WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, some people need to be fired over at fox for War's "marketing." There's really no excuse whatsoever for it to not be matching Dawn's opening, let alone dropping that bad, considering the reception of the first two, the reception of this one, and relatively weak direct competition. Hopefully this is a lesson that even in this day and age marketing still matters.

IMO, marketing means more than a film's quality/reception ESPECIALLY in this day and age.

• Like 5

Just now, superduperm said:

IMO, marketing means more than a film's quality/reception ESPECIALLY in this day and age.

It will be absolutely disgraceful on Fox's part if this doesn't even beat Rise's OW, which is possible if those early numbers hold. Don't just leave your film hanging on its own, even if it is a part of a well liked franchise.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It will be absolutely disgraceful on Fox's part if this doesn't even beat Rise's OW, which is possible if those early numbers hold. Don't just leave your film hanging on its own, even if it is a part of a well liked franchise.

Not only is this film killing it in critical reception, but based on early figures from user scores on RT, MC, and imdb, this is looking like it'll have phenomenal WOM.

Fox better pray that the early estimates we're getting aren't an indication of what's to come, because you are absolutely right. This should have been a slam dunk to make bank.

Edited by superduperm
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

In other news, BATB finishes at $504,014,165 DOM.

2.884x OW

If a live-action remake of BATB can do 500 million domestic, I shudder to think what The Lion King will do. Is there a nineties Disney animation more beloved than TLK? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The movie's doing very well still considering how extreme the expansion was. It was always gonna be powered by WOM as it expanded anyway. Still on track for at least $40M, which puts it on the high end of Sundance acquisitions over the past decade.

Perhaps. 12 million acquisition. Massive marketing campaign. Very little foreign market. Let's say it finds a way to 40 million. That isn't gonna cover acquisition and  marketing costs. They thought they had another Trainwreck on their hands. I think that was mistake. But it might pay off come Oscar season.

• Like 1

I've been following 2 local theaters since early afternoon in Northern VA and will post tickets sold for each show FWIW. This is a popular area for movies so these theaters way over perform, but also FWIW this is at least as packed for evening times as SMH last Friday (seems moreso, but didn't get exact #s down last week). 630pm Apes is ~200 filled seats at $20.59 per seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The idealization of a past you never lived is one of human's most fascinating shortcoming.

Are you dissing nostalgia?

The purest and most powerful drug with zero side effects? :sparta:

Edited by grey ghost

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yep. Logan did great for what it was but in North America it will be the lowest grossing Superhero movie. R rated Deadpool made 363mil and guess what? It's a fun blockbuster. I don't know if Wonder Woman can be considered "fun" but it does have a decent amount of humor and although it's serious it doesn't have a hopeless or near hopeless tone.

Additionally, Wonder Woman has lots of heart. In my opinion, it has connected because, like you say, it is not a dour slog of a superhero film, but mostly (just based on non-scientific observation), because it has a potent emotional core. It makes people feel for its characters and it makes audiences look up to a joyful, caring, loving hero who also happens to be a badass. 

• Like 3

My predictions for next weekend:

Dunkirk- $42M

Girls Trip- $28M

Valerian- $16M

I feel like upfront interest for Dunkirk won't be high enough to push it past Interstellar's opening (that movie felt like it had more going for it all around) but it could prove to be very leggy. Girls Trip will be the savior of what's been a terrible summer for studio comedies. Valerian is a cult hit waiting to happen and will perform like one.

Summer RT Watch Update: With the wide expansion (to about 2600 theatres) of The Big Sick this weekend, I've added it to the list - currently the best reviewed wide opening/expanding film of the summer. Apes also is at the top of the list as one of the best reviewed films of the summer. Valerian so far is in the Fresh territory. And Wish Upon has joined the Rotten end of the list.

Last summer had only one wide-release film with an 8.0+ average rating on RT (can you remember what that was without looking it up? :)). Already this summer we have three, with Dunkirk essentially certain to add to that once the review embargo ends on Monday (tweets from critics have been overwhelmingly very positive, with lots of raves).

Last summer also had only 10 films with an 80+% on RT. So far this summer we have nine films that have hit this milestone, and again, Dunkirk will almost certainly end up there next week, making for ten. It remains to be seen how many more can hit this milestone in terms of RT critical reception.

2017 Summer Films RT Watch (Wide-Release — May/June/July/August)

1. The Big Sick — 97% — 8.4 rating
  2. Baby Driver — 96% — 8.1 rating
  3. War for the Planet of the Apes — 94% — 8.2 rating
  4. Spider-Man: Homecoming — 93% — 7.6 rating
  5. Wonder Woman — 92% —  7.5 rating
  6. It Comes At Night — 88% — 7.4 rating
  7. Captain Underpants — 85% — 6.8 rating
  8. Megan Leavey — 82% — 6.7 rating
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 — 81% — 7.1 rating
  10. Alien: Covenant — 71% — 6.4 rating
  11. Cars 3 — 69% — 6.1 rating
  12. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets — 67% — 5.9 rating
  13. Despicable Me 3 — 60% — 5.7 rating
  14. 47 Meters Down — 54% — 5.5 rating
  15. The Dinner — 51% — 5.6 rating
  16. Rough Night — 48% — 5.4 rating
  17. Everything, Everything — 47% — 5.4 rating
  18. Snatched — 35% — 5.1 rating
  19. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales — 29% — 4.7 rating
  20. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword — 28% — 4.6 rating
  21. Wish Upon — 23% — 3.8 rating
  22. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul — 20% — 4.2 rating
  23. Baywatch — 19% — 4.0 rating
  24. The House — 17% — 3.6 rating
  25. All Eyez on Me — 16% — 4.3 rating
  26. The Mummy — 15% — 4.2 rating
  27. Transformers: The Last Knight — 15% — 3.3 rating

(Last summer half of the 42 wide-release films tracked were “rotten” on RT, and only 10 of the films had an 80+%.)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 6

So, which posters said there was not a snowball's chance in hell Apes would lose to Spidey this weekend?  Right now, I'd say it's a coin flip in favor of Spidey, but way too soon to call...

This is reason 3,427,121 why we let the weekends play out before we declare anything with 100% certainty...

War for the Planet of the Apes was always going to be a tough sell.  It is incredible, but it is the third movie in a fairly dour and not so fun series that doesn't appeal to everyone.  

The movie is great, so don't worry so much about how much it made, but more that it got made and it is really fucking good.  Not like they are depending on this to do a certain number so they can do another one right away.  

The Apes trilogy is much better, but this is sort of like Star Trek.  They waited too long between movies and the momentum didn't happen.  

• Like 11

Also watching Google Trends as "Apes" finally crossed over "Spiderman." These search terms reliably track the films historically. Will be interesting to watch if "Apes" really spikes into the night.8f5b622c4ffb597b03f319ee19fc6e76.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1