CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Didn't the entire discussion start with Han saying he hopes DM3 crashes and burns this weekend thanks to Emoji and then saying "Don't say it's just a kids movie" like that it meant to stave off arguments?

Nothing wrong with hoping DM3 will fail, especially with how bad Minions was.

The DM franchise is clearly in decline DOM.

13 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I really doubt it. A 5x is unheard of for most films aimed at a mostly black audience. In fact a five multiplier for any film is basically unheard of.

When I saw it over the weekend, it was in a nearly sold out theater split nearly half black/half white. Even the weekend demographics showed non-blacks made up 41% of the audience. It'll be surprised if it plays like an "urban" film and not a well-received mainstream comedy.

Also, there's no way word-of-mouth gonna be less than great across multiple audiences. The more hilarious scenes in the movie demand to be seen with a packed crowd (there were times the laughter got so loud that the movie was drowned out).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I actually think DM3 was decent like a C+. If we're being honest here, it's one of Illumination's better movies. But it wasn't as good as other animated comedies as say, Madagascar 3 or Rio.

If we count animated threequels: The ones that people like most are Toy Story 3, Madagascar 3 & Kung Fu Panda 3.

I really liked those afore mentioned films.

Why don't other animated studios make threequels as good and well-received as those films. Are some animated threequels trying to do similar mistakes as Shrek the Third? (which i liked, BTW...even if it's not the best one in the franchise). Wonder why?

• Community Manager
23 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Back to the netflix thing for a sec.

Considering Ive never been to a persons house thats not in film or loves movies that has there fucking motion blur turned off and the shittiest tv settings. Id say I have to agree with Nolan 

On the other hand, I hope Netflix buys your movie. Give people a chance to stumble upon it. Plus they pay you. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

If Nolan was around in 1986 he'd be making the same argument against home video and VHS. And while his technical arguments aren't wrong (it's an inferior way to watch a movie and in addition you lose out on the shared experience), in no way shape or form did it ruin the moviegoing experience or stop people from becoming huge fans of world cinema. 

You seem to be shifting a bit from Netflix in particular and streaming in general, Nolan didn't talk against streaming even praised Amazon.

It would be like if in 1992 everyone was respecting the theatrical windows for there VHS and that blockbuster started to produce movie they were releasing only in there blockbuster to rent at the same small price than the others movie, and Nolan talking about that strategy in particular that made little sense to him commercially (it cut all the other window revenue from them to gain little).

Nolan's talking about: he seems to think that somehow every company (and studio) will switch to their model when it seems clear (to me) that they are one particular outlet of distribution. 

And that is not a necessarily and unjustified fear, the issue is there is no studio company really anymore, they are all owned by a content reseller with not necessarily matching interest (maybe it would be good for at&t to have the movies day and date on their smartphone plan, but not necessarily for WB.

14 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I feel it with this one. The fantastic WOM will likely bleed into other audiences, especially when you look at the complete lack of competition. Comedy-wise, there's NOTHING for the rest of the summer. I suppose Bridesmaids and Hidden Figures would be the best immediate examples of big female-lead entertainment driven by great WOM.   

Good point. Id love to see this happen.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

There are a ton of assumptions here. I'm not sure I agree with any of them. But putting that aside, whether or not Netflix is ultimately successful as a company is beside the point of what Nolan's talking about: he seems to think that somehow every company (and studio) will switch to their model when it seems clear (to me) that they are one particular outlet of distribution. Their success or failure doesn't doom an industry. 

If Nolan was around in 1986 he'd be making the same argument against home video and VHS. And while his technical arguments aren't wrong (it's an inferior way to watch a movie and in addition you lose out on the shared experience), in no way shape or form did it ruin the moviegoing experience or stop people from becoming huge fans of world cinema. 

Nolan isn't the only person who feels this way though.

Ever visit Film-Tech forum? There are a bunch of theater owners and managers on that website who seem very concerned about Hollywood's push for day and date home video. Could very well kill theaters, but would also hurt the studios if theaters go out of business.

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Nothing wrong with hoping DM3 will fail, especially with how bad Minions was.

The DM franchise is clearly in decline DOM.

No. It is wrong to passionately hope for a film to fail.

Spreading negativity is not acceptable, at least from my part.

Especially while talking about such a harmless film.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I like that James Bond is ugly now.
I like that he doesn't have any gadgets.
I like that he's not good at shooting, doesn't say funny quips, or do any James Bond stuff.

Am aligned with that sentiment. Find Craig-Bond movies utterly over-rated, including Skyfall and CR.

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No. It is wrong to passionately hope for a film to fail.

Spreading negativity is not acceptable, at least from my part.

Especially while talking about such a harmless film.

At the end of the day, they're just films. I want Illumination to make better movies but I don't want workers to lose their jobs either.