kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Warner Bros. isn’t reporting any official box office results for Wonder Woman 1984 on its opening Christmas Day –which various sources tell us was record-worthy for the pandemic stateside

(...)

I’m told that Wonder Woman 1984 is on its way to posting the best 3-day during the pandemic, feasibly grossing in the low teens, and besting the 3-day of Tenet ($9.3M) and Croods 2 ($9.7M). Theater count is around 2,150. 

https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-glitches-christmas-day-box-office-1234661645/

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Disney/Marvel fans are having a field day with the combo of WW84 and BOP.

DC needs to  be sold from WB at this point. Its beyond obvious that WB is massively incompetent. 

There's creative decisions being made in both those movies that any reasonable person would say ... HOLY SHIT, this might not really be what the vast majority of the viewers want. They seemingly gave Patty got all the power in this film due to WW and this is what she felt people wanted ... and a large number seem to be turned off.  Now she's moving to a Star Wars property.  Good luck to her, because that fan base is just as crazy.

I mean personally, I found WW84 and BOP to be 'okay' but fuck, both those films bombing should have been seen coming.

Edited by AdamKendall

2 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

There's creative decisions being made in both those movies that any reasonable person would say ... HOLY SHIT, this might not really be what the vast majority of the viewers want. They seemingly gave Patty got all the power in this film due to WW and this is what she felt people wanted ... and a large number seem to be turned off.  Now she's moving to a Star Wars property.  Good luck to her, because that fan base is just as crazy.

I mean personally, I found WW84 and BOP to be 'okay' but fuck, both those films bombing should have been seen coming.

WW84 bombed? Get real! We’re in a damn pandemic! 

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

WW84 bombed? Get real! We’re in a damn pandemic! 

It bombed financially overseas in China where movies ARE making money.

It's bombed in the sense of not going over anywhere CLOSE to the level of WW critically with audiences.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Warner Bros. isn’t reporting any official box office results for Wonder Woman 1984 on its opening Christmas Day –which various sources tell us was record-worthy for the pandemic stateside

(...)

I’m told that Wonder Woman 1984 is on its way to posting the best 3-day during the pandemic, feasibly grossing in the low teens, and besting the 3-day of Tenet ($9.3M) and Croods 2 ($9.7M). Theater count is around 2,150. 

https://deadline.com/2020/12/wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-glitches-christmas-day-box-office-1234661645/

Deadline pulled this HBO crashed story from outta nowhere. I watched in another country over vpn and it worked fine.

• Like 2

Just now, AdamKendall said:

It bombed financially overseas in China.

It's bombed in the sense of not going over anywhere CLOSE to the level of WW critically with audiences.

The movie is a critical disappointment only because of the first movie’s performance. It is still fresh on RT. Maybe that changes, who knows? But calling it a bomb critically is far different from what it is from a critical standpoint- which at the moment would best be categorized as a disappointment. 

It bombed in China and so have many movies before it that had successful BO runs. We simply don’t have enough information to call it a bomb at the box office. Let’s wait and see how it performed with the lowered expectations of the pandemic release. Moreover, let’s see if it helped HBOMAX subscriptions, which was the main strategy underlying this streaming move. It was a money crab for sure. But let’s see if they get what they wanted. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

I think it’s pretty forgivable that they wouldn’t have expected BoP to bomb. Harley Quinn was the most popular part of the financially successful Suicide Squad, and Margot Robbie seems to be a popular actress. Meanwhile, Wonder Woman was a critical and commercial success that had great legs for a superhero movie, so it’s not shocking that they’d trust Patty Jenkins with this one. 

Ultimately though, I guess 2020 just wasn’t DC’s year, especially after 2019 turned out pretty good for them. 

• Like 1

Either Rotten Tomaotes do not have good forecasters, or WB (which has a part ownership stake with RT) has really questionable marketing.

WW84 is the 2nd time WB/RT have pulled a “Certified Fresh” but, it’s really not, like it did with JOKER last year.

They basically put most of the positive reviews in early first, enough to “certify it fresh” to hype its release and put it in their marketing, before slowly adding the negatives. By then no one cares, since the premature certification did it’s job for the marketing. 

tenor.gif

As a comic fan and someone who's in the comic/nerd space, I enjoyed it for what it is. I din't love it by any means but it was fine. 

Looking through my FB timeline however, I'm seeing a lot of casual viewers don't really care for it. Given this reaction, I'd be curious at what WW84 box office would have been in a non-Covid world. I can see it coming in below the original. 

• Like 3

Ultimately all WB(really AT&T) care about at this point are subs for max so that’s going to be the only measuring stick they use for this.

A movie can be successful without certain markets overseas but you’d love to see this movie doing better in those markets that are doing normal numbers now. This movie missed the mark for a lot of those markets.

Audience and critical reception are definitely way lower then the first but imo If Patty wants to come back and make a third movie they will let her. Lots of men have made average movies and have been given another chance. 

Darn online buzz for this changed drastically for this overnight.It's not BVS or SS level bad but still...

Probably will get a new screenwriter to work along with Jenkins. Make it more serious and closer to the original film while requesting bigger action sequences.

The problems people have are loud and clear. IMO Jenkins wanted to do an 80s Superhero film and she delivered in that aspect.