grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It's weird that in US, female lead films are pre-sales heavy. In India its complete opposite but I don't have data to support it.

But, China, 59.6% of tickets of Captain Marvel are booked by Males, however the ratio during the final numbers post release will be 50-50.

I mean, there's a huge population of single professional women in the US with a lot of disposable income and those women tend to plan ahead more.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

@Porthos Apparently Brie doesn’t really remember Sacramento, doesn’t like talking about Sacramento and doesn’t like other people asking about Sacramento.  Other then that I haven’t heard her say a bad word about the place. 

:P

At least she didn't direct a movie about how Sacramento sucks and how much she wanted to get the fuck away from there like Greta.

7 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

@CoolEric258 Do you have Ant-Man & The Wasp Comps?  The ASIB 97M has me going, "Is this gonna be AMATW all over again?"

I do. Using its Wednesday, that leads to a CM comp of...339.5M. Yeah, I don't think that one's happening. :lol: 

I also need to mention that, as Thanos Legion said earlier, ASIB was inflated by early showings on Tuesday and Wednesday. I put the movie in there, being a female-driven movie with a large fanbase attached to it (Ocean's 8 and Mamma Mia comps resulted in Ant-Man style openings).

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Nova said:

Ocean’s 8. A Star Is Born. Mamma Mia. There are others too from last year. If you look at the Fandango numbers posted on here, the female led films tend to have way more presales than other films when you compare. 

Wonder Woman wasn’t necessarily walk up heavy from what I remember. Just that it had great WOM which allowed it to have an unusual IM for a CBM throughout the weekend and obviously it’s legs were fantastic. 

I feel like O8, ASIB and Mammia Mia are films that women go see with a lot of friends. I wonder about Captain Marvel since the genre is so typically skewed toward males, if we see the same effect or not.

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I feel like O8, ASIB and Mammia Mia are films that women go see with a lot of friends. I wonder about Captain Marvel since the genre is so typically skewed toward males, if we see the same effect or not.

I did mention that a couple of weeks ago when Deep Wang gave us an update. Female movies tend to be more presales heavy simply because women like to plan ahead and stuff. I'm not sure if Captain Marvel will fall into the same category because as you said it's more likely to have a bigger male audience than your typical female led film. But I do think its important to remember that Captain Marvel will most likely skew more female than your typical CBM so that needs to be taken into account. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Horner said:

The ending generated so much buzz for that movie it helped drive people out to see what all of the fuss was about.  There were references to "The Snap" flying all over social media and getting mentioned in circles that don't normally talk all that much about CB movies.  Even the Russos said they didn't expect it to get the reaction it did.  In retrospect you almost wonder how could they not have.

But the point is that through-the-roof wom and buzz prevented fan rush from killing its legs against all odds. Whether something similar happens to Captain Marvel or not remains to be seen. That's what I was implying.

• Like 1

Boxofficepro website seems to have changed. Can't see the twitter numbers anymore. But they never seemed very accurate compared to what I was seeing on twitter. And some movies twitter numbers never even got tracked like Spiderman: FFH. 

Suppose wasn't that useful in general but still was interesting to see the top 10 movies. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

But the point is that through-the-roof wom and buzz prevented fan rush from killing its legs against all odds. Whether something similar happens to Captain Marvel or not remains to be seen. That's what I was implying.

Yeah I think the buzz definitely helped it's legs.  We're on the same page for sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dumbo-tracking-50m-60m-us-opening-1193003?utm_source=twitter

Tim Burton's family pic Dumbo is tracking to lift off with $50 million-$60 million in its domestic box office launch, according to the major services.

That's not bad I guess. I have to say the trailers have been really cute even though my Burton fatigue is at an all time high.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dumbo-tracking-50m-60m-us-opening-1193003?utm_source=twitter

Tim Burton's family pic Dumbo is tracking to lift off with $50 million-$60 million in its domestic box office launch, according to the major services.

I want this movie to do $ 200M DOM / $ 500M WW so bad

This tracking pleases me, I hope it grows a little bit in the next week

• Like 1

Just for the hell of it, here is CM with an IW comp on MT

2019-03-07 17:00:35.186483 UTC
1	78.4%	Captain Marvel
2	5.2%	How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
3	3.1%	Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral
4	1.3%	Alita: Battle Angel
5	1.2%	Green Book
2018-04-26 17:01:14.974546 UTC
1	85.7%	Avengers: Infinity War
2	2.6%	I Feel Pretty
3	1.9%	Quiet Place, A
4	1.4%	Rampage
5	1.1%	Super Troopers 2
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 2

7 hours ago, DeeCee said:

@Porthos Apparently Brie doesn’t really remember Sacramento, doesn’t like talking about Sacramento and doesn’t like other people asking about Sacramento.  Other then that I haven’t heard her say a bad word about the place. 

:P

Poor DeeCee. :(   The stress of moderating the CM thread has finally proved to be too much to bear, and snapped as a result.

Sad, really. :sadno:

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1