kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

If they are smart they'll keep the follow-ups on HBO Max. Maybe make a WW TV show because the quality of the movie and the release strategy may have killed the mega-blockbuster potential of the franchise. The sequel to this movie is not going to come close to WW's $400 million domestic gross and the CBM audience in the rest of the world is probably watching it for free after it leaked yesterday. How much will the sequel to this movie make worldwide in 2023 ? $500 million ? 

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm still really confused as to why the writers thought it would be a good idea to include a scene in the middle east. Did they forget that the optics would not look good considering Gadot's nationality and her history with the IDF? Regardless of whether they intended or not, that entire scene can easily be interpreted as zionist propaganda. 

Because most people don’t have a clue about Gals past, nor do they care cause they’re just watching a movie.

I’m not trying to dismiss your or anyone else feelings but most people have no idea about the stuff we discuss here or know what’s discussed on social media. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wait a second, I thought you were cool with him because of his Avatar work.

Just cause I like Avatar, doesn’t mean I forgot about Voltron. Also there’s like another reason outside of the large scale quality tanking after Season 2 of why I am displeased.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm still really confused as to why the writers thought it would be a good idea to include a scene in the middle east. Did they forget that the optics would not look good considering Gadot's nationality and her history with the IDF? Regardless of whether they intended or not, that entire scene can easily be interpreted as zionist propaganda. 

When you put it like that, it was pretty smart of them to include Saïd Taghmaoui’s character in the first one.

1 minute ago, TLK said:

If they are smart they'll keep the follow-ups on HBO Max. Maybe make a WW TV show because the quality of the movie and the release strategy may have killed the mega-blockbuster potential of the franchise. The sequel to this movie is not going to come close to WW's $400 million domestic gross and the CBM audience in the rest of the world is probably watching it for free after it leaked yesterday. How much will the sequel to this movie make worldwide in 2023 ? $500 million ? 

If the movie is good, it will make its money. The character is beloved by many. Even the racial and gender breakdown from Deadline showed broad appeal for it. 

12 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

But you’ve got to understand, when the pile on starts, objectivity goes out the window. It takes them off their sugar high. B+ CS Is fine. Not spectacular but not awful either. 

Both the Cinemascore and PostTrak are about the same as Justice League. The PostTrak scores are actually lower than JL. But it is true that this isn't the same as the "absolute disaster" ratings that the online scores are indicating. I think that's because the online scores include a lot of home viewers, who absolutely will have a different experience with the film than theatergoers. The CS/PostTrak/RT verified scores are most likely closer to what reception would have been in pre-Covid conditions -- but those numbers are still not good. 

Edited by Menor
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

If the movie is good, it will make its money. The character is beloved by many. Even the racial and gender breakdown from Deadline showed broad appeal for it. 

I know it will make money if they don't spend anything on CGI like they didn't for this one but the billion dollar potential is likely no longer there.

25 minutes ago, alfred8 said:

Currently at 4.8 Metacritic User Score.

(For comparison: MoS 7.5, BvS 7.0, Suicide Squad 6.0, Wonder Woman 6.6, Aquaman 6.9, Shazam! 7.6, Justice League 6.4, Birds of Prey 3.1)

All you need to know about that metric, LOL.   

It did just drop below 3 on letterboxd though. Feel like they’re basically the least brigades scores you can find.   

The RT trend  also seems pretty clear that with enough new reviews, it would dip below 60. I don’t think it will get quite that many total reviews though, probably just settle at 62 or something.

• Like 4

Look - it's brighter and happier and made to appeal to kids and non-superhero goers (which will skew out of the typical male 18-45 group).  So, you'll see more positives in exit scores and more wrath on the internet:)...

How that plays out long term for the Xmas dailies (I expect most days to hit about the same domestic number Sunday through next Sunday, whatever that number is) and for HBO Max subscribers, who knows...but I expect, seeing some of my boards, that HBO Max may be very happy that they made this their marquee release...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

I don’t know why people are getting so offended by numbers? The overall impressions of this movie are well below the first movie. I wouldn’t say it’s a disaster or anything but it’s definitely surprising this was the route Patty chose to take this movie in.

Even though I liked the movie It’s to easy to see the flaws In it and it’s really easy to see why many wouldn’t like the tone Patty chose. 

I still think a third movie can do fine but they will have some work to do to get that buy in again from people who didn’t like this movie. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TLK said:

They need to reboot the franchise

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AJG said:

You have to learn how to interpret the Verified Score.

75% Verified Score is not good for an action blockbuster and lines up with B/B+ Cinemascore films like Tenet, Birds of Prey, and Bloodshot.

46 minutes ago, LVB said:

132875828_786330952010307_59858938087915

So the verified score strikes again?!?! Abandon review bombed nonsense scores. Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

Both the Cinemascore and PostTrak are about the same as Justice League. The PostTrak scores are actually lower than JL. But it is true that this isn't the same as the "absolute disaster" ratings that the online scores are indicating. I think that's because the online scores include a lot of home viewers, who absolutely will have a different experience with the film than theatergoers. The CS/PostTrak/RT verified scores are most likely closer to what reception would have been in pre-Covid conditions -- but those numbers are still not good. 

We see a discrepancy pretty clearly with PostTrak/CS vs online. Presumably in part its driven by the 2 groups getting different experiences, but there’s also self-sorting — people who paid extra to go see this in a cinema are disproportionate likely to be megafans, much like we see on preview night with a normal release model. So, the physical scores are inflated a bit relative to actual audience reception — and this will be a dynamic we need to get used to if WB is going to do another dozen of these.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Because most people don’t have a clue about Gals past, nor do they care cause they’re just watching a movie.

I’m not trying to dismiss your or anyone else feelings but most people have no idea about the stuff we discuss here or know what’s discussed on social media. 

I feel like considering that Gadot is pretty much a big celebrity now, a lot more people do know about her past than you think. But tbf, I've heard no controversy about the movie being zionist propaganda from where I live (I live in the middle east) and all of it does seem to be coming from Americans. Still, I personally found it uncomfortable.

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Look - it's brighter and happier and made to appeal to kids and non-superhero goers (which will skew out of the typical male 18-45 group).  So, you'll see more positives in exit scores and more wrath on the internet:)...

How that plays out long term for the Xmas dailies (I expect most days to hit about the same domestic number Sunday through next Sunday, whatever that number is) and for HBO Max subscribers, who knows...but I expect, seeing some of my boards, that HBO Max may be very happy that they made this their marquee release...

You’re telling me that Warner Brothers made a superhero to not try to appeal to the biggest and most consistent movie fanbase on the planet?

some of you are twisting yourselves into so many knots you’re starting to look like pretzels 

• Like 1