grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I wonder if Don’t Breathe will get any sort of bump for Friday being Friday The 13th. Either way it looks like a high single digit debut. 

I hope that Respect doesn’t do too badly. 

Edited by Krissykins

Free Guy MTC2

Thursday:

Showtimes: 1533 (+138)

Seats Sold: 8540/214667 (+3894)

Adjusted JC comp: 1.59 million

Friday:

Showtimes: 3343 (+178)

Seats Sold: 13169/507237 (+5577)

Adjusted JC comp: 4.88 million

Data as of this morning. Getting a bit better. Hopefully it's stronger outside of MTC2 and walkups are strong. I think 20+ OW is still possible. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If it can get 3x these number, that will do the job. But I guess ain't gonna happen as it's already 12 noon in East Coast, that would have added a lot to these numbers already.

? Free guy ?

Respect has had AWFUL pre-sales here, which sort of confuses me. It’s the type of movie that would do very well in my market. 

Stillwater had pretty bad pre-sales but went on to have very strong walk-up business. Old people just don’t buy tickets ahead of time, so maybe Respect is in the same boat? But even Stillwater had sold better than this at this point.

• Like 1

Exhibition Buzzing That ‘Venom: Let There Be Carnage’ & ‘Hotel Transylvania: Transformania’ Are On The Move – Box Office

In the case of Venom 2, it’s to another destination on the release calendar. First we heard January, then Oct. 15; Sony hasn’t decided I hear what the new date is or whether they’ll continue to stay put on Sept. 24.  Hotel Transylvania 4 may be going to a streaming. Again, Sony is figuring out what to do.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/venom-let-there-be-carnage-hotel-transylvania-transformania-release-date-changes-1234813578/amp/

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

If Venom goes to October we could get NTTD, Venom and Dune back to back, which seems too much.

Don't know if January is a good date tho.

Morbius is already in January so that would have to move too. 

• Like 1

Just now, Madhuvan said:

Said in the Venom thread also , Shang-Chi definetly not tracking well at all. I think all Marvel movies are moving after this. :raining: I may come as pessimistic but this is how moving started earlier also.

Doubt it, we are now reaching the Delta peak in US, but now that we also know how the virus works and that the waves come and go there's no sense in long delays anymore.

Venom just moved from September 24 to October 15. I expect things to stay as it is for now, if by end of september cases are still growing then i think it's reasonable to expect more delays.

5 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Said in the Venom thread also , Shang-Chi definetly not tracking well at all. I think all Marvel movies are moving after this. :raining: I may come as pessimistic but this is how moving started earlier also.

Shang Chi will never track well if it isn't tracking well now.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Exhibition Buzzing That ‘Venom: Let There Be Carnage’ & ‘Hotel Transylvania: Transformania’ Are On The Move – Box Office

In the case of Venom 2, it’s to another destination on the release calendar. First we heard January, then Oct. 15; Sony hasn’t decided I hear what the new date is or whether they’ll continue to stay put on Sept. 24.  Hotel Transylvania 4 may be going to a streaming. Again, Sony is figuring out what to do.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/venom-let-there-be-carnage-hotel-transylvania-transformania-release-date-changes-1234813578/amp/

Addams Family 2 looks horrid...and Hotel Transylvania actually looks okay...so of course, Addams Family 2 would have all the promos and would be the chosen release.  I mean, from the trailers of all the kid movies this summer, I think I'd watch Clifford and Paw Patrol even before I got to Addams Family 2.  If anything should go right to streaming, it's that one...but of course, that's not the way this is gonna play out...

PS - Vaccine passports in the big cities (NY/LA) is gonna kill family-appealing movies...no way I'd bother getting my under 12 tested to go to a movie when the other 5 of us are vaxxed - I'd just skip the movies til he could get vaxxed...which I'm not doing now...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

Respect counted today at 11am EST for Friday, August 13:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 95 (4 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 1
2 (5 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 24 (6 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 2 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
7 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 45 (6 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal):
62 (6 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 247.
Good 92% up since yesterday.
Spiral (8.8M OW) had in 4 theaters 419 sold tickets on Thursday for Friday (so vs 209 sold tickets here; yesterday Respect had ca 1/3 of the sold tickets of Spiral so it improved in comparison).
Blinded by the Light (4.3M OW) had on
Thursday for Friday 102 sold tickets in 6 theaters (vs 152 for Respect).
It had a nice jump and gained ground compared to the other movies. I would also say high single digits should be doable.

Free Guy counted today at 11am EST for Friday, August 13:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 115 (9 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
68 (11 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 34 (10 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 2
5 (4 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
16 (7 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 160 (9 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal):
206 (9 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 624.

Up quite good 38% since yesterday.
Comps (all counted on Thursday for Friday, always the same 7 theaters): JC (35.0M OW) had 817 sold tickets. Would mean 76%/26.6M OW with similar walk-ups but somehow I doubt it. Partly because it's in my theaters weaker between the coasts than JC and also because of the last week which again proved that some genres, people and brand names just generate more walk-ups than others,
THWB (11.4M OW) had only 203 sold tickets (but good walk-ups),
Snake Eyes (13.4M OW) had
787 sold tickets
and Zombieland 2 (26.8M OW) had

My vague guess would also be ca. 20M OW.

Don't Breathe 2 counted today at 11am EST for Friday, August 13:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 101 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 14
 (6 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 8 (6 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 0
(2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 16
 (9 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 35 (7 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 119
 (8 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 293.

Up 49% since yesterday. Not bad but worse than the jumps of many other horror films.
Comps (all counted on Thursday for Friday, always the same 7 theaters): Old (16.9M OW) had 500 sold tickets,
The Conjuring 3 (24.1M OW) had 1.435 sold tickets,
Crawl (12.0M OW) had 269 sold tickets,
Scary Stories (20.9M OW) had 578 sold tickets,

The Invisible Man (28.2M OW) 894

and The Forever Purge (12.6M OW) had on Thursday for Thursday 241 sold tickets.
Most of the comps point rather to 10M today.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5