grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Hollywood Reporter says that Detroit is tracking for $13M. They call it "soft" but that would really be a stellar start for a movie from a first-time distributor with no starpower and is apparently such a draining sit. Thinking it settles for closer to $10M, though.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/detroit-marketing-leans-horror-make-a-sell-1025639

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

How can they track IT? Must be hard considering it's one word, short, title.

I imagine you are talking about trying to track social media sentiment and volume about the movie ?

It is not perfect but they have technology (a lot was developed from stock trading bot, that buy/short/sell stock depending on social media, parking lot surveillance camera and other metric available automatically) that try to distinguish when someone mention Apple in a tweet, is it about the fruit or the company, and thousands and other words with many meanings. They use the context of the tweet (if it is a re tweet or anything like that), the person previous tweet the other word used in it anything related to clown, Stephen King, movies, etc....

But a lot of the tracking is still old school, asking a bunch of people directly in theater all around the country I think.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2017 at 4:26 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Nothing is gone.

The Emoji Movie: 9 (7 2D/2 3D; 2nd Biggest and Average)

Atomic Blonde: 6 (2nd Biggest and Average)

Girls Trip: 6 (Up 1; Average and 3rd Smallest)

Baby Driver: 5 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Despicable Me 3: 5 (Flat; Average and 3rd Smallest)

Dunkirk: 5 (Flat; Biggest)

Spider-Man: Homecoming: 5 (Flat; 3 2D/2 3D; 4th Smallest)

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: 5 (Flat; 2 2D/3 3D; Average)

War for the Planet of the Apes: 5 (Down 8; 3 2D/2 3D; Average)

Wonder Woman: 5 (Flat; Average and 3rd Smallest)

The Big Sick: 3 (Down 2; Smallest)

Wish Upon: 2 (Down 3; Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Baby Driver, The Big Sick, and Wish Upon are gone.

The Dark Tower: 6 (Biggest)

Detroit: 6 (Average)

The Lion King: 6 (4 Standard/2 Sing a Long; 3rd Smallest)

Kidnap: 5 (Average and Smallest)

Atomic Blonde: 5 (Down 1; Average)

Dunkirk: 5 (Flat; 2nd Biggest)

The Emoji Movie: 5 (Down 4; 3 2D/2 3D; 4th Smallest and 2nd Smallest)

Girls Trip: 5 (Down 1; Average)

Spider-Man: Homecoming: 5 (Flat; 3 2D/2 3D; Average)

War for the Planet of the Apes: 5 (Flat and lost 3D; Average and Smallest)

Despicable Me 3: 4 (Down 1; Average)

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: 4 (Down 1; 3 2D/1 3D; 4th Smallest and 2nd Smallest)

Wonder Woman: 1 (Down 4; 4th Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, no one has any right to complain if it does "just" (lmao) a $50-60M opening.

It's still a September record if it breaks $50m which is why I'll be fine with it if it does do that.

Just now, Jonwo said:

It's still a September record if it breaks $50m which is why I'll be fine with it if it does do that.

Sure but you know there will be people downplaying that opening just because it didn't reach their (unrealistic) expectations, as usual.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hollywood Reporter says that Detroit is tracking for $13M. They call it "soft" but that would really be a stellar start for a movie from a first-time distributor with no starpower and is apparently such a draining sit. Thinking it settles for closer to $10M, though.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/detroit-marketing-leans-horror-make-a-sell-1025639

I'm sure Annapurna would be thrilled with $13m considering it's a tough sell. It's not even particularly expensive at $30m and I imagine if it does $40-45m domestic, it'll be considered a success. OS is a different matter as it's being done by local distributors but I can't imagine they're expecting to do huge business. 

My theater's getting The Dark Tower on 2 screens, Detroit, Kidnap, An Inconvenient Sequel, and Landline this weekend. Notable news among holdovers is that Lady Macbeth is getting dropped completely after one week while A Ghost Story is being sent to the last show on Emoji's second screen. No surprises, really.

• Like 1