kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

Just saw it.

GOTG and Wonder Woman are two of my favourite super movies, with this film I feel the same way I felt after watching GOTG 2. It’s long, too silly for its own good, and the emotional stuff didn’t connect with me. It’s disappointing.
I’ll probably type more on this later.

Also literally nothing else on HBO is 4K. It’s just this.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Have seen it. Everything makes sense now. More thought in review/spoilers thread later tonight.   

Audience score just now tipped to rotten, doubt it comes back.

You mean the unverified audience score? There’s a reason why they display the verified audience score. Wasn’t it after all the flooding of movies by trolls? 

• Like 2

The Sydney Morning Herald's review is so-so (3 out of 5, by a reviewer whose taste I greatly respect but who isn't usually ga-ga over superhero flicks) but it does add that Gal as Diana is probably the best piece of superhero casting since Christopher Reeve.

4 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

You mean the unverified audience score? There’s a reason why they display the verified audience score. Wasn’t it after all the flooding of movies by trolls? 

But in this case the verified score is exclusively people who paid to see it in a theater in these conditions, which is going to be very skewed (and still relatively low tbh).   

All of the people legitimately watching this movie in the main mode of release, digitally, will get classified as “unverified.” Very different dynamic than usual, and it will affect all the other hybrid releases — the WB movies, but also Raya and any other movies from other studios that experiment with similar.

I mean, to be clear, I would prefer to see a score which included:

A)people who watched it in theaters

B)people who watched it online

and didn’t include C) trolls who haven’t watched it at all. Unfortunately RT’s system, which wasn’t build to handle the existence of group B at all, offers the choice between just A or A+B+C, each with their own flaws. I don’t see too much evidence of a troll campaign for this movie like TLJ or CM, but perhaps I’ve just been lucky enough to avoid those quarters of the Internet.

This movie feels to me a lot like Order of the Phoenix the book in that it is way too long and could have used a good editor. CGI and action especially in the end between Diana and Cheetah are pretty laughably bad. It's very ham-fisted and hits you over the head multiple times with the message and that get quite annoying at the end. I think if I had watched this in theaters on the big screen I would have been very bored and slightly disappointed, but watching at home it was pretty entertaining. Pedro Pascal looks like he's having a great time and he's definitely the highlight for me. Third act was a bit underwhelming, but it didn't ruin the movie for me like it did for the first movie. 

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Without having seen the movie for myself (I still haven’t gotten HBO Max), the main problems people are having from what I gather are the length, the lack of action and too many cornball moments? 

It's very preachy, whimsical at times, long, and not much action. 

Well...I liked it.

It’s admittedly not as good as the first one and there’s nothing as powerful as the No Man’s Land scene, but it’s fun and hopeful. The plot is bonkers, but I don’t see how you can grumble at that if you were able to accept the concept of a magical lasso that compels people to tell the truth in the first film.

It feels like a mixture of the Christopher Reeve Superman films and Indiana Jones in places. I will say though, if you watched Wonder Woman and WW84 back to back you would definitely get tonal whiplash, but at the same time I respect it for doing something different and not just rehashing the first film.

Another film with certified removed from RT. Just a bit surprising they give it so fast when it’s at around 90 reviews while not for Tenet when it’s still 75% at 150 reviews. 

Now this is at 68% and Tenet still at 70% lol 😂 

So, better watch the films ourselves, early reviews if positive do not guarantee anything too. However, I enjoy this sequel.