kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Heavy nostalgia is their thing - Dory and Beauty (and Star Wars) hit so hard on that and it worked...

This is why Incredibles 2 will do $400M-$500M domestic.

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

Disney, WB, Universal's old pg-13 IPs are not apt comparison for aliens. Aliens have niether their nostalgia, and neither has a fandom as massive as them.

PROMETHEUS's 50+ ow showed the potential of the franchise. It wasn't even that strongly connected to the loved Alien movies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So what you are saying is put The Rock in Alien franchise and see it soar. :D

I find it funny that Alien Covenant has the came AC initials like Assassin's Creed. :rofl:

Actually make a cinematic universe with Alien and Predator, have The Rock and some crew (maybe add Statham), be tasked to hunt down the Alien for a large sum of money, and the Alien kills off 75%-80% of his crew and he subdues it. Next movie, have The Predator come in and Rock's new team hunts him down, Predator kills everyone but Rock and Statham, the two escape and send an "tamed" Alien after him. Alien vs Predator, at the end, the Alien is freed and the two escape. 

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

PROMETHEUS's 50+ ow showed the potential of the franchise. It wasn't even that strongly connected to the loved Alien movies.

Because it was much more original than just another Alien movie. A smart sci fi space series is more needed than another horror/action fest. 

What I would love for FOX to do would be to have Alien 5 go ahead, with Ripley going after the Engineers and the company in a big finale, but I doubt that will ever happen.

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Yes but that 50+ OW has to maintained every 2-3 year. Decreasing 100+ OW don't look that bad. Also they have OS support.

A complete reboot with deadpool budget and fresh something can be good.

Prometheus was an interesting movie. It was more of what was happening in the buildup, and then the last half was the Alien-esque style of it. 

Alien:Covenant won't be a flop, just make a total of at least $100 million domestic and do profitable overseas, which isn't bad considering that a film featuring xenomorphs more than just the last scene of the film(unadjusted).

"Alien" is a "Horror" Franchise first even though it's sci-fi.  I think it's box office must be looked at from that perspective.   It's dropping from "Prometheus" based on this OD.   If you honestly look at the full numbers of the franchise.  The first two sold the most tickets domestically adjusted.  The first "AVP" film actually did pretty well domestically.  I guess what I'm saying is yes, The Franchise did peak in the 70's and 80's and it's been downhill every since but with global markets expanding, I think Fox is hoping for those worldwide numbers to still come in good.  "Prometheus" did do over 400 Million WW.   "Alien" is the highest grossing Horror Franchise of all Time.  (Jaws is adjusted I believe thanks to the first film).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonthompson/2016/10/27/the-13-highest-grossing-horror-film-franchises-of-all-time-at-the-u-s-box-office/#1de901fd68d1

4 hours ago, baumer said:

Well it's not really a solid amount because 100,000,000 is without marketing. And when you toss in marketing you're talking at least another 75 million dollars worldwide if not more. So it's not a great number at all.

I think Marketing is usually covered by DVR sales, rentals, channel rights, etc.

A little over 2x the budget seems to indicate the movie will breakeven.  

Something to note: Captain Underpants is only getting one screen at my theater. Tickets went up the other day and because it's sharing 2D and 3D on a single screen, that implies it isn't getting more screens. It's not set in stone, but WW is probably getting 3+ and POTC will probably hang on to 2; chances are there won't be enough space for 2 CU. I have no idea what Fox is doing with this movie.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Considering that 375 is a legit number for GOTG2 and that OS is looking at sub-460 (unless things have changed recently), the gap between Dom and OS will be at most 85 (460-375).

That gap could reduce by 10-20.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Something to note: Captain Underpants is only getting one screen at my theater. Tickets went up the other day and because it's sharing 2D and 3D on a single screen, that implies it isn't getting more screens. I have no idea what Fox is doing with this movie.

YourMother won't be happy. I think Fox is not giving this a push since it's the last movie in their contract with DWA 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

YourMother won't be happy. I think Fox is not giving this a push since it's the last movie in their contract with DWA 

Lucky even if CU does $75M/$200M WW, it has a very cheap budget.

30 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Actually make a cinematic universe with Alien and Predator, have The Rock and some crew (maybe add Statham), be tasked to hunt down the Alien for a large sum of money, and the Alien kills off 75%-80% of his crew and he subdues it. Next movie, have The Predator come in and Rock's new team hunts him down, Predator kills everyone but Rock and Statham, the two escape and send an "tamed" Alien after him. Alien vs Predator, at the end, the Alien is freed and the two escape. 

Yep! 

Or, just make a FF and AvP crossover or FF and Alien crossover. As fans keep joking, FF will soon go to space. Well, this is the opportunity. :lol:

@John Marston IMO, Alien franchise problem is that there was nothing left to say after Aliens. Alien/Aliens is a perfect 2 pack and the rest was just a rehash of one or the other. Prometheus/AC tried something different, but was bogged down by silly mythologizing that made the origins much less appealing than what we could imagine without knowing for sure. In short, the victim of over-explaining while not being nearly as clever as they thought they were (Lindelof, etc).

Edited by Valonqar

20 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Prometheus was an interesting movie. It was more of what was happening in the buildup, and then the last half was the Alien-esque style of it. 

Alien:Covenant won't be a flop, just make a total of at least $100 million domestic and do profitable overseas, which isn't bad considering that a film featuring xenomorphs more than just the last scene of the film(unadjusted).

If it opens to less than 40 I don't see how it makes a hundred million.

• Like 1