grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

A 14 screen multiplex is already setting up their schedule for Christmas and already has Jumanji, The Greatest Showman, Pitch Perfect 3, and Downsizing showtimes set up (and is also one of the locations getting Call Me by Your Name that weekend) and is gonna have 3 screens of Star Wars and 1 screen for Ferdinand that weekend, so that's 9/14 screens taken. Man, space is gonna be super tight. There's no way Jumanji will reach that $60M tracking number for its opening when it's just not gonna have the space necessary to do so for the most part (theaters being obligated to keep Star Wars in the biggest auditorium and all).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

A 14 screen multiplex is already setting up their schedule for Christmas and already has Jumanji, The Greatest Showman, Pitch Perfect 3, and Downsizing showtimes set up (and is also one of the locations getting Call Me by Your Name that weekend) and is gonna have 3 screens of Star Wars and 1 screen for Ferdinand that weekend, so that's 9/14 screens taken. Man, space is gonna be super tight. There's no way Jumanji will reach that $60M tracking number for its opening when it's just not gonna have the space necessary to do so for the most part (theaters being obligated to keep Star Wars in the biggest auditorium and all).

Only 3 screens for Star Wars is interesting...that will leave a bunch open for older movies...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Only 3 screens for Star Wars is interesting...that will leave a bunch open for older movies...

It's a 14 screen theater. 3 screens for Christmas weekend sounds about right, especially when at least a half dozen films will be opening (Coco will likely be the only pre-The Last Jedi release still playing there by then).

Just now, filmlover said:

It's a 14 screen theater. 3 screens for Christmas weekend sounds about right, especially when at least a half dozen films will be opening (Coco will likely be the only pre-The Last Jedi release still playing there by then).

See, I doubt that...I'm betting Wonder makes it through the gauntlet, even if just for morning showings it gives away to some other holdover in the evening...

Star Wars 8 tight terms may have bought some holdovers and new releases some extra space, when normally they'd never get them...

I think a lot of theaters with those 4 week, biggest screens terms are gonna slightly underbook for the long haul vs the overbook and drop fast which is so customary...

I mean my 12s give 5 screens to the biggest films...and yours is a 14...I'm amazed they would be less...

(And right now, my 12s have not yet given more than 2 and 3 screens to Star Wars 8 (although they have cleared Thursday preview night for it) - so glad I already have tickets b/c this movie might not be Moviepass watchable til mid Jan if they have really held firm on screens towards it...) 

• Like 1

Speaking of theaters, 1st local (Cinemark) is up...here's the set...

NEW

Just Getting Started (1) (I see a 2 week run for this:)

Returning

Coco (2 - no 3d anymore - 9 showings)

JL (1 - lost a screen and no 3d anymore)

Wonder (1)

DH2 (1)

MOE (1)

3 Billboards (1)

Thor (1)

The Star (1/2 - it takes the morning and early afternoon for 3 showings and gives way to the next 2 movies)

Bad Moms (still 1 showing - must really sell that one:)

Jawaan (2 showings - held over foreign movie from last week)

2 screens not yet booked, so I expect 2+ foreign films to get 1 week runs that end for Star Wars 8...

Edited by TwoMisfits

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

See, I doubt that...I'm betting Wonder makes it through the gauntlet, even if just for morning showings it gives away to some other holdover in the evening...

Star Wars 8 tight terms may have bought some holdovers and new releases some extra space, when normally they'd never get them...

I think a lot of theaters with those 4 week, biggest screens terms are gonna slightly underbook for the long haul vs the overbook and drop fast which is so customary...

I mean my 12s give 5 screens to the biggest films...and yours is a 14...I'm amazed they would be less...

(And right now, my 12s have not yet given more than 2 and 3 screens to Star Wars 8 (although they have cleared Thursday preview night for it) - so glad I already have tickets b/c this movie might not be Moviepass watchable til mid Jan if they have really held firm on screens towards it...) 

This actually isn't the theater I frequent lol, it's just a similar one (both are Cinemarks) that books a lot of the same movies (they both get limited releases, at least the big ones, first even if it means underbooking or passing on wider fare).

• Like 1

On 11/28/2017 at 5:41 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Nothing is gone.

Lady Bird: 4 (Average)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: 4 (2nd Biggest)

Coco: 7 (Down 2; 4 2D/3 3D; Average)

Justice League: 7 (Down 6; 4 2D/3 3D; Average and 4th Smallest)

The Star: 5 (Down 1; Smallest)

A Bad Moms Christmas: 4 (Down 2; 2nd Smallest)

Daddy's Home 2: 4 (Down 6; 3rd Smallest)

Murder on the Orient Express: 4 (Down 1; Average)

Thor: Ragnarok: 4 (Down 1; 3 2D/1 3D; Average)

Wonder: 4 (Down 1; Biggest)

During the weekend, Coco has the biggest while Wonder gets downgraded to the 2nd biggest and 3B is in an average auditorium

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Nothing is gone.

Just Getting Started: 4 (2nd Biggest)

The Mountain Between Us: 2 (Return; 3rd Smallest)

Coco: 6 (Down 1; 4 2D/2 3D; Average)

Justice League: 5 (Down 2; 4 2D/1 3D; Average)

A Bad Moms Christmas: 4 (Flat; Average)

Daddy's Home 2: 4 (Flat; Average)

Lady Bird: 4 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Murder on the Orient Express: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

Thor: Ragnarok: 4 (Flat; 3 2D/1 3D; Average)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: 4 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

Wonder: 4 (Flat; Biggest)

The Star: 2 (Down 3; 3rd Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

• Like 1

Both Coco and JL should be gone next week or the week after here at North Shore. The 2 share their screens, have 5 showings and with Ultrascreen gone to Jedi, they’re pretty much done. Small chance Coco stays due to Disney’s grip but JL has received the kiss of death.

Edited by YourMother

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Nothing is gone.

Just Getting Started: 4 (2nd Biggest)

The Mountain Between Us: 2 (Return; 3rd Smallest)

Coco: 6 (Down 1; 4 2D/2 3D; Average)

Justice League: 5 (Down 2; 4 2D/1 3D; Average)

A Bad Moms Christmas: 4 (Flat; Average)

Daddy's Home 2: 4 (Flat; Average)

Lady Bird: 4 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Murder on the Orient Express: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

Thor: Ragnarok: 4 (Flat; 3 2D/1 3D; Average)

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: 4 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

Wonder: 4 (Flat; Biggest)

The Star: 2 (Down 3; 3rd Smallest)

Reveal hidden contents

...why The Mountain Between Us? It isn't even an Oscar contender.

• Sad 1