CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-valerian-girls-trip-weekend-box-office-opening-1202132847/

‘Dunkirk’ To See Weekend Victory Of $51M+; ‘Girls Trip’ Hot At $27M+; ‘Valerian’ Falling To Earth With $16M

Friday, 2nd update, 12:47PM: Warner Bros.’ Dunkirk is poised to overperform as originally expected off its great word of mouth and film reviews. Industry estimates see the film landing between $19.5M-$22M today with three-day that’s at $51M-plus. That figure beats both the 3-day ($47.5M) and 5-day ($49.7M) of Christopher Nolan’s previous movie Interstellar. That sci-fi-think film cost $165M before P&A and was in the black with more than $47M-plus.  Dunkirk carries a net production cost around $150M. Some rival estimates even think Dunkirk could get to $57M-$59M.

In second, Universal’s R-rated Girls Trip looks to be the only comedy working this summer in regards to its less-than-$20M production cost. The Malcolm D. Lee-directed title is set to log $12.5M today per industry forecasts with a FSS take between $27.5M-$31M.

currently the holdovers look to make EuropaCorp/STXfilms’ Valerian, currently estimated around$16M over three-days, an afterthought with Spider-Man: Homecoming ($20M weekend 3), War for the Planet of the Apes ($18.5M) and Despicable Me 3 ($17M) piling on top of Luc Besson’s opus. Valerian is looking at $6M today based off midday matinees.

Very good number for Dunkirk. Could even go higher.

I think Dunkirk will be able to increase 20-25% on Saturday excluding previews, and then drop 10-15% on Sunday. Projections based on Deadline's numbers:

Pre: $5.5M

Fri: $14-16.5M

Sat: $16.8-20.6M

Sun: $14.2-18.5M

OW: $50.5-61.1M

Obviously that's quite a range. :lol: But I feel confident that $50M is a lock as long as the OD doesn't come in under $19.5M.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-valerian-girls-trip-weekend-box-office-opening-1202132847/

‘Dunkirk’ To See Weekend Victory Of $51M+; ‘Girls Trip’ Hot At $27M+; ‘Valerian’ Falling To Earth With $16M

Friday, 2nd update, 12:47PM: Warner Bros.’ Dunkirk is poised to overperform as originally expected off its great word of mouth and film reviews. Industry estimates see the film landing between $19.5M-$22M today with three-day that’s at $51M-plus. That figure beats both the 3-day ($47.5M) and 5-day ($49.7M) of Christopher Nolan’s previous movie Interstellar. That sci-fi-think film cost $165M before P&A and was in the black with more than $47M-plus.  Dunkirk carries a net production cost around $150M. Some rival estimates even think Dunkirk could get to $57M-$59M.

In second, Universal’s R-rated Girls Trip looks to be the only comedy working this summer in regards to its less-than-$20M production cost. The Malcolm D. Lee-directed title is set to log $12.5M today per industry forecasts with a FSS take between $27.5M-$31M.

currently the holdovers look to make EuropaCorp/STXfilms’ Valerian, currently estimated around$16M over three-days, an afterthought with Spider-Man: Homecoming ($20M weekend 3), War for the Planet of the Apes ($18.5M) and Despicable Me 3 ($17M) piling on top of Luc Besson’s opus. Valerian is looking at $6M today based off midday matinees.

War at $18.5M...dang, that would be under even my low expectation...

4 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Lol at those fycking hilarious ass drops for Apes and Spidey. Timber!!

Nah...54% for Spidey would be right on target for most folks' estimates on the board of a 53-55% drop for this weekend...and still could do a little better, but still could do a little worse...

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

$59m would be insane for Dunkirk, it's just cement Nolan as a draw but Warner Bros did an excellent job marketing it as it wasn't an easy sell on paper.

I think the real draw is Nolan's epic scope. If he made a small, quiet movie, he wouldn't be a draw.

• Like 1