franfar

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (yes that's the subtitle) | May 24, 2024 | Anya Taylor-Joy is Furiosa + Chris Hemsworth

6 hours ago, 1Robert1 said:

Did fury road made a profit for WB?

Estimated at over $426 mil. generated from global box office and home video sales...but of course not all of that went back to the studio.  Still it earned 10 Oscar Nominations...which surely generated further revenue. No One turns down another Mad Max-related film from George Miller.  They'll let him make as many more as he can, as long as he can.  Unless this one really flops...which I doubt it will.  Miller has almost never made a "bad" movie.  I see global returns matching or exceeding Fury Road.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Mad-Max-Fury-Road#tab=summary

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

Ill be honest i dont understand the negativity surrounding this movie. The trailer was solid, im sold for Anya as a young Furiosa and as massive Fury Road enjoyer i cant wait for another action blast from George Miller. If its even half as good as Fury Road as a movie, it will still be one of the best of the year.

Im Hyped!

• Like 9

I feel like Fury Road set the bar so high that any follow-up to it was bound to appear like it will pale in comparison (though the complaint that it appears "too clean" rings hollow, that's just a Hollywood film made in the 2020s at this point for ya). Still excited for this though, easily among my 5 most anticipated for next year.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TMP said:

Everything about this feels so DTV compared to Fury Road… hoping it’s another shit WB ad campaign, but even as a Wonka truther I’m getting some bad joojoo on this one. Hoping to be wrong!

I hope so, too.  I wouldn't ever doubt George Miller...who has a pretty sterling rep.  I can almost guarantee the movie, even if fractured, will end up being more interesting than most other things next summer... but we haven't even heard a sniff of any production problems, anyway, right??  And of course FURY ROAD has issues...but turned out to be...genius (in my opinion)!

Edited by Macleod

6 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I hope so, too.  I wouldn't ever doubt George Miller...who has a pretty sterling rep.  I can almost guarantee the movie, even if fractured, will end up being more interesting than most other things next summer... but we haven't even heard a sniff of any production problems, anyway, right??  And of course FURY ROAD has issues...but turned out to be...genius (in my opinion)!

I think the sad thing is this might still be the only movie i’m interested in currently dated for summer ‘24 lol. Expecting a Mickey17 delay tho

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Everything about this feels so DTV compared to Fury Road… hoping it’s another shit WB ad campaign, but even as a Wonka truther I’m getting some bad joojoo on this one. Hoping to be wrong!

Agreed. The trailer has a sheen of cleanliness I never felt with the Fury Road trailers. Also, Anya Taylor Joy doesn't feel like a younger Charlize Theron. And Chris Hemsworth, for some reason, looks goofy to me. 

It'll probably be great, but also, Babe was an amazing movie, and then Babe: Pig in the City was a disappointment, so George Miller isn't new to underwhelming sequels.

I'll be seeing it regardless but have to agree on both the poster and trailer not really grabbing me. It's going to be really tough to hit the benchmark that Fury Road set but I have hope George Miller can pull it off. A rebound from Three Thousand Years of Longing (a movie I unfortunately did not care for) for him at the box office would be nice. 

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Agreed. The trailer has a sheen of cleanliness I never felt with the Fury Road trailers. Also, Anya Taylor Joy doesn't feel like a younger Charlize Theron. And Chris Hemsworth, for some reason, looks goofy to me. 

It'll probably be great, but also, Babe was an amazing movie, and then Babe: Pig in the City was a disappointment, so George Miller isn't new to underwhelming sequels.

Did Tom Hardy feel like Mel Gibson

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Did Tom Hardy feel like Mel Gibson

I haven't seen the original Mad Max. Fury Road was my first entry into the world of Mad Max, so it didn't matter because so much time had passed between Mad Max movies.

Also, Mel Gibson has baggage that Charlize Theron doesn't, so my view of him is worse than my view of her.

4 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I haven't seen the original Mad Max. Fury Road was my first entry into the world of Mad Max, so it didn't matter because so much time had passed between Mad Max movies.

Also, Mel Gibson has baggage that Charlize Theron doesn't, so my view of him is worse than my view of her.

Which is why, by the time Miller got around to making Fury Road, he of course couldn't use Gibson anymore.  But it ultimately proved the better for reviving the franchise, I think...  although I still would have *loved* to see an older, grizzled, Gibson-Max facing off against Robert Downey Jr.'s antagonist (that was the plan around 2001) !!

On 12/3/2023 at 11:22 AM, Macleod said:

I just LOVE how ballsy Miller is literally having Hemsworth mimic his THOR outfit and cape... He gives no shits (and apparently, neither does Hemsworth)...and I'm here for it.  Still...(would have preferred Charlize Theron back!)

But I can't imagine this will be anything less than extremely satisfying...and at the very least an energetic prequel unique from most other summer blockbuster schlock! 

When having a closer look at the trailer, it appears that Hemsworth's "cape" is more white...but gets stained with blood at a certain point; so that shot of him in a "red" cape is a great illusion...but surely a wicked nod by Miller! 

I guess I’m one of the few people here who doesn’t have a problem with the way the movie looks from the trailer? Then again, it has been a while since I rewatched Fury Road, and I haven’t seen the trailer in theaters, so there’s that. 

Edited by WittyUsername

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I guess I’m one of the few people here who doesn’t have a problem with the way the movie looks from the trailer? Then again, it has been a while since I rewatched Fury Road, and I haven’t seen the trailer in theaters, so there’s that. 

Right there with you. Don't understand the complaints. It looks just fine. 

I wish the CCXP poster would've just been the official poster bc that one kinds rules. This new one... not great

I think the movie will be good. I think the trailer is generally pretty good. But it really felt like an announcement trailer. There were basically 0 money shots in that trailer. No awesome action shots. Compare it to any Fury Road trailer and it completely pales in comparison

Also I'll completely fight back on "Tom Hardy was a shit Mad Max". His Max didn't feel like Mel Gibsons, sure, but that's a good thing imo. He truly made Max his own and it works in the myth feeling of Max in his saga. He plays a great feral version of the character. One who you feel like hasn't interacted with people in like a decade. Great physical performance 

Anya looks fine in the trailer but her eyes kinda lack the rage and grit Charlize has

Anyways I'm jacked for the movie, I think it'll be good, but yeah I think the marketing is off to a rocky start. Hopefully the next trailer that will surely be with Dune Part II melts some faces off. They gotta go all out on that one. They also gotta figure out the date situation. No way this and Apes come out the same day

9 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I wish the CCXP poster would've just been the official poster bc that one kinds rules. This new one... not great

I think the movie will be good. I think the trailer is generally pretty good. But it really felt like an announcement trailer. There were basically 0 money shots in that trailer. No awesome action shots. Compare it to any Fury Road trailer and it completely pales in comparison

Also I'll completely fight back on "Tom Hardy was a shit Mad Max". His Max didn't feel like Mel Gibsons, sure, but that's a good thing imo. He truly made Max his own and it works in the myth feeling of Max in his saga. He plays a great feral version of the character. One who you feel like hasn't interacted with people in like a decade. Great physical performance 

Anya looks fine in the trailer but her eyes kinda lack the rage and grit Charlize has

Anyways I'm jacked for the movie, I think it'll be good, but yeah I think the marketing is off to a rocky start. Hopefully the next trailer that will surely be with Dune Part II melts some faces off. They gotta go all out on that one. They also gotta figure out the date situation. No way this and Apes come out the same day

I don’t know why they can’t simply push this back a week. There’s nothing wrong with the weekend after Memorial Day.