grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

25 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Hopefully at least one theater is smart/dumb enough to do themed snacks like pumpkin spice poutine. 

Poutine melange! How could this miss?

Get on this now, @DAJK

As a Canadian... no

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, famicommander said:

Go Blue Bombers, eh!

(I live in Denver and love all Denver teams more than life itself but i started following the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the 90s and they're finally good!)

Given the current state of Denver teams, I’m so sorry (minus the Nuggets I guess). 

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Given the current state of Denver teams, I’m so sorry (minus the Nuggets I guess). 

Broncos - need to fire their entire coaching staff yesterday

Rockies - will never be a serious contender until the pigfarming Monforts sell the team

Nuggets - legitimate title contender, provided they get a healthy Jamal Murray back

Avalanche - current betting favorites to win the Stanley Cup

Mammoth (NLL) - figure to be a playoff team again

Rapids - Apparently really good, but I don't care since I hate soccer

Unsurprisingly, all four playoff caliber teams in town are owned by the Kroenkes (who also own the LA Rams, Arsenal, and formerly the AFL's Colorado Crush). Kroenke was a billionaire on his own and then he married a Walmart heiress, so he has unlimited funds and it helps.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

There's barely been much in the way of advertising for Ron's Gone Wrong. Can't say I'm surprised it's looking to be another made-before-the-Disney-sale 20th Century nonstarter.

It took me until about halfway through the TV commercial they played for it to figure out whether or not it was related to Big Hero 6. Seems like the most blatant ripoff possible.

24 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Dune is going to do our equivalent of 70-80M opening weekend here, if not higher. It’s a freaking monster in my region.

Hopefully that bodes well for the UK, Ireland, South Africa, NZ, and Australia (though the latter two have to wait so long it's hard to imagine them doing big numbers).

• Like 1

Because I probably have no time to count tomorrow - but I promise to count both days (Thursday and Friday) again for Dune on Thursday - I thought it would be good to report at least a late Tuesday update from „my“ theaters.

Dune counted today at 2pm EST for Friday, October 22:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7):
246 (9 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
324 (10 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18):
84 (12 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 30 (4 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 53 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16):
1.261 (7 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 921 (8 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 2.919 (+298 seats since yesterday).

Up 11.5% since yesterday. That doesn't seem to be much but for a Tuesday and on such a level that's not bad.
Comps: I counted only one theater for NTTD on Tuesday of its release week, that in NY, and there it had 245 tickets, so Dune is one tickets ahead at the moment ;). Overall Dune is ahead of NTTD's final presales number by ca. 200 tickets now.
TSS (8.0M true Friday) had 1.089 sold tickets for Friday (so TSS had a jump of 16% from Monday to Tuesday = 149 tickets which is the half of what Dune has = 298 from Monday to Tuesday) = x2.68 = 21.45M true Friday for Dune.
And SC (20.7M true Friday) had on Tuesday of its release week 2.672 sold tickets for Friday = x1.09 = 22.55M for Dune.
I'm glad that
in several member reports the numbers for Dune look better today (or pretty stable if they were already good). And judging from my theaters, I don't expect great jumps till Thursday but its presale numbers are already good.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

There's barely been much in the way of advertising for Ron's Gone Wrong. Can't say I'm surprised it's looking to be another made-before-the-Disney-sale 20th Century nonstarter.

That’s interesting, they pushed it very heavily here in the UK with even a premiere and tie-ins, but it still opened way under Addams Family’s second weekend anyway. 

Come for the ticket sales numbers, stay for the Canada talk. 

Anyway, I've just now learned that Ron's Gone Wrong is even a thing that exists. And I work in the industry lmao.

Also, we officially have an IMAX and Dolby sellout each for Dune opening night here in town. The IMAX one in particular is impressive because it's a huge auditorium. However, still only like 3 or 4 tickets sold for each standard screening.

Edited by Starphanluke
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, famicommander said:

Broncos - need to fire their entire coaching staff yesterday

Rockies - will never be a serious contender until the pigfarming Monforts sell the team

Nuggets - legitimate title contender, provided they get a healthy Jamal Murray back

Avalanche - current betting favorites to win the Stanley Cup

Mammoth (NLL) - figure to be a playoff team again

Rapids - Apparently really good, but I don't care since I hate soccer

Unsurprisingly, all four playoff caliber teams in town are owned by the Kroenkes (who also own the LA Rams, Arsenal, and formerly the AFL's Colorado Crush). Kroenke was a billionaire on his own and then he married a Walmart heiress, so he has unlimited funds and it helps.

OT, but the Avalanche are a hockey fan's dream team. What a great, fun team!

Just now, Val357 said:

OT, but the Avalanche are a hockey fan's dream team. What a great, fun team!

This is good people right here.

To make this slightly more on-topic, my IMAX screening of Dune in Denver:

54 seats remaining, 14 of which are wheelchair accessible seats

307 total sold

Thursday night 7:00 PM IMAX screening in southern Denver. The 6:00 PM standard screening in the same theater has sold... 6.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Dune Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 338 606 55.78%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 367 1319 27.82%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
1765 176 10391 16.99% 15 55

AMCs sold 1118
Cinemarks sold 183
Regals sold 418
Harkins sold 46

Shang-Chi comp: 8.68M

Black Widow comp: 7.47M

Dune Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 376 882 42.63%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 417 1521 27.42%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
2045 280 11737 17.42% 15 68

Showings added: 13

Seats added: 1346

AMCs sold 1296
Cinemarks sold 212
Regals sold 477
Harkins sold 60

NTTD comp: 7.26M

Shang-Chi comp: 8.72M

Black Widow comp: 7.71M

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Dune Megaplex

T-3 days Thursday(58 showings): 2664(+340)/15734(+767) in 15 theaters

Shang-Chi comp: 13.00M

Black Widow comp: 9.31M

T-4 days Friday(120 showings): 3245(+431)/36053(+6123) in 15 theaters

Shang-Chi comp: 46.39M

Black Widow comp: 25.95M

T-5 days Saturday(119 showings): 1913(+265)/36480(+7536) in 15 theaters

T-6 days Sunday(105 showings): 582(+82)/32155(+7703) in 14 theaters

Dune Megaplex

T-2 days Thursday(58 showings): 3034(+370)/15734 in 15 theaters

NTTD comp: 8.39M

Shang-Chi comp: 12.59M

Black Widow comp: 9.13M

T-3 days Friday(164 showings): 3790(+545)/44575(+8522) in 15 theaters

NTTD comp: 20.50M

Shang-Chi comp: 43.59M

Black Widow comp: 25.43M

T-4 days Saturday(162 showings): 2284(+371)/44200(+7720) in 15 theaters

T-5 days Sunday(147 showings): 661(+79)/40664(+8509) in 15 theaters

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Key thing for Dune is how walkups are on thursday. SS did fairly well on thursday. MTC1 went up from 41,300 wednesday afternoon(2PM PST) to 78737 by thursday evening. So one has to see if Dune can do anywhere close. That should take it above 5m previews. Plus its friday sales are stronger(in absolute and run rate) and so its previews to OW multiplier should be ok barring disastrous walkups(worse than SS or NTTD). Thursday will confirm the trend. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Key thing for Dune is how walkups are on thursday. SS did fairly well on thursday. MTC1 went up from 41,300 wednesday afternoon(2PM PST) to 78737 by thursday evening. So one has to see if Dune can do anywhere close. That should take it above 5m previews. Plus its friday sales are stronger(in absolute and run rate) and so its previews to OW multiplier should be ok barring disastrous walkups(worse than SS or NTTD). Thursday will confirm the trend. 

I could be wrong but I don't think it will do nearly as poorly with walk ups as TSS. As mentioned before, HBO Max was already full of exclusive DC content including an ongoing adult animated series starring Harley Quinn, the main character of the film. Pretty much the entire target audience for the film was already subscribed to the service for Wonder Woman 1984, Snyder's Justice League, Doom Patrol, Titans, Harley Quinn, Young Justice, and the constant stream of animated DTV DC films. WB folded an entire DC-exclusive streaming service (DC Universe) into HBO Max. DC movies above any other were set up to be cannibalized by the service.

For DC fans the value proposition was to watch the movie on the service they were already subscribed to or pay money to see it in a theater. But Dune is a more general audience movie, and there's no reason to expect a comparatively huge cross section of its potential audience is already actively subscribed. So for people who want to see Dune but don't have HBO Max, the value proposition might be the difference between a movie ticket and buying a month of HBO, which is pretty close to the same price. 

And it's not rated R which means it's at least got a chance to draw a bunch of teenagers who just want to see Zendaya and Chalamet.

Edited by famicommander

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Wouldn't surprised if Dune has worse walk-ups than those, though, considering they were pre-established franchises widely known to GA. Sure, Dune is a pre-existing property, but one with not much familiarity. 

Dune may have some help from the teen and young adult market thanks to Timmy and Zendaya (who have very purposefully done LOTS of marketing towards the demo in recent days), though. So I could be way wrong.