grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

I have never met a person in real life that did not dislike Jurassic World.

And i have met only 2 people (of 40+), that did not like it. Anecdotical evidence is useless :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Theater Update:

Action Point 2 852 0.23%
Adrift 31 1837 1.69%

Action Point Comps:

29% of Downsizing ($1.4M)

50% of Father Figures ($1.6M)

:hahaha:

Adrift Comps:

124% of Mountain Between Us ($13.1M)

52% of Happy Death Day ($13.7M)

40% of Insidious 4 ($11.7M)

48% of Strangers 2 ($5M)

Mountain is probably the best comp, since the other ones I really only threw in because "hey, these targeted teens, and Shailene Woodley also targets teens."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

And i have met only 2 people (of 40+), that did not like it. Anecdotical evidence is useless :lol:

Yeah sure, I am not arguing that the first one was disliked but I really got a lot of negative reactions from people.

I guess the way to call JW's word-of-mouth is okay/borderline good.

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

Yeah sure, I am not arguing that the first one was disliked but I really got a lot of negative reactions from people.

It was so disliked it got a three multiplier from a 208m opening 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Im sorry, but no. JW had a better multiplier than The Avengers - and that movie had absolutely amazing WOM. Hype/Marketing/Trailers can give you a massive OW. It cant get you these sorts of legs after a 200M+ OW. If The Avengers had amazing WOM, so did Jurassic World.

• Like 2

movietickets.com

1 - Solo - 32.8%

2 - Deadpool - 17.7%

3 - Book Club - 7.9%

4 - Jurassic - 7.3%

5 - Infinity War - 6.8%

With Jurassic World appearing in the top 5 and the staying power of The Book Club, I do not see Adrift, Action Point, or Upgrade standing a chance at breaking this top 5.  

TA 3.05x

JW 3.12x

TA had bigger previews and if you look at OW-Previews then TA wins 3.45 vs 3.42 or so. But irrespective of that, the legs and ow for both the films mirrored each other and to question JW's reception doesn't take you far.

Edited by A2k Raptor
  • Like 1

Jurassic World was fucking awesome. I hadn't teared up during a film in years, but when the kid opens the curtains to reveal the park in all its glory...

:D:D:D

The average opening weekend predict for that was like half of what it did. That weekend marked my brief return glory. No doubt this is under predicted too

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Im sorry, but no. JW had a better multiplier than The Avengers - and that movie had absolutely amazing WOM. Hype/Marketing/Trailers can give you a massive OW. It cant get you these sorts of legs after a 200M+ OW. If The Avengers had amazing WOM, so did Jurassic World.

Legs don't always tell the story about the word of mouth. There are a lot of other factors to count such as competition and how much towards families the film is skewing.

Family films (ex.animation films) can get huge multipliers even with lackluster WoM.

Of cource the movie didn't have negative buzz but the response online, including online voting sites like imdb, shows that the movie definetely had it's haters too and all in all was not universally beloved.

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Legs don't always tell the story about the word of mouth. There are a lot of other factors to count such as competition and how much towards families the film is skewing.

Family films (ex.animation films) can get huge multipliers even with lackluster WoM.

Of cource the movie didn't have negative buzz but the response online, including online voting sites like imdb, shows that the movie definetely had it's haters too and all in all was not universally beloved.

Lol

5 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

and Hotel Artemis is estimated to be in 2,000 theaters next week.  This is the third film this year from apparent new distributor Global Road.  Hope they do not sink in their debut year.  

1 Show Dogs Global Road $12,733,417 3,212 $6,023,972 3,212 5/18/18
2 Midnight Sun Global Road $9,561,064 2,173 $4,003,993 2,173 3/23/18

It’s just Open Road, so theyll be fine

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Who said it was universally beloved? No one. You're the one who said that you didn't meet anyone who did not dislike the film which may very well be true. 

But considering its legs, its OW (I mean what kind of movie opens north of $200M if people don't like it?), it's ratings on online sites the general consensus is that most folks actually enjoyed the film. Enjoying/liking a movie doesn't mean that people love the movie. But I don't know how someone can say that Jurassic World was disliked by the masses given the info we have about the movie 

Maybe it’s simply JW hit the upper limit of its cap and FK is doing what JW was originally tracking to do in the first place before the huge walk up business?

• Like 1

Idk I always thought Jurassic World was pretty fun. Can totally understand why some people don’t like it but I always enjoyed it. Reception in my experience was always more positive irl than online.