grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

29 minutes ago, Nova said:

No. Just no. 

Next thing ya know movies are gonna be like "Afternoon previews!" And start previews at 12PM....the day before release. 

How far we've come. Midnight previews. TO THIS! 

Isn't that what they do in the UK with the blockbusters, a week of previews rolled into the opening weekend? I remember that from following Harry Potter back in the day.

:lol: at The Nut Job 2 actually happening, I hope they keep reporting the tracking for ages like the first one.

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Isn't that what they do in the UK with the blockbusters, a week of previews rolled into the opening weekend? I remember that from following Harry Potter back in the day.

:lol: at The Nut Job 2 actually happening, I hope they keep reporting the tracking for ages like the first one.

A week of previews? 

I mean....I guess. Money is money but like what's the point of having a week of preview. :lol:

Every movie opens on Thursday here (unless there's a holiday on, ie Guardians 2). Some of the big ones have previews on Wednesday.

It's nice. I'm surprised they haven't started doing that in America yet.

Pulse

1. DT

2. Dunkirk

3. GT

4. AB

5. SMH

DT at #1 might look pretty good but it's selling about as many tickets as AB was this time last week (120 tickets every 10 minutes vs. 110). Looking around 20M still I think but I wouldn't be surprised by a little less.

• Like 2

BOM/Numbers release schedule notes:

BOM cleaned up August 25 quite a bit; they only list Leap, All Saints, and Birth of the Dragon as going wide. The Numbers doesn't list All Saints as wide, otherwise the other two are the same.

The Numbers says Stronger is going wide on September 22 while BOM has it as limited.

The Numbers is also listing some DTV-looking animated film called Gnome Alone as going wide on October 13.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

BOM/Numbers release schedule notes:

BOM cleaned up August 25 quite a bit; they only list Leap, All Saints, and Birth of the Dragon as going wide. The Numbers doesn't list All Saints as wide, otherwise the other two are the same.

The Numbers says Stronger is going wide on September 22 while BOM has it as limited.

The Numbers is also listing some DTV-looking animated film called Gnome Alone as going wide on October 13.

I guess Weinstein's just dumping Tulip Fever and running. Probably for the best, the movie's fate has been sealed for a while.

Stronger will likely be a 500-600 theater release. I'm not expecting it to do very well either way. Patriots Day flopped and that movie had a lot more going for it.

• Like 1

Can't see Girls Trip doing more than 14 million this weekend (a fantastic drop nonetheless), but the dailies realistically point closer to 13 million.

Guessing Dunkirk does around 16 million give or take half a million.

I think Dark Tower is just gonna barely take #1. Or I don't see less than #2 judging by pre-sales so far

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nova said:

A week of previews? 

I mean....I guess. Money is money but like what's the point of having a week of preview. :lol:

Sony claim Spectre had the biggest OW of all time, rolling all the money it made between Monday night and Sunday. It's real OW was only 4th

1 hour ago, Matrix4You said:

Dunkirk - 16.5%

Emoji - 13.9%

Atomic - 9.1%

Girls Trip - 8.2%

Spider-Man - 7.5%

Good sign for Dunkirk

Dunkirk - 17.9%

Emoji - 14.4%

Girls Trip - 7.5%

Dark Tower - 7.4%

Spider-Man - 6.9%

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Sony claim Spectre had the biggest OW of all time, rolling all the money it made between Monday night and Sunday. It's real OW was only 4th

Fox did this with Captain Underpants, its gross was £2.5m for seven days of previews for number 2 but it's actual weekend was only £1.2m, only enough for fifth.  I wish they'd change it as its gotten ridiculous where you can have a nine day opening and have it counted for the three day weekend 

I remember them doing it with Neighbors. Look at that second weekend drop!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=UK&id=townies.htm

Also Transformers Age Of Extinction

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=UK&id=transformers4.htm

Edited by Boxofficerules
Update post rather than reply.

I think the low low predicts for Dark Tower are getting a bit out of hand. Yesterday someone threw out 10M (10-13M but 10 was included). No way does it go that low IMO, even Eragon managed to open in the low 20's 10 years ago.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tonight at my theater:

7:00 Detroit: 4/78

7:00 Kidnap: 4/78

7:19 Dark Tower: 13/124

9:30 Detroit: 0/78

9:45 Dark Tower: 0/124

10:45 Kidnap: 0/78

:sparta: