kayumanggi

Thursday Numbers: 4.5 M BAYWATCH

$5.5M previews for POTC5: deadline

http://deadline.com/2017/05/pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-dead-men-tell-no-tales-baywatch-box-office-weekend-1202102887/

UPDATED, 8:33 AM: Paramount PicturesBaywatch‘s first day on the beach earned an estimated $4.5M (which includes $1.25M from Wednesday’s previews), according to two industry estimates, as the Memorial Day weekend goes full swing tonight. The R-rated feature based on the TV show which stars Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and Zac Efron, is now in 3,647 theaters. Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales took to the sea last night with $5.5M at 7 PM in previews and now sets sail in 4,276 theaters tonight (that includes 400 Imax locales and 500+ PLF, too).

Edited by Finnick
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Audiences are saving their money for superheroes, Despicable Me, and Nolan.

The Mummy is screwed.

While Universal's Monster Universe isn't a bad idea in itself, I do think The Mummy doesn't look appealing enough and doing action horror is risky. 

2 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Well, if Pirates fails, it's not like Disney will hurt this year - What with Beauty and the Beast, Guardians, Star Wars, and Thor.

The profits from Star Wars alone will cover any losses by Pirates.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Money in the bank, if they did this.

If they just did one-pop movies instead of dragging them out sequel after sequel (for the animated films, I mean), each movie would have good audience retention, instead of having those big drops in regular MCU

Plus, I don't think they'd cost that much. Gotta raise those profit margins

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

Pirates 5, returning Johnny Depp in the title role as the zany Captain Jack Sparrow, should easily win the holiday with $80 million or more for the four days. Still, that would mark the lowest start for the series behind the first film, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Franchise fatigue among U.S. consumers is a huge concern for Hollywood. Pirates 5 cost Disney more than $200 million to make before a major marketing spend, and is counting on a huge showing overseas, where it opens in every corner of the globe this weekend, save for Japan. The movie has already earned an impressive $34.5 million in its first two days and looks to score an opening day of $20 million in China, where it hit theaters Friday.

7 minutes ago, franfar said:

They need to ensure the movies do well before promising a universe/sequels

Studios never learn

People make some deal out of this... but

1) Can you lock a long list of people and have them known about that universe plan before they sign on those contract and keep it secret ? (IF not you want to control that story)

2) Why does it matter (except for them loosing face), but I mean for us the audience ?

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think that is less true than ever, the you cannot buy a first weekend is the current consensus (and for a long time) that why they are stressed so much and give people sequel/stuff proved to work with them so much.

I was being facetious, but this increasingly common strategy of planning 3+ movies before the first has even come out — and openly publicizing it! — demonstrates massive hubris on the part of studios. To the point where I'm glad it often bites them in the ass.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1