franfar

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (yes that's the subtitle) | May 24, 2024 | Anya Taylor-Joy is Furiosa + Chris Hemsworth

I'm gonna love the hell out of this movie, but the first word that pops into my head about the trailer is "glossy". There's a digital sheen over this that was lacking in Fury Road. The oranges are too saturated. The clouds are clearly CGI'd. The lighting on some of the non-action shots is artificial. Looks like a lot more soundstage vs out in the desert.

Again, I'm gonna see this multiple times in theater I'm sure, and I understand that COVID-related production limitations were in effect, but I am just a little disappointed by some (to be clear, not most) of the shots showcased so far. Anya and Chris look tops though, and down for more Immortan Joe.

5 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Studio is probably afraid that people have no clue from where the titular character is, so they wanted so slap the franchise name somehow on the movie.

Even then, it seems really unnecessary. At this point, I would think that most of the moviegoers who are familiar with this franchise would be able to recognize the name ‘Furiosa.’ 

I can only assume this was David Zaslav’s idea, since I’m pretty sure he was also responsible for that dumb title change for the Alfred Pennyworth show. 

Edited by WittyUsername

We need more Dirty Harry/James Bond-style titles where you don't need some sort of slogan or tagline to make stupid people go, "oh it's in that franchise." Like who would want an unwieldy title like "Octopussy: A James Bond Mission"?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Fury Road cost almost 180 mln in 2015, what do you mean?

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/mad-max-lawsuit-george-miller-warner-bros-sequels-1201953053/

The lawsuit accuses Warner Bros. of acting in a “high-handed, insulting or reprehensible” manner and “destroying” its relationship with Kennedy Miller Mitchell by refusing to pay the production company a bonus fee for delivering the movie under budget. Kennedy Miller Mitchell claims it is eligible for $9 million after it delivered “Fury Road” under the agreed budget of $157 million. The production company says “Fury Road’s” final budget was $154.6 million, although Warner Bros. claims the film went way over budget and cost $185.1 million.

Basically, everyone thinks the film "could have" been made for 155M and there was a lawsuit debating if the extra 30M qualifies under the contract as something like an "excused expenditure that doesn't count against the contractual budget limits for bonuses"

Of course, contra OP, 155M in 2015 is a "hollywood budget"

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric Wonka said:

We need more Dirty Harry/James Bond-style titles where you don't need some sort of slogan or tagline to make stupid people go, "oh it's in that franchise." Like who would want an unwieldy title like "Octopussy: A James Bond Mission"?

(1) Everyone would just call it "Octopussy" (2) They...sort of did the older version of this - "James Bond 007 in Octopussy" conveys the same intended point even if it isn't the "official" title. It feels like they want the name "officially" in the title now for digital marketing reasons.

octopussy-vintage-movie-poster-original-

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Noctis said:

They should have gone with just Furiousa. The heart, soul, and anchor of Mad Max: Fury Road's story.

idk

Furiousa: The heart, soul, and anchor of Mad Max: Fury Road's story seems like a cooler title 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Y’all must have watched a different trailer to me because I think this looks amazing. Even Chris Hemworth’s casting is winning me over. I’m so there opening day. 

I agree, i dont really get the negativity. Some scenes in the trailer do look a bit too "clean" and digital, but imo thats a minor thing and the finished movie will surely look even better.

Can someone explain me WB's thinking and strategy?

They release the first trailer to Furiosa, a prequel to Mad Max Fury Road that was released 8 years ago and have literraly no promotion on X (because of the Elon thing not going to say more everyone knows the story). Not a single poster or the trailer.

House of The Dragon a show on HBO streaming on MAX all owned by WB are all in promoting House of The Dragon Season 2.

For Furiosa they let multiple low quality copies of the trailer go viral on X and that definitely had a negative effect on the reception. They had free publicity and they let it all go for what?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Same as first teaser for Fury Road.

Movie has the same vfx supervisor Andrew Jackson (who has excellent portfolio) and has time for polishing cgi.

People are so hungry for unstoppable crying about everything, it's pretty marvellous. They need it more than oxygen.

Not really? It looks worse than Fury Road's initial Comic Con trailer which was released almost a year before release and Furiosa has been in post for well over a year at this point with a release date in 6 months, I hope they'll fix a bunch of awful looking shots, but I can't think of single movie where CGI was greately improved on release compared to first trailer. And it seems like they also used this terrible technology Volume which makes matters even worse.

• Like 1

I feel like most people criticizing the "bad CGI" (including the ones that say it's just "unfinished" and will look better) don't seem to see that Miller is purposefully going for more heightened imagery here.

Do think this movie is going to be quite divisive though merely because Miller (like he always does) will try to make something unique and different here.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

May 24th is gonna be one of the most interesting box office weekends there's been in a while. R, PG-13, and PG new releases, and a case could be made for any of the three to take the number one spot.

I still don't get why Disney didn't move up Kingdom to the coveted first weekend of May spot when Deadpool was delayed. Too late now though as Fall Guy has snatched it.

2 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

Can someone explain me WB's thinking and strategy?

They release the first trailer to Furiosa, a prequel to Mad Max Fury Road that was released 8 years ago and have literraly no promotion on X (because of the Elon thing not going to say more everyone knows the story). Not a single poster or the trailer.

House of The Dragon a show on HBO streaming on MAX all owned by WB are all in promoting House of The Dragon Season 2.

For Furiosa they let multiple low quality copies of the trailer go viral on X and that definitely had a negative effect on the reception. They had free publicity and they let it all go for what?

I'd guess because they have 16 million views on tiktok.