CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

I'd love for nothing more than modern audiences to prove me wrong about their superhero/IP-only appetite and push this to 60 or 70 mil, but I just doubt things are going to turn around. Still, over 40mil OW would be very good for this and I can see that happening easily. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I'd love for nothing more than modern audiences to prove me wrong about their superhero/IP-only appetite and push this to 60 or 70 mil, but I just doubt things are going to turn around. Still, over 40mil OW would be very good for this and I can see that happening easily. 

Considering basterds did that decade ago and this will have PLF(not iMax), its not a stretch. Leo opened a Gatsby to 50m. This one with QT, Leo, Pitt and Robbie with great reviews will break out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Considering basterds did that decade ago and this will have PLF(not iMax), its not a stretch. Leo opened a Gatsby to 50m. This one with QT, Leo, Pitt and Robbie with great reviews will break out.

Hope you're right. Although if I remember correctly Basterds opened to 39 mil. If you're talking adjusted that would be 46 mil. 

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Gatsby was quite the "franchise", it is one of the most popular book of all time adaptation.

But yeah this will have some real event hook, the cast, the glorious review, giant marketing, could see Gravity/The Martian opening happening like a much bigger A Star is Born.

Once events status is achieved and sheepish part of our brain get activated, who knows....

Edited by Barnack

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Gatsby was quite the "franchise", it is one of the most popular book of all time adaptation.

But yeah this will have some real event hook, the cast, the glorious review, giant marketing, could see Gravity/The Martian opening happening like a much bigger A Star is Born. 

Once events status is achieved and sheepish part of our brain get activated, who knows....

This will be the event film for adults. Event films tend to open bigger than expected. We have seen R rated movies break out and QT fan base is also growing. I just dont see how it opens to "just" 40-50m.

• Like 1

Gatsby also was only expected to $35-40m, it's inflated $54m came against IRON MAN 3's $80m too.

Everything about this movie is super commercial. Huge stars, Hollywood, this will definitely top $70m opening weekend. For sure. 

Reviews do nothing to make me feel like raising my 40-45 OW/125-140 total prediction. A 160-minute plotless comedy-drama about the everyday life of a second-rate actor and his stunt double in 1969 doesn't strike me as an event movie for the GA, much as I'd like to be proven otherwise. Maybe it'll manage to open in the 50s due to sheer curiosity but then I'd expect weaker legs to follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

Is it confirmed that Lena Dunham is in this much? I haven't seen much in the way of mentions so hopefully not cause nope to her.

From what I saw of twitter reactions the movie is Brad&Leo all the time, Robbie and unknown (at least until July) Margaret Qualley have real supporting roles and everyone else is in it for a scene or two.

About the boxoffice potential I don't think the reception at Cannes will swing things that much. I feel a 40m OW is a lowball and would be dissapointing for this considering the budget, star power and overall hype. I can see it opening to 50-55m with a shot at Pitt's and Leo's career best OW (62-66m) if it really breaks out. But people thinking 70m+ is a piece of cake because Leo opened Gatsby at 50m are setting themselves up for dissapointment.

Edited by Joel M

1 minute ago, Joel M said:

From what I saw of twitter reactions the movie is Brad&Leo all the time, Robbie and unknown (at least until July) Margaret Qualley have real supporting roles and everyone else is in it for a scene or two.

About the boxoffice potential I don't think the reception at Cannes will swing things that much. I feel a 40m OW is a lowball and would be dissapointing for this considering the budget, star power and overall hype. I can see it opening to 50-55m with a shot at Pitt's and Leo's career best OW (62-66m) if it really breaks out. But people thinking 70m+ is a piece of cake because Leo opened Gatsby at 50m are setting themselves up to dissapointment.

Margaret Qualley has been doing a perfect Ann Reinking on Fosse/Verdon as well. Good for Andie MacDowell producing such a talented daughter. A proper major breakout role can't be far off at this point.

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Reviews do nothing to make me feel like raising my 40-45 OW/125-140 total prediction. A 160-minute plotless comedy-drama about the everyday life of a second-rate actor and his stunt double in 1969 doesn't strike me as an event movie for the GA, much as I'd like to be proven otherwise. Maybe it'll manage to open in the 50s due to sheer curiosity but then I'd expect weaker legs to follow.

Yeah i don't expect this to outgross django. sounds like it's pretty slow and a lot of people describing it as a "hang out movie" until whatever craziness happens in the last 30 minutes.

• Like 3

I really hope these predictions come true. But I don't think people should be regarding 40 mil as disappointing. No matter the stars, this is still a 2.5 hour hang-out movie about Hollywood in a time when people aren't so high on Hollywood itself due to Me Too, etc. 

• Like 1

I just want to thank everyone in this forum for not allowing this place to devolve into a self-righteous, performative woke dumpster fire like Twitter has become. The Tarantino dunking and general moralizing you'll find there is the fucking worst. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

:gold:   Poor Salma.  You have to know the snake was by far the least disturbing being touching her body.

That movie has perhaps my favorite George Clooney line:

"No,Thanks, I have aleady been married".