CJohn

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Disney+

Heading to bed, but I just found out this nice piece of trivia regarding the second episode:

Spoilers, so I'll put it in the box:

Spoiler

That drug dealer is played by one of Ewan McGregor's Real Life daughters, Esther-Rose McGregor.

Ben: "I'm looking for my daughter"

Dealer: Want some drugs, pops spice, old man?

That scene was already good, not to mention funny, but finding out that's his RL daughter just cracks me up. :lol: 

That must have been a great day on set! 👍

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Great first two episodes 

Spoiler

They really going hard on showing Order 66 the last couple of shows lol

Loved it ❤️ direction great, visuals great, acting is awesome! 

One small thing I didn't like 

Spoiler

the running particularly young Leia was so slow and cheesy that it felt super out of place for the tone ... but I'll get over it.

Then again for that to be the one thing I'm complaining about means the show has started out pretty freaking great. 

• Like 1

First two episodes were overall good. Non-spoilery thoughts first.

Ewan doing well as world-weary PTSD Obi-Wan, a few thousand-yard stares to boot.

Reva right now is treading a really fine line between acceptable ham and extreme ham. Some of the writing between the Inquisitors is a bit patchy.

The first episode felt a little padded, probably could have used a trim of a couple scenes. The second episode had some severe lighting issues in a few scenes.

Williams' theme for Obi-Wan definitely works better in the context of the episodes than as a standalone piece.

Kumail being Kumail.

Now on to the spoilery thoughts:

Spoiler

They nailed young Leia. The sass, the energy, the instincts. Great find. Making Leia the initial Macguffin ties into Rogue One with how Bail knows Obi-Wan is up to task and why he'd use Leia to reach out to him instead of going himself.

As Porthos has stated, the Grand Inquisitor ain't dead. But he's probably going to be pissed, and I would not be surprised if he is the ultimate end for Reva after she fails one too many times.

I think having a random Jedi traveling through Tatooine in Episode 1 was a clumsy way to get Obi-Wan emotionally nudged into returning to the fight. I think they could have just had that minor thing as a scene or two on a random planet to introduce the Inquisitors and keep the Obi-Wan motivation on Luke/Leia/Bail.

If this is it for Daiyu then I think hope we revisit since a Blade-Runner esque city is a ripe place for material.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

The best part of both episodes was early on when Obi Wan's

Hide contents

jawa friend visits him.  I could watch a whole episode of Obi Wan and that jawa just hanging out bullshitting about anything

Spoiler

"Cleaning costs extra"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

First two episodes were overall good. Non-spoilery thoughts first.

Ewan doing well as world-weary PTSD Obi-Wan, a few thousand-yard stares to boot.

Reva right now is treading a really fine line between acceptable ham and extreme ham. Some of the writing between the Inquisitors is a bit patchy.

The first episode felt a little padded, probably could have used a trim of a couple scenes. The second episode had some severe lighting issues in a few scenes.

Williams' theme for Obi-Wan definitely works better in the context of the episodes than as a standalone piece.

Kumail being Kumail.

Now on to the spoilery thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

That's basically my opinion line for line as well, so I'll just quote it and leave it at that ;)

A few hiccups here and there, but overall a good start. Definately potential for more.

• Like 1

Spoiler

People were complaining before that the grand inquisitor didn’t look like he does in the animated series. So I don’t see why folks are angry. For all we know the grand inquisitor is a title. And this dude just died and there’s gonna be another one that looks animated accurate later 😘

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I overall enjoyed it, but it felt clunky and didn't really live up to my expectations. So far about a 7/10, hopefully it improves.  

Spoiler

Beginning with flashbacks from the prequels is a great way to put me on board. Also enjoyed the intro scene with the Inquisitors. 

However, Reva is not doing it for me as a villain. She feels really one-note and forced. The Grand Inquisitor is cool as ever, but it seems like he's gonna be out of commission for a while as he recovers from his injury. I think the Inquisitor dynamic needs work, it felt repetitive. 

Ewan is great of course. Wasn't a huge fan of the extreme reluctance from Obi-Wan in episode 1 to help Leia. It would make sense if he didn't already know how important Leia is -- but he does, so this felt like spinning wheels until the inevitable conclusion was reached.  

John Williams theme is fantastic and already stuck in my head. Plays really well throughout.

Didn't have an issue with the effects but the action sequences in episode 2 felt uncreative. Overall the show is stronger with character moments, but episode 2 suffers from being basically a long slow-paced chase. 

Daiyu was cool but underused. 

I like young Leia. 

• Like 2

@Wondy was already talking with me privately about this, and I agreed that this would not be a surprise given the circumstances.

(incredibly light implied spoilers for the literal first few minutes of Obi-Wan Kenobi)

((though come to think of it, it also could refer to later scenes as well, but the first scene really stands out))

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/disney-adds-obi-wan-kenobi-content-warning-after-texas-school-shooting-1235280297/

Disney+ added a warning to the page of “Obi-Wan Kenobi” that some viewers may find “certain scenes” in the Star Wars series “upsetting.” 

That appeared to be in response to the mass shooting earlier this week at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, that left 19 children dead.

A message on some Disney+ accounts on the “Obi-Wan Kenobi” landing page on Friday read, “Although this fictional series is a continuation of the story from Star Wars movies filmed many years ago, some scenes may be upsetting to viewers in light of the recent tragic events. Warning: Contains violence involving children.”

Later in the day, that message appeared to have been shortened, with the update on Disney+ now reading: “There are certain scenes in this fictional series that some viewers may find upsetting.”

The details section for “Obi-Wan” also includes a disclaimer that reads, “Some flashing light sequences or patterns may affect photosensitive viewers.”

The timing was... Well, I'd normally use was "unfortunate", but that word pales when the tragedy in Texas is taken into account.  

Wording appears to be still in flux, so I wouldn't be surprised if it keeps getting tweaked.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Observation from reddit:

Spoiler

[–]Leskanic 325 points  

Never thought about it before, but I'm liking that we finally get to see a solid individual reason for Leia to want to name her kid after Ben Kenobi.

000.gif

(right thread this time :lol:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Menor Reborn said:

Also

Hide contents

I hope we get an explanation on how Reva knows so much, because right now it kinda seems like she's watched Revenge of the Sith. I thought Vader=Anakin was a pretty confidential thing, not to be blabbed to a low-level Inquisitor. 

I think it works just fine, at least to a certain extend.

Spoiler

If the early part is any indication, Reva is one of the Jedi children we see in the flashback to Order 66. It's possible that she had met Anakin before. And since Jedi can (at times) feel the presence of each other, she might have felt who Vader really is. That being said, it might have worked better if she had only said the line about Vader, without the following one mentioning Anakin. That way Obi-Wan still would have found out that Anakin was alive, but which group of people knew about Vader's true identity would have been more obscure.

On a different note, one thing that popped into my head this night:

As fitting of a reason having to save Leia is for Kenobi to get back into action, the two meeting doesn't seem to fit all that well to ANH. I mean, you could explain it away with a little more "from a certain point of view" stuff, but the hologram-message doesn't give any indication that Leia has met Kenobi before. She adresses him as General Kenobi, and refers to him having helped her father during the Clone Wars, which is rather odd when the two have met and he literally came to save her life after the Clone Wars. She also refers to him as Obi-Wan, not Ben, though I guess that could be explained by her adressing the Jedi, not the person who went into hiding.

It's not a big issue, but certainly stretching the story a bit.

• Like 4

Spoiler

Having reeva kill the grand inquisitor without giving him any action sequence or highlight was super dumb and is a major disservice to the fans of the character.

Really enjoyed this, all the scenes with obi wan were great
and found leia charming . The
Dialogue was really clunky esp with the inquisitors . 
Sweet Jesus no offence but reeva character can't act for shit. Yikes.

Enjoyed episode 1 for it's slow introspective narrative and enjoyed episode 2 for it's action.

Shout out to kumail ,loved him in this.

Cgi was rough at places.

And 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:
  Hide contents

Having reeva kill the grand inquisitor without giving him any action sequence or highlight was super dumb and is a major disservice to the fans of the character.

Really enjoyed this, all the scenes with obi wan were great
and found leia charming . The
Dialogue was really clunky esp with the inquisitors . 
Sweet Jesus no offence but reeva character can't act for shit. Yikes.

Enjoyed episode 1 for it's slow introspective narrative and enjoyed episode 2 for it's action.

Shout out to kumail ,loved him in this.

Cgi was rough at places.

And 

Spoiler

He's not dead, since this is the same Grand Inquisitor who appears in Star Wars Rebels, which starts a few years after this. Most likely next episode will reveal he is alive  and extremely pissed off at Reva

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seen the episodes twice now, solid 8/10 so far for me. Honestly the most annoying thing to me is 

Spoiler

The Leia chase scenes! Her legs are so tiny they should catch her with a brisk walk! :hahaha:
I want less running from her and even more sass!

@Porthos or anyone who can answer this. Is it necessary to watch previous SW shows to watch this? I have only watched Mandalorian S1 and am yet to see S2 as well as The Book of Boba Fett both of which I plan on watching soon. I have not seen nor plan to see Clone Wars animated series.