grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2nd local (Regal) is up...

Returning

Coco (2 - all 2d, down to 8 showings from prescheduled 9 before)

Lady Bird (1)

JL (2 - 3 3d showings, 8 2d showings - it does not start before 11:30am and has only 1 show in that early slot, but gets an extra two later from The Star)

The Star (1 - but it gets 3 screens in 90 minutes early, one from JL and one from 3 Billboards, and then has its last showing at 6pm)

Wonder (1)

DH2 (1)

MOE (1)

3 Billboards (almost 1 - it loses its 1st show to Star, not starting til 1pm)

Thor (1)

Bad Moms (1 showing)

Weirdly, they have also saved a screen, probably to do what it did last week and parcel out shows to any movie who needs them at that time...since they don't tend to book the foreign films...

Edited by TwoMisfits

8 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

TLJ is now ahead of Rogue One's entire presale total at Deep Wang's chain that he tracks. By how much is unknown.

I figure that's a gimme...I'd much prefer knowing where it is to TFA...b/c this should beat Rogue One handily...if it doesn't, that would disappoint me...

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I figure that's a gimme...I'd much prefer knowing where it is to TFA...b/c this should beat Rogue One handily...if it doesn't, that would disappoint me...

Never seen pre-sales numbers, and maybe not for star wars but I would imagine the 2 days before release and Thursday are probably a big proportions of the total sales.

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Surpassing it was a gimme. Doing so 2+ weeks before release shows it’ll be close to TFA than R1 when all’s said and done, I think. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Shape of Water only in 2 houses this weekend? If disaster Artist ruined its chances at 2017's PTA record by playing in almost 20, this has certainly got to take it right?

I don't see it topping CMBYN though. The NYC/LA crowd went crazy for that film. The Shape of Water just doesn't seem as buzzy and the trailer has always gotten very "WTF" responses whenever it played in front of other arthouse movies.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Shape of Water is opening in only two theaters in New York this weekend and appears to be expanding to LA, Colorado, Maryland, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Texas (at least so far) next week. Looks like they're going with a relatively quick rollout.

http://tickets.theshapeofwaterthemovie.com/

Eh, it looks pretty similar to Three Billboards' second weekend (53 theaters) from what I can tell. It definitely won't be following 3B's trajectory because that will be pushing 2k theaters this weekend; SOW will be lucky to get 1k over Christmas with the amount of wide releases taking up screens. I think Lady Bird's release pattern might be a better comparison for the second half of December:

Then it'll hit 1,500-2,000 after the holidays are over like Lady Bird and Three Billboards are this weekend.

Edited by WrathOfHan

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, it looks pretty similar to Three Billboards' second weekend (53 theaters) from what I can tell. It definitely won't be following 3B's trajectory because that will be pushing 2k theaters this weekend; SOW will be lucky to get 1k over Christmas with the amount of wide releases taking up screens. I think Lady Bird's release pattern might be a better comparison for the second half of December:

Then it'll hit 1,500-2,000 after the holidays are over like Lady Bird and Three Billboards are this weekend.

Probably. All depends on how much the film turns out to be a contender (those prospects, unfortunately, appear to be dimming).

I am going to try to show a sample of total showtimes playing Thursday and then how it changes to Friday.  Fandango will help me when I put in a zip code and get 4-5 pages of theaters.  I can pick 20 theaters that have 4 or more screens.  I would choose 5 or more screens only, but for some reason the Starlight theaters in Southern California are not showing movies by distributor FOX.  4 screen theaters balance this out by making it hard for more than 3 films to make 20 out of 20 theaters.  Ok, i will get back to this later.

Again, nothing big is coming this weekend.  Who is going to get the most of the market?  Thursday will have a cumulative total of showtimes that reflect on each individual day from almost this past week or so.  Friday, things can change.  If you are playing a game or a tournament, this can be useful to lower ranking films at the box office.  If you are betting real money, then you probably know this stuff better than me.