Finnick

Thursday Numbers: DUNKIRK:$5.19M | GT:$3.17M | SMH:$2.77M | APES:$2.02M | GRU:$1.96M | WW:$0.65M .....NOT THE WW OSCAR PUSH THREAD (take it to the WW thread)

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

WW domination is one of most pleasant surprises this year outside of horror breakouts and BatB's run (I'm most impressed by its OS performance cause musicals have never been very big OS, certainly nowhere near 700M+).

Mamma Mia! is probably the exception to musical films not being as big OS to this due to the popularity of ABBA! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Mamma Mia! is probably the exception to musical films not being as big OS to this due to the popularity of ABBA! 

Ah, yes! Exception to the rule! I mean, cartoon musicals such as Frozen are also big but live action musicals has never been OS favorite genre in the sense of posting numbers comparable to action movies. So more power to Mama Mia and BatB.

Edited by Valonqar

25 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

That's great. Under 50% drop is pretty much locked in now. With previews being such a high % of OW, that would be a great hold.

Guessing at least $27m for the weekend, but could push for $30m.

It is skewing a lot older than Nolan's other summer films. 75% over age 25 on opening weekend. That is a wild card that could help the Friday/Saturday numbers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Don't overreact guys. No one was saying yesterday that it was the end of the world for Dunkrik but that was a number that could have been better after the mediocre Tuesday bump. I don't get what's there to make a discussion about.

The mediocre Tuesday bump was result of a strong Monday hold that nulled the Tuesday number.

Just now, AHepBurn said:

For those who missed it, Variety put out an article yesterday on a possible Oscar push for Wonder Woman. Buried in the article was this particular line.

The studio’s efforts will include reintroducing the film this fall, to scarce few who may not have seen it.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/wonder-woman-oscars-patty-jenkins-gal-gadot-comic-book-1202509132/

So it looks like Wonder Woman is indeed getting an expansion later. Likely not just for Oscar consideration but also for promotion for Justice League.

It's standard operating procedure for studios to do "For Your Consideration" ads for their major releases. Even Green Lantern got them. 

Fans are reading way too much into that.

• Like 1

There wasn't an overreaction yesterday? I saw some over reactions. Especially this idea that it was supposed to have a huge Tuesday number when Monday was obviously inflated.

1.5mil Atomic blonde doesn't seem like anything special. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It's standard operating procedure for studios to do "For Your Consideration" ads for their major releases. Even Green Lantern got them. 

Fans are reading way too much into that.

No theyre not.

This is not a standard for your consideration. There's going to be major marketing dollars put behind an Oscar push. This is far from standard buddy. This is the year to do it. Getting a female nominated as best director for a comic book movie would be historic and I think Warner Brothers, based on the article, is going to spare no expense to try to get that done.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

There wasn't an overreaction yesterday? I'm so some over reactions. Especially this idea that it was supposed to have a huge Tuesday number when Monday was obviously inflated.

Tuesday was fine. It's playing strong in IMAX, which has almost zero discounts. The Wednesday drop was harsh and I don't think anyone expected it to stay flat on Thursday. 

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

No theyre not.

This is not a standard for your consideration. There's going to be major marketing dollars put behind an Oscar push. This is far from standard buddy. This is the year to do it. Getting a female nominated as best director for a comic book movie would be historic and I think Warner Brothers, based on the article, is going to spare no expense to try to get that done.

Trust me. I've seen this before. It is.

The Dark Knight Rises (their big bread-winner for '12), for example, got a push... when the whole time WB knew Argo was their real shot at Oscar victory. 

Giving Wonder Woman all the talk aloud but there is no way they will take away their Oscar-campaign cash from getting their prized horse, one Mr. Nolan, his Oscar.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

So what you're saying is that the article is wrong and Warner Brothers is not going to make a push for the Oscars. Sorry buddy but I don't buy it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The Dark Knight Rises (their big bread-winner for '12), for example, got a push... when the whole time WB knew Argo was their real shot at Oscar victory. 

Giving Wonder Woman all the talk aloud but there is no way they will take away their Oscar-campaign cash from getting their prized horse, one Mr. Nolan, his Oscar.

Why do people act as if a major Hollywood studio did not have enough money to push TWO movies for the Oscar race? Is that such a crazy idea? Pushing them both is not going to impact each other either way: I bet that voters will not go, "Wait? WB has both Dunkirk and Wonder Woman trying to get into the Oscar race?? Fuck that shit! I ain't voting for either one then!!" 

• Like 5

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

So what you're saying is that the article is wrong and Warner Brothers is not going to make a push for the Oscars. Sorry buddy but I don't buy it.

I am saying that this isn't anything we haven't seen before (These articles are nothing but puff pieces). Warner Brothers held "For Your Consideration" screenings for Superman Returns

If you loved Wonder Woman, God bless ya. But stop for a second to think it legit has a shot at Oscar gold. If any of these films had a chance, it would be Logan... and that won't happen either.

• Like 3