kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

I honestly feel like I watched a different film to most of the people in here 😂 It was clunky in places but it was hardly “bad”. Is it the tone switch that people are bumping into? It seems like the people who don’t like the Richard Donner Superman style are the ones that are seriously disliking it. I get that it’s a big swing, but give me fun, light and hopeful over grimdark, po-faced seriousness any day of the week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I honestly feel like I watched a different film to most of the people in here 😂 It was clunky in places but it was hardly “bad”. Is it the tone switch that people are bumping into? It seems like the people who don’t like the Richard Donner Superman style are the ones that are seriously disliking it. I get that it’s a big swing, but give me fun, light and hopeful over grimdark, po-faced seriousness any day of the week.

Not sure I would describe this as light and hopeful. Seemed pretty serious for a huge chunk of the movie. 

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

For this movie, verified audience score is useless and all audience is the best we’ve got. Blame WB’s release model for that.  

The all audience score is frankly fairly in line with a lot of other indicators, like:

audience reception elsewhere

critical reception in US

weak verified audience score (especially given the verified skew of theatrical vs MAX)

letterboxd

IMDb 

I think people want to dismiss it if they personally liked the movie more than its audience rotten is indicating, but I don’t see a strong quantitative argument against it.

You have to learn how to interpret the Verified Score.

75% Verified Score is not good for an action blockbuster and lines up with B/B+ Cinemascore films like Tenet, Birds of Prey, and Bloodshot.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

You have to learn how to interpret the Verified Score.

75% Verified Score is not good for an action blockbuster and lines up with B/B+ Cinemascore films like Tenet, Birds of Prey, and Bloodshot.

I know how to interpret verified scores. The problem is for usual movies, most people who actually watched it count in verified. For this movie, most of the people who actually watched it don’t count as verified. The verified score is specifically from people who were in a region with open theaters, and decided to pay more+get out of the house (during a time when the pandemic is still pretty bad). It’s a way different selection effect than for non-hybrid release movies.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Rise of Skywalker having an 86% audience score still baffles me.  I hardly know anybody that likes that film. 

86% verified isn't good though. It's consistent with the B+ Cinemascore. And I know plenty who did and didn't like it. Now that 75% for WW84 is bordering on disastrous, especially since it's only going to drop from here. 

Edited by Menor