WrathOfHan

All the Money in the World | 25th of December, 2017 | Wahlberg's gotta get paid

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

But maybe the performance doesn't work anymore...

As I mentioned on a different thread, who can now watch early seasons of House of Cards and not see the actor as predator vs the character as one? 

So maybe the director himself couldn't see past Spacey now in the role he had...and if so, the performance suffers and it drags the whole movie down...so, replacing him is just like replacing anyone else that's been done before...

Getty refused to pay the ransom for his kidnapped teen-aged grandson for weeks even after his cut off ear was sent to him.  Not a nice or sympathetic human being.  Like the House of Cards - Spacey's now corrupt image might enhance the role.

Regardless, Plummer with his age and patrician bearing are a better fit for the then 81 yr old Getty.  

It's a fascinating story and a rather sad one, especially considering the aftermath.  If handled well it could be a very good movie. A lot of people have their work and money invested in it so why should they all suffer for his actions.

• Like 2

Just now, La Binoche said:

Wait, no date change?? How is that possible. The role is pretty substantial, at least in the script. 

Spacey only filmed 7 to 8 days.   I doubt much of his scenes take place outside of his home or business so not much to set up in terms of sets.  Ridley's already edited the movie so he knows what he needs to film  and how it already fits.  If it stays on it's Dec 22 release they still have a month for post production.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Such overreaction. Over-compensating political correctness 

or

they want to avoid what they feel will be devastating press. 

This use of the term "political correctness" as a boogeyman used to defend horrible people and actions is really getting annoying. This case isn't about someone getting offended by a silly joke, it's about sexual assault of a minor, which is a serious and horrible thing.

• Like 15

I can't be sure of this of course, but if it had been just the initial accusation about making advances to Anthony Rapp, then maybe he would not be pulled from the film.  But this new allegation that he got a boy drunk and then grabbed his genitals, is the one that sealed the deal.  This makes him a pervert and a deviant and it's no wonder he got pulled from the film.  

38 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

I can't be sure of this of course, but if it had been just the initial accusation about making advances to Anthony Rapp, then maybe he would not be pulled from the film.  But this new allegation that he got a boy drunk and then grabbed his genitals, is the one that sealed the deal.  This makes him a pervert and a deviant and it's no wonder he got pulled from the film.  

An advance is a hand on the knee.  It's not picking someone up (a 14 yr old someone), throwing him on the bed and grinding on top of him.  That's sexual assault of a child.

Add at least a dozen other reports of sexual harassment and assault that followed the same pattern including the one from a man who said they were in a relationship when he was 14 until  then 26 yr old Spacey tried to rape him - and Spacey's career is as dead as Weinstein's.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

An advance is a hand on the knee.  It's not picking someone up (a 14 yr old someone), throwing him on the bed and grinding on top of him.  That's sexual assault of a child.

Add at least a dozen other reports of sexual harassment and assault that followed the same pattern including the one from a man who said they were in a relationship when he was 14 until  then 26 yr old Spacey tried to rape him - and Spacey's career is as dead as Weinstein's.

Sorry, I didn't read that part about him throwing him on the bed.  I for some reason thought it was just verbal advances.

• Like 2

I like Ridley Scott's movies more than many people here, but I don't think it is a particularly brave decision. Spacey is toxic at the moment to say the least (and it could get worse any day), so they had almost no choice. The only surprising part is to leave the release date unchanged.

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

I like Ridley Scott's movies more than many people here, but I don't think it is a particularly brave decision. Spacey is toxic at the moment to say the least (and it could get worse any day), so they had almost no choice. The only surprising part is to leave the release date unchanged.

Spacey's scenes only took 8-10 days to shoot (meaning he's clearly not in the movie much) so I guess it can be done. I think the worst that'll happen is that Sony will move the release date back three days to Christmas Day (there aren't any movies currently set to open on that date in wide release anyway), and they can easily make a trailer focusing on just the Michelle Williams/Mark Wahlberg characters.

8 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Certainly put this on my to watch list. To support Scott, and as a way of supporting the punishment of abusers, since the odds of any criminal action against Spacey seem...not good.

Hmm, Since there are no formal charges, I'm guessing his contract means he'll still be making money from the movies success.