That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

20 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Well all of that might be true about the film Detroit but the film is based on eyewitness accounts of what happened that night. It's based on the accusers of the police. And I have heard some very prominent black celebrities say that the movie was very powerful and very well done. So all the white people at this site might think it's a liberal film from white people made for white people but there's plenty of black people out there who feel differently.

None of these things really contradict each other.

52 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's a movie made by white people for white people. 

Having said that I don't think that's a bad thing either. Black people in the USA do not need to recount or watch what has happened and what is currently happening to them. 

But I think a lot of folks especially white folks who are #AllLivesMatter or the let's pray and hope crowd, need a slap in the face to awaken them and see that nothing has changed. 

Unfortunately people like that were never going to watch Detroit regardless of who made it.  

It's not a bad thing, but your last sentence is sadly the key one I think. Which is also why, before making a movie, people should always ask themselves: "What's the priority here? Am I doing this because I want to tell a good/powerful/compelling story, or because I want to make an Important Statement about The Way Things Are?" Cause if the latter is more important to you, well, congrats on preaching to the choir. (This is not necessarily about Bigelow and Boal - they walked this tightrope pretty well in both The Hurt Locker and ZDT, at least - but everyone for whom the main thing about a movie is how Important and Relevant and Much-Needed In This Climate it is). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

I hated Dunkirk and loved Detroit. Both show brutality in different ways, although I did not give a crap about any of the characters in Dunkirk, save one and he died. I love my country- USA, but it comes down to race relations being an embarrassment to America and an issue that it still refuses to face, while WWII was a glorious time for America. Americans like to thump their chests about defeating Nazis, but often cower in denial when faced with the fact that racism is still very real in their own backyard. That is why movies like Detroit will underperform more often than not and the Dunkirks of the movie industry  will succeed.

There are no Americans in Dunkirk. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm on shaky ground here cause I haven't seen it (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but everything I've read about Detroit from people whom I trust makes it sound like a movie made for white liberals to somberly nod at. It might be extremely well-made but even without its total box-office failure I'd be skeptical of it actually changing anyone's mind about anything. 

I've seen it been called the liberal Bayghazi on Letterboxd and I don't know how to feel :kitschjob: 

1 hour ago, Diana Prince said:

I hated Dunkirk and loved Detroit. Both show brutality in different ways, although I did not give a crap about any of the characters in Dunkirk, save one and he died. I love my country- USA, but it comes down to race relations being an embarrassment to America and an issue that it still refuses to face, while WWII was a glorious time for America. Americans like to thump their chests about defeating Nazis, but often cower in denial when faced with the fact that racism is still very real in their own backyard. That is why movies like Detroit will underperform more often than not and the Dunkirks of the movie industry  will succeed.

Nonsense.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

How the hell did Nut Job only decrease by 39% 

:winomg:

Last weekend, no discounts...

This weekend, Fandango BOGO...

Also, some Moviepass folks didn't need to wait to use their new cards...

Aka, the power of the discount...I think all the holdovers got help from that fact...

I mean, Nut Job 2 sold out its cheap morning weekend matinees its opening weekend here...and then died all day...when all the showings are now cheap matinee price (or cheaper), of course it will attract folks in...

A family of 4 might not pay $75 to see Nut Job 2 ($60 tickets and $15 popcorn/soda), but they might pay $45...there's always a "mental price limit" for all entertainment when you have a budget...those same folks might have figured if they waited, deals would come (b/c they always do) and they did...ask JC Penney's how hard it is to get folks to adapt to always paying full price when you already got folks used to sales almost all the time... 

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

What would theaters even replace them with

It's gonna be Leap...one more throwaway animation for another...I mean, Leap should probably be able to make $3M, which is all Nut Job 2 would be looking at next weekend anyway...might as well bet on the original and hope it can creep up a little...

• Like 1