s behind TFA, TLJ, RO, IW, etc.   

Curses, foiled again by @Porthos. They’re a menace I tell ya.

Well excuse me for being lazy.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Now this is Deadline we're talking about here.  So maybe they just wanted to fluff up Disney by calling attention to the company by name.  At the same time though, the disclaimer there gives me a little pause.  Gives a weasely out in case they get called out on something

It's called Clickbait.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I could also tell you looking at local numbers I would have been flat out flabbergasted if it had come remotely close to TFA's first day sales.  Locally, it didn't even do half of Solo's first 27 hours for pete's sakes.  It was also well behind IW, which is a more accurate yardstick IMO than EG.

If it was close to TFA’s 1st day presales then we’d be having a serious discussion about a $400m opening. 

Idk where the opening (or previews) will end up, but I’m confident it’ll be in-between I2 and TFA OW.

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

It's called Clickbait.

Yeah, but now I'm curious. :lol:  Couldn't find any comments about JW:FK's first day from Deadline, so perhaps not.  Didn't see anything about it in this thread, either.  Don't think DP2 would qualify (that got separate reporting for getting R-rated records)

So just chalk it up to Deadline Gonna Deadline, I suppose.  Still, the way they phrased it makes my eyebrow raise very very slightly.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

You know, now that I re-read that Deadline blurb, does anyone find the phrasing of the following a little odd:

"In addition for Fandango, The Lion King is the ticket seller’s best first-day presales for a Disney release outside of the Star Wars or Marvel Cinematic Universe"

Why even put that disclaimer in there unless there WAS a non-Disney film that beat TLK?  In a previous year, of course.

Do we think JW:FK beat TLK's first day?  Anyone know how well it did on its first day of pre-sales from reporting from the trades?  I know that it was close on Fandango Pulse, but we already know that can be an imperfect measurement for something like this.

===

Now this is Deadline we're talking about here.  So maybe they just wanted to fluff up Disney by calling attention to the company by name.  At the same time though, the disclaimer there gives me a little pause.  Gives a weasely out in case they get called out on something.

I feel like Batman v Superman was a movie that probably had obscenely high presales on its first day. Can't prove that of course, but it just seems like an easy case.

• Like 3

Annabelle comes home picked-up very well ..Spidey Keeps the pace ... 

BUY TIME	      TICKETS	 MOVIE TITLE
--------------------------------------------------
2019-06-25 14:00:00	1191	Toy Story 4
2019-06-25 14:00:00	270	Annabelle Comes Home
2019-06-25 14:00:00	161	Aladdin (2019)
2019-06-25 14:00:00	145	Men in Black International
2019-06-25 14:00:00	134	The Secret Life of Pets 2
2019-06-25 14:00:00	130	Spider-Man Far From Home (2019)
2019-06-25 14:00:00	119	Avengers Endgame (2019)
2019-06-25 14:00:00	106	Childs Play (2019)
2019-06-25 14:00:00	91	Toy Story 4 3D
2019-06-25 14:00:00	71	Rocketman
2019-06-25 14:00:00	62	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
2019-06-25 14:00:00	57	Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019)
2019-06-25 14:00:00	57	The Lion King (2019)
2019-06-25 14:00:00	50	Shaft (2019)
2019-06-25 14:00:00	45	Anna (2019)
2019-06-25 14:00:00	45	Yesterday (2019)
2019-06-25 14:00:00	44	Dark Phoenix
2019-06-25 14:00:00	36	Toy Story 4 The IMAX 2D Experience
2019-06-25 14:00:00	31	Late Night (2019)
2019-06-25 14:00:00	18	Spider-Man Far From Home The IMAX 2D Experience (2019)
2019-06-25 14:00:00	16	Annabelle Comes Home The IMAX 2D Experience
2019-06-25 14:00:00	14	Kinky Boots the Musical
2019-06-25 14:00:00	14	The Dead Dont Die
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I feel like Batman v Superman was a movie that probably had obscenely high presales on its first day. Can't prove that of course, but it just seems like an easy case.

Yeah that's the only one I can think of either, BaTB barely beat Civil War in total PS so I would expect BvS to have been above it, and since TLK took that record from BaTB it makes sense

• Like 1