WrathOfHan

Lady Bird | Wide on November 24 | Now at 99% on RT #CRUMBLING

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

It's a good movie but did anyone else watch this and wonder where the ECSTATIC praise is coming from? It's a very sweet coming-of age story with some good performances. Now tell me...does that sentence scream "best film of the year?" 

1 hour ago, RichWS said:

I had the thought afterwards that the lavish praise might have raised my expectations a bit too high. I enjoyed it very much (Ronan is terrific), but it didn't hit me the way I was hoping going in. That said, I think I had the same issue with Dunkirk this summer and it really clicked the second time around.

Same. Also, it kind of rubs me the wrong way that Edge of Seventeen got next to no attention while this is in contention for BP :kitschjob: 

Biggest problem is there were no revelations or surprises. The film is exactly what you expect it to be, right down to the standard indie cinematography and unmemorable score.

These aren't nitpicks, these are the differences between good movies and great ones. 

• Like 1

It's a very good movie, I think it's less that critics are fawning over it and more that it's widely appealing.

There aren't any polarizing decisions made in the movie that could turn some people off.  That's both a good thing and a bad thing.

14 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

It's a very good movie, I think it's less that critics are fawning over it and more that it's widely appealing.

There aren't any polarizing decisions made in the movie that could turn some people off.  That's both a good thing and a bad thing.

It's a fairly neutral film. I wouldn't say it's anything extraordinary either, it's just that it does what it does well, especially for a "indie film". I couldn't think of any big flaws, and the cast is mostly great from top to bottom too. In fact the more I think about Lady Bird, especially coming out of the theater, the more I like it. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

It's a good movie but did anyone else watch this and wonder where the ECSTATIC praise is coming from? It's a very sweet coming-of age story with some good performances. Now tell me...does that sentence scream "best film of the year?" 

I agree.  It's good but far from OH MY GOD THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME.  The first half really brings the film down.

• Like 1