Eric Prime

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, dudalb said:

THis, it is just the past few years have had Memorial Day releases that just did not catch the Public's fancy.

Now that Jack Sparrow seems to have worn out his welcome with a good hunk of the film going public, Depp should really rethink his choiches. Guy is a very good actor, but for the last decade he has pretty much been doing but his "Dress up funny and act weird" shtick.  There were exceptions ("Black Mass") but overall Depp has been phoning it in. He needs to start taking some real roles again.

But then wed miss out on movies like Mortecai. Wait thats a good thing.

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

If Jurassic World had mixed reception, so did Avengers 1, both had identical runs.

Avenger is in a more frontloaded genre thought, I think we would need to compare home video sales over year's to have the full picture.

16 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Audiences are tired of sequels, CUs and remakes, the hunger for original content is palpable :

1 Beauty and the Beast (2017) BV $1,222.8 $498.8 40.8% $724.1 59.2%
2 The Fate of the Furious Uni. $1,215.1 $220.9 18.2% $994.3 81.8%
3 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 BV $742.4 $310.9 41.9% $431.5 58.1%
4 Logan Fox $607.4 $226.0 37.2% $381.4 62.8%
5 Kong: Skull Island WB $565.2 $167.1 29.6% $398.1 70.4%

Worldwide still loves them...that's still a given...but domestic only wants what it asks for...and it didn't ask for Pirates 5 or Aliens whatever or probably Transformers 5...

I'm betting some unasked for supers finally feel the pain next year...no one left the 1st Ant Man and asked for another Ant Man...

• Like 1

Pirates is off to a so-so start. Looks like a $55-$60 million 3-day start unless it gets a boost by Saturday or some thing. 

Baywatch is doing ok, but maybe Paramount should've kept on Friday instead.

There seems to be a confusion about @Mockingjay Raphael's post earlier. He didn't say that Avengers had mixed reception, he was responding to another poster who was claiming that JW had mixed reception and showed The Avengers as a counterpoint to that claim since Jurassic World's run was quite similar to The Avengers. Just wanted to clear that up. :) 

• Like 3

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I really hope Valerian becomes the next "Curse of the Black pearl".

I dont think so. I think you need something fresh and original to break out like Curse of the Black Pearl or Transformers. Plus its facing Dunkirk.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

THis, it is just the past few years have had Memorial Day releases that just did not catch the Public's fancy.

Now that Jack Sparrow seems to have worn out his welcome with a good hunk of the film going public, Depp should really rethink his choiches. Guy is a very good actor, but for the last decade he has pretty much been doing  his "Dress up funny and act weird" shtick.  There were exceptions ("Black Mass") but overall Depp has been phoning it in. He needs to start taking some real roles again.

Sorry to break it to you: he has fantastic beasts and monster universe franchises coming up next. 

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

no one left the 1st Ant Man and asked for another Ant Man...

Not only did I ask for it, I plan to be there OD.

• Like 8

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, babz06 said:

Sorry to break it to you: he has fantastic beasts and monster universe franchises coming up next. 

It says something that his presence in Fantastic Beasts was met with a big meh at best and ughh at worst.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I really hope Valerian becomes the next "Curse of the Black pearl".

It won't happen. I think more likely a stiffie from Rihanna in that movie seems more likely. Or Cara Delevigne's resting Bitch face. 

Matinee grosses are starting to come in and so far the fifth installment of Disney’s, Jerry Bruckheimer and Johnny Depp’s Pirates franchise is playing well. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is on track to take in about $23M to $25M today — that includes the $5.5M it grossed in previews last night. So that means that right now, it’s estimated to take around $65M for the three-day with a four-day weekend of right around $75Mto $80M. On the flipside, Paramount Pictures’ R-rated hopeful Baywatch may only take in $6.5M to $7M today with a four-day holiday of $23M to $24M and a five-day cume right around what we said this AM: $$27M to 29M.

Via DHD.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I have to imagine Disney is really happy that they didn't make a National Treasure 3. There's no way it wouldn't pull an Inferno if it were made now (almost 10 years since the second out).

They should have made a third one. Those movies were fun. Reminded me of Brendan Fraser's Mummy movies.

Edited by babz06

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I have to imagine Disney is really happy that they didn't make a National Treasure 3. There's no way it wouldn't pull an Inferno if it were made now (almost 10 years since the second out).

Nicholas Cage's career is so dead right now. I think a National Treasure 3 with him would flop bigger than ID:R.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Matinee grosses are starting to come in and so far the fifth installment of Disney’s, Jerry Bruckheimer and Johnny Depp’s Pirates franchise is playing well. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is on track to take in about $23M to $25M today — that includes the $5.5M it grossed in previews last night. So that means that right now, it’s estimated to take around $65M for the three-day with a four-day weekend of right around $75Mto $80M. On the flipside, Paramount Pictures’ R-rated hopeful Baywatch may only take in $6.5M to $7M today with a four-day holiday of $23M to $24M and a five-day cume right around what we said this AM: $$27M to 29M.

not bad in the end.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Via DHD.

that's actually not that bad considering

• Like 2