CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

It opened to 2.83 in Australia. For comparision WW opened to 1.12 and Civil War opened to 3.020. So it is relatively very good number. 

Some fun stats. Giving this the same internal and Aus to US OW multiplier as WW gives an OW of 260+ :P

Giving it the lowest internal multi of OD to OW of BvS and the lowest OW to US OW multi of SS gives this a dom OW of 105.9

• Like 1

More interested in the day-to-day holds than opening day. If it's as much of a to-be WOM hit as people claim it could be then it should be mirroring GOTG's holds more than most other comps.

• Like 2

IDK what people are surprised by. Spider-Man has been done to death. There's nothing fresh with him. Same with Stark and Iron Man. 

30 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Yeah but WW and Suicide Sqaud's OWs seemed to exceed and meet expectations while for the most part Marvel movies receive predictions that cause good OWs to seem disappointing in hindsight.   

That's true. I think the problem is that people pay too much attention to Rotten Tomatoes when it comes to Marvel movies. Because of the good reviews every movie is expected to open with absurdly huge numbers. I saw plently of 170-190mil opening weekend GOTG 2 and 450-500mil total predictions. Maybe Spider-Man will open with massive numbers and make over 400mil but I am sick of the over predictions that make perfectly good grosses look disappointing to some people.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gopher said:

More interested in the day-to-day holds than opening day. If it's as much of a to-be WOM hit as people claim it could be then it should be mirroring GOTG's holds more than most other comps.

Taking my WW tack:)...but I admit - I agree with you - pre-summer, I thought Spidey could also have better-than-average supers legs b/c of the feel of the trailers (it looked quality and apparently, it is) and b/c of the fuller 4 quadrant take on the audience than most supers (not as good as WW in hitting them, but close)...

• Like 1

In the "good news" category, my local added a VERY last minute show at 9:25pm tonight (like apparently 2 hours prior)...back when WW opened and it grew through the weekend, my 2 locals (even with reserved seating) were finding individual showings left and right to throw at WW all through the weekend.  Hasn't happened for a movie since, but did tonight again...

And just checking, this same local has now added a 12:01am showing for Friday and Saturday nights, giving it one more showing per day than it had at 7pm tonight...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

http://deadline.com/2017/07/spider-man-homecoming-box-office-opening-1202124834/

Writethru Thursday 9:01PM after 6:08 PM post: After strong west coast ticket sales, Sony/Marvel’s Spider-Man: Homecoming looks to have increased from the $10M we saw earlier tonight to $13M-plus.  That figure could be higher by the time the sun comes up.

:) 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Gonna nick this from your other (very good) thread for context:

On 6/07/2017 at 11:22 AM, MikeQ said:

Here I have lists that look at the share of preview gross's of comic book films of their opening day and their opening weekend. This is really useful for projecting how a comic book film might do for opening day and over the weekend once their preview gross is released. Comparisons to similar comic book films can be made, and we see some clear patterns, etc, that can be useful.

Preview Gross’ Share of Opening Day & Opening Weekend for COMIC BOOK FILMS:

Preview Grosses for Some Comic Book Films and the Share of Opening Day

Title / Preview Gross / Share of Opening Day

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) — 30.6 million (40.4%)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) — 27.7 million (34.0%)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) — 27.6 million (32.7%)

Captain America: Civil War (2016) — 25 million (33.1%)

Suicide Squad (2016) — 20.5 million (31.6%)

Marvel's The Avengers (2012) — 18.7 million (23.1%)

The Dark Knight (2008) — 18.5 million (27.5%)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) — 17 million (30.2%)

Iron Man 3 (2013) — 15.6 million (22.7%)

Deadpool (2016) — 12.7 million (26.8%)

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) — 11.2 million (29.6%)

Wonder Woman (2017) — 11 million (28.3%)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) — 10.2 million (27.6%)

Doctor Strange (2016) — 9.4 million (28.8%)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) — 8.7 million (24.7%)

Peace,

Mike

13M would be between Deadpool and Iron Man 3. Bodes pretty well for the weekend to come, me thinks.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Gonna nick this from your other (very good) thread for context:

13M would be between Deadpool and Iron Man 3. Bodes pretty well for the weekend to come, me thinks.

In (dis)honor of our fallen Caucasian:

wtf.gif

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Like I said earlier. 13M is around where I would see it.

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

So far this year, they had Rogue One at 30 and it came in at 30? (I honestly don't remember) BATB at 12-14 and it came in at 16, F8 at 10-12 and it came at 10, Guardians 2 at 16-20 and it came in at 17M. I have been thinking a 12-15M range based on presales and sellouts, won't be surprised with that number being 13M or so by morning.

The 9pm Deadline update has been pretty accurate mostly, so expecting it to stick around that number by morning.

• Like 2