That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Detroit is a film that needed to be made. 

Its just not a film that needed to be released right now. 

It's the movie we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we will have to chase it....on bluray.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Because Detroit is the movie we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt for it on HV. Because Bigelow can take it. Because she's not our hero. she's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. And James Cameron's ex-wife.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, a2knet said:

It's the movie we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we will have to chase it....on bluray.

8 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Because Detroit is the movie we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt for it on HV. Because Bigelow can take it. Because she's not our hero. she's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. And James Cameron's ex-wife.

I was going to include that scene but I didn't want anyone thinking I was cracking jokes :ph34r:

• Like 1

@MCKillswitch123 Annabelle told The Dark Tower to fuck off. I am very surprised. Incredible hold for Annabelle while The Dark Tower disappointed big time.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_17_a_20_agosto_2017_1129306462599acb9ff0be4.pdf

Annabelle 2 has a nearly 30.000 tickets advantage over The Conjuring 2 at the same point of his run :sparta: (66.000 tickets vs 93.000 tickets)

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Detroit looks like a good film.

But it also looks like a hard one to watch. 

I think that's the main problem. 

edBQBeJ.gif

• Like 2

War of Apes and Detroit double features would be a bright ray of sunshine. Served with some bitter cocoa and spinach, instead of coke and popcorn.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

I'm on shaky ground here cause I haven't seen it (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but everything I've read about Detroit from people whom I trust makes it sound like a movie made for white liberals to somberly nod at. It might be extremely well-made but even without its total box-office failure I'd be skeptical of it actually changing anyone's mind about anything. 

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm on shaky ground here cause I haven't seen it (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but everything I've read about Detroit from people whom I trust makes it sound like a movie made for white liberals to somberly nod at. It might be extremely well-made but even without its total box-office failure I'd be skeptical of it actually changing anyone's mind about anything. 

Not being from (and never lived) the USA it is hard to judge, but it is probably not something that is easy for white liberals to not at, at least not all the way.

Spoiler

It does not make the black population look that good, the meme of them destroying their own neighborhood and business during riots and being just worst of of them is there, it establish how much of a war zone it was pushing some of the people in authority into war mode, it did not felt that much like a propaganda piece (it does explore well how the complete and large power structure did let it happen too, even if they were angry after realising that it did and not just an isolated small group of bad cops.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

That's... actually a pretty accurate reading. It's a great film, but you can definitely tell it was written and directed by white people any time it (respectfully and earnestly) tries to capture the feel of the Motown scene. It's also quite unequivocal about Will Poulter's character being an unrepentant monster, which won't reach any viewers who assume it's just going to be a biased anti-cop hit piece (even though there are quite a few lines intended to emphasize the fact that he and the other crooked cops in the film are absolutely not reflective of all law enforcement).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's a movie made by white people for white people. 

Having said that I don't think that's a bad thing either. Black people in the USA do not need to recount or watch what has happened and what is currently happening to them. 

But I think a lot of folks especially white folks who are #AllLivesMatter or the let's pray and hope crowd, need a slap in the face to awaken them and see that nothing has changed. 

Unfortunately people like that were never going to watch Detroit regardless of who made it.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not being from (and never lived) the USA it is hard to judge, but it is probably not something that is easy for white liberals to not at, at least not all the way.

Well obviously I'm in the UK, so in the same boat. But my neighbours were US air force and their son and my son went to school together.

He is a Florida cop now and the things he tells me when he's back over visiting makes for pretty sobering listening.

Well all of that might be true about the film Detroit but the film is based on eyewitness accounts of what happened that night. It's based on the accusers of the police. And I have heard some very prominent black celebrities say that the movie was very powerful and very well done. So all the white people at this site might think it's a liberal film from white people made for white people but there's plenty of black people out there who feel differently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Annabelle told The Dark Tower to fuck off. I am very surprised. Incredible hold for Annabelle while The Dark Tower disappointed big time.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_17_a_20_agosto_2017_1129306462599acb9ff0be4.pdf

Annabelle 2 has a nearly 30.000 tickets advantage over The Conjuring 2 at the same point of his run :sparta: (66.000 tickets vs 93.000 tickets)

Who would've thunk that a creepy doll in its 2nd weekend sells more tickets than Idris Elba, Stephen King and ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT?

(Just about everyone :ph34r:)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated Dunkirk and loved Detroit. Both show brutality in different ways, although I did not give a crap about any of the characters in Dunkirk, save one and he died. I love my country- USA, but it comes down to race relations being an embarrassment to America and an issue that it still refuses to face, while WWII was a glorious time for America. Americans like to thump their chests about defeating Nazis, but often cower in denial when faced with the fact that racism is still very real in their own backyard. That is why movies like Detroit will underperform more often than not and the Dunkirks of the movie industry  will succeed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Who would've thunk that a creepy doll in its 2nd weekend sells more tickets than Idris Elba, Stephen King and ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT?

(Just about everyone :ph34r:)

Even NOS decided to keep Annabelle on the biggest screens. The writing was on the wall.

• Like 1