grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, Sydney Bristow said:

Weird that with a #5 only selling 5.2 tickets per minute, no other format of JL (like imax or 3d) managed to sneak into the Pulse top 5 yet. 

This brings up another thing I noticed, that imax for JL is 2d, so cheaper than the usual imax 3d for superhero movies.

Going to be to its advantage.  Even at the same price point I think people prefer 2D.  RealD weakest by far for every movie

• Like 1

Theater Update:

Justice League 823 3713 22.17%
Wonder 305 1507 20.24%
Coco 95 2327 4.08%

Justice League doubled its showtimes just this evening, while Wonder also added one to each day. Both are still doing well, and I'm sure Justice League will surge thanks to the added showtimes and it being release week.

And for those wondering, no, my theater isn't getting The Star. :rofl: Even more hilarious is that my theater has kept Ninjago since its September release, and will continue to do so, even with the inclusion of Wonder. Basically, my theater would rather keep a movie that I assume only gets two or three tickets a week over a new animated release. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Coco also saw a decent amount added to it, but I don't expect it to grow significantly until release week. Star Wars and Fifty Shades also have showtimes up, but I'm really tired, so I'll probably look at them tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Theater Update:

Justice League 823 3713 22.17%
Wonder 305 1507 20.24%
Coco 95 2327 4.08%

Justice League doubled its showtimes just this evening, while Wonder also added one to each day. Both are still doing well, and I'm sure Justice League will surge thanks to the added showtimes and it being release week.

And for those wondering, no, my theater isn't getting The Star. :rofl: Even more hilarious is that my theater has kept Ninjago since its September release, and will continue to do so, even with the inclusion of Wonder. Basically, my theater would rather keep a movie that I assume only gets two or three tickets a week over a new animated release. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Coco also saw a decent amount added to it, but I don't expect it to grow significantly until release week. Star Wars and Fifty Shades also have showtimes up, but I'm really tired, so I'll probably look at them tomorrow.

What are good comparisons to Wonder and any predictions based on these presales?

1 minute ago, BenedictL11 said:

What are good comparisons to Wonder and any predictions based on these presales?

Well, the only other film within my data I can maybe compare it to is My Little Pony, which ended Thursday with only 73 tickets sold. Obviously, that's a big improvement, but I don't think it's fair to compare the two movies. Thor ended with 913 tickets sold, so Justice League is in good shape (but I think I stopped looking at Thor on the Tuesday before release)

I guess if we're going by predictions, Wonder definitely seems like it'll hit the high teens at least, and Justice League will probably do around $135M or so. Won't really do Coco until a couple days from now.

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

I just saw an ad on TV for Darkest Hour that said "NY/LA November 22, Everywhere December 22." Christmas gonna be another clusterfuck.

The local chain moved their date to the 22nd, and I thought it was a fluke. Why are studios letting the first half of December be so empty?

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The local chain moved their date to the 22nd, and I thought it was a fluke. Why are studios letting the first half of December be so empty?

They don't want to be pushed out of theaters by Star Wars.

Meanwhile, Star Wars is gonna get hit hard by so many movies the following week leading to a big screen loss.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Meanwhile, Star Wars is gonna get hit hard by so many movies the following week leading to a big screen loss.

Maybe not; Disney required theaters to keep all of their screens for two weeks when TFA come out. I also don't think Darkest Hour will be going that wide compared to the other Christmas releases (1-1.2k theaters sounds right).

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Maybe not; Disney required theaters to keep all of their screens for two weeks when TFA come out. I also don't think Darkest Hour will be going that wide compared to the other Christmas releases (1-1.2k theaters sounds right).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Disney's only terms for this one are that it needs to keep the biggest auditoriums or else they will take a higher percentage of the gross from said theaters that don't comply.

Edited by filmlover

41 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think the Premium, AVX and IMAX screens will remain for Star Wars for the entire Holidays. 

Also, that makes no sense from a business point of view. 

Roughly more then half of the people likely going to watch a movie during the Holidays will be watching TLJ.

Most likely, older films will be pushed out of theatres first. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think the Premium, AVX and IMAX screens will remain for Star Wars for the entire Holidays. 

Also, that makes no sense from a business point of view. 

Roughly more then half of the people likely going to watch a movie during the Holidays will be watching TLJ.

Most likely, older films will be pushed out of theatres first. 

What a meant was that smaller theaters (like 10 screen theaters) are likely gonna take a screen reduction for it the following week. Say, a 10 screen theater could show Star Wars on 5 screens the first weekend and show it on 2 the following due to the new releases coming in. Doesn't matter as long as it keeps that biggest auditorium for at least 4 weeks (a lot of smaller theaters aren't booking the film due to these terms, though).