That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Nomination talk for Rylance in Dunkirk is crazy to me. And I think he deserved it for Bridge of Spies, but here I'm on the side of Michael Shannon. What did he even do?

Saw Dunkirk last night, could not tell what he did but it is by far the character I remember the most with Hardy, he just had some serious gravita and screen presence (or was just the only old guy...).

6 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Me and @Nova are definitely on the same page with The hitman's Bodyguard. It's easily the best time I've had at the theater so far this year and I laughed my ass off in. Salma Hayek Steeles and every goddamn scene she's in your hands senegence faces are epic and Ryan does the Ryan thing. I'm definitely going to go see it again and I'm definitely going to recommend all my friends to go as well. I'm expecting a 20% above its Day from the true Friday number.

This is one of the films where there's a clear disconnect between audience and critics. The two audiences I watched it with were very responsive to it. It's definitely a fun time at the theater and that's why I think audiences like it. 

But I also think Lionsgate did a good job in handling the release of this film. They let it screen at Cinemacon so exhibitors knew the film they were getting and then also had hundreds of screenings for the film to start the WOM.  It's like they knew critics would have sticks up their asses so they let the GA see it early on to generate positive WOM that would go against what it's RT score suggests. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

People actually think Annabelle is having a good hold? :wintf: 

Not sure what they mean exactly by that the first annabelle: -57.3%, why a second weekend around -59% would be good (would it not be simply a normal hold ?)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's only August. I can easily see that movie getting left out. 

I'll be very surprised if it gets left out. It's bound to get a slew of tech noms and it's WB's main film to push this year (last year was just an off year for them, even though I guess Sully theoretically should've checked off a lot of boxes for them).

So with that OD for Hitman,'it should do $20-$22 million OW. Which wouldn't be too bad, as its weekly will be between $27-$30 million. Then it's second weekend would be ok too with $10-$13 million, with a total of $37-$41 million. Then a weekly total of $16-$17 million, with $41-$45 million. 

Weekend 3 with Labor Day could help a boost with a $50 million total.$54 million by September 8. 

Legs will be interesting for it as it could make $60-$70 million total. But furthermore tomorrow as this should play very well near the end of the worst Summer since 1992.

15 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Nomination talk for Rylance in Dunkirk is crazy to me. And I think he deserved it for Bridge of Spies, but here I'm on the side of Michael Shannon. What did he even do?

The cynic in me is hoping he hits all the precursors, usually each show tries to use a different clip to mix things up, they would be hard pressed with Rylance.

Literally never heard of  Patti Cake$ until this thread, the lead reminds me of a grown up Honey Boo Boo TBH...

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's only August. I can easily see that movie getting left out. 

If the grand budapest hotel can secure BD and BP although released in march and so too Mad Max in May, I can't see why Dunkirk miss out, with Dunkirk being more oscar-friendly 

Unless the fall festivals give us a whole bunch of new definitive contenders (which, who knows) this could end up being a pretty slim Oscar year. I can picture a Best Picture line-up of like 7 movies. Would be pleasantly surprised with the usual 9.

13 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

I'm curious would the mayweather/mcgregor fight have an impact on the box office next weekend? 

That match is going to be a dud. It's hype is almost non-existent especially compared to Pac vs Mayweather. 

I completely forgot it was even this weekend. 

Yes, it being a homage doesn't take from it's quality but it stops it from being any special. Sorry, but movies like la la land, a good movie comes every year, while blockbusters like inception, interstellar, and dunkrik don't. Tell me when damian chazelle does something like that.

The shade in this Collider article regarding this weekends box office results though :lol:

Last year, the big-studio graveyard known widely as August got a not-at-all surprising boost. In 2016, David Ayer‘s Suicide Squad, a movie that no one should ever see, made $133.6 million at the domestic box office, besting Guardians of the Galaxy, a movie that most people should watch, to nab the biggest August opening of all time. 

• Haha 1