That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

3 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

My homage point was completely wrong, but I do stand by everything else I said. Comparing la la land to nolan's filmography is like comparing shakespeare in love to cameron's filmography.

Also, jake how can I explain fewer directors thing? This might get wierd. Ofcourse, a person will make a movie with his own style. 

But I think spielberg and cameron are part of a group of directors with fewer members than a group with roman polanski, tarantino, scorsese, sofia coppola. Groups are by whose work will be more remembered. And I think chazelle will be in the later group while nolan in the first group.  

Well it's almost 50 years later and here we are discussing Rosemary's Baby and Polanski so I'm not quite sure what your point actually is.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Han just rent the movie off of Google Play or something.  like right now.  it's fantastic.

The runtime always turned me off when I intended on renting it a few months back :kitschjob: You just gotta be in the right mood, y'know? Plus I still have Stalker sitting on my closet shelf to watch and that's a similar runtime.

3 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

My homage point was completely wrong, but I do stand by everything else I said. Comparing la la land to nolan's filmography is like comparing shakespeare in love to cameron's filmography.

Also, jake how can I explain fewer directors thing? This might get wierd. Ofcourse, a person will make a movie with his own style. 

But I think spielberg and cameron are part of a group of directors with fewer members than a group with roman polanski, tarantino, scorsese, sofia coppola. Groups are by whose work will be more remembered. And I think chazelle will be in the later group while nolan in the first group.  

to put it more plainly i think you're separating filmmakers who are respected by film school types and filmmakers who are liked by regular joes. i might quibble with a few of your selections i think they have certain films that transcend that but in terms of overall oeuvres your probably right.

i'm still not sure what chazelle ends up being he's still too green. the sounds of his next picture makes me unsure he'll find a home in either group.

• Like 1

I just need to type. I Wanted to see Hitman’s Bodyguard but my brother came round stoned so I finally gave in and chose to watch my second Netflix Original Movie ever “What Happened To Monday”.

Instead of a movie about 7 well trained sisters fighting the system (like the ads suggest) I got a depressing and incredibly gruesome horror movie about a loving family trying to survive.

I had to turn the thing off an hour into it because the shit just brought me down. It was horrible. If I had paid a ticket I would’ve walked out. I think Netflix just made the film I hated most this summer and it’s all because they mis-sold it.

• Like 2

I'm interested in seeing THB's Saturday number. It's selling ahead of yesterday by a good margin here and the day isn't even over yet lol 

The 11 AM showing was sold out again 

1 PM had 30 tickets which was down by a little from yesterday's but the 4PM showing is looking at 70 tickets which is waaaaay more than it did yesterday. 7PM and 10PM are right where yesterday were too at the same point in time. 

Just now, AJG said:

I just need to type. I Wanted to see Hitman’s Bodyguard but my brother came round stoned so I finally gave in and chose to watch my second Netflix Original Movie ever “What Happened To Monday”.

Instead of a movie about 7 well trained sisters fighting the system (like the ads suggest) I got a depressing and incredibly gruesome horror movie about a loving family trying to survive.

I had to turn the thing off an hour into it because the shit just brought me down. It was horrible. If I had paid a ticket I would’ve walked out. I think Netflix just made the film I hated most this summer and it’s all because they mis-sold it.

Nothing pisses me off more than a film that's marketed one way and then ends up being completely different. 

• Like 1

For a musical La la land had mediocre singing and dancing and that's a problem. Emma Stone's acting was good, but everything else average. I don't think it will become a classic.

where are the great dancers of the past?!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Good thing I knew what I was getting into with It Comes at Night :sparta: 

Example A of false advertising giving a movie a horrible audience score and killing its BO prospects after the first day 

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

For a musical La la land had mediocre singing and dancing and that's a problem. Emma Stone's acting was good, but everything else average. I don't think it will become a classic.

where are the great dancers of the past?!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The original point was still "La La Land doesn't measure up to anything Nolan's ever done because..." well first it was because homage, then it became because Nolan does big-budget cultural phenomenon type films. That still in no way works as an argument for the original opinion in my eyes, but whatever.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm interested in seeing THB's Saturday number. It's selling ahead of yesterday by a good margin here and the day isn't even over yet lol 

The 11 AM showing was sold out again 

1 PM had 30 tickets which was down by a little from yesterday's but the 4PM showing is looking at 70 tickets which is waaaaay more than it did yesterday. 7PM and 10PM are right where yesterday were too at the same point in time. 

I haven't paid much attention but the 130pm here sold literally double - 88 compared to 44 yesterday.  I'm sure the 1045am trounced yesterday (28 tickets) but missed it.  The 415pm is 98 right now (probably will get another 10 at least) vs 67 yesterday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The original point was still "La La Land doesn't measure up to anything Nolan's ever done because..." well first it was because homage, then it became because Nolan does big-budget cultural phenomenon type films. That still in no way works as an argument for the original opinion in my eyes, but whatever.

Let me just say that since I'm the one who started the whole La La Land doesn't add up nonsense. 

Thats just my opinion. If others disagree that's fine. In the end there's really no way to prove one way or the other. 

Whether one thinks La La Land does measure up to Nolan's filmography is a matter of opinion just like thinking it doesn't hold up, is a matter of opinion too. 

Trying to prove an opinion to be fact is pointless because it's all about taste and what someone likes versus what they don't like. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

La La Land is better than Nolan's last 3, Following, and maaaaaaaybe Insomnia. The Prestige is on par, and the rest of his films are better. However, Whiplash is only better than Following and maybe TDKR and Interstellar

Edited by WrathOfHan

I have gotten too deep into this for defending the nolan every film> LLL. I do like LLL very much. 

9 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Well it's almost 50 years later and here we are discussing Rosemary's Baby and Polanski so I'm not quite sure what your point actually is.

Tell me seriously, what comes to your mind first when someone mentions polanski? For most people, it is a child molestor. And even than he is still in way less people's memory than hitchcock. Let alone spielberg and cameron. But I have already taken this LLL> nolan conversation in way different direction. Now I am aimlessly just trying to prove a subjective opinion that movies like la la land are not as special as nolan's work.  

1 minute ago, Rumpot said:

I haven't paid much attention but the 130pm here sold literally double - 88 compared to 44 yesterday.  I'm sure the 1045am trounced yesterday (28 tickets) but missed it.  The 415pm is 98 right now (probably will get another 10 at least) vs 67 yesterday.

Sweet! 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Nothing pisses me off more than a film that's marketed one way and then ends up being completely different. 

The worst I’ve ever seen a movie be mis-sold is Sweeny Todd.

Here’s the trailer:

Without prior knowledge of the property would you have known this movie was a full blown 100% musical like Les Mis? It took me years to rewatch and forgive the movie.